We’ve been in this house for just over five months and, with the turn of the year on the calendar, it seemed like a good time to share a recap of what we’ve accomplished.
This house has been an interesting project for me, because it is beautiful as is. It doesn’t need a major makeover. Nothing is hideous or dated. Even the plum-colored wall in the basement hasn’t bothered me enough to paint over it. The nice thing is that there doesn’t need to be a sense of urgency to work on projects. We can move at a comfortable pace as time and budget allow.
These makeovers are about customization and making this house feel like ours.
And that has meant buckets and buckets of paint! Paint is always my go-to and it, once again, has proved its worth.
In the living room we…
- Painted the walls in Whickham Gray by Benjamin Moore
- Painted the cabinetry and fireplace surround in a custom white
- Changed out the hardware to glass pulls (shown in the picture below)
The room that has received the biggest makeover is the studio.
In the studio we…
- Had the ceiling, floor, and outside walls insulated
- Installed a mini-split heating/cooling unit
- Primed and painted everything – the walls, ceiling, floor, trim, and doors.
- Swapped the ceiling fan for a chandelier
Here are some posts with details about the makeover…
The kitchen is another space that received a big makeover.
In the kitchen we…
- Replaced the appliances (the fridge and dishwasher needed to be replaced and we wanted to replace the electric stove with a beefy gas range.)
- Painted the cabinetry and replace the hardware with glass pulls
- Swapped out the lights above the island
- Hung my beloved pot rack
- Installed open shelving in the “nook”
In the dining room, we swapped out the light fixture with one I brought from my last house, painted the room in Pearly White by Sherwin Williams, and the trim in a custom white.
We have gotten so much done and I can’t wait to share our progress with you through 2018.
This isn’t the old house with creaky floors and plaster walls that I dreamed of, but we found a home that we really love which also fits our family and stage of life. When we first started our online house-hunt, I had my doubts! This home is perfect for us, though, and I’m enjoying the process of making it ours.
And there are plenty more walls to paint and rooms to design!