Today, I wanted to share more detail on the “window walls” of the studio. I was so excited about all of the natural light that comes in from not just one, but two full walls of windows. This room is flooded from sunrise to sunset. Fortunately, though, it’s not direct light until late afternoon, so I don’t have to deal with sunbeams in my face all day.
I will have to add some window treatments to diffuse the light, when needed, though. I’m thinking I’ll make some simple linen shades that will just tie up.
The old hardware store cabinet is really the focal point of the room. I bought it off of craigslist earlier this year and it’s the one large counter I decided to keep from my last studio space. It was tough to sell some of those beautiful antique counters, but I felt like this one was the most versatile and it ended up being the perfect choice for this space.
If you remember from when I introduced it, the left side is unfinished (probably because it was built-in) and the top has some grooves in it, probably to accommodate doors or a hutch-like top. I have a couple of plans to deal with those “imperfections”. For the top, I’d like to have a piece of marble cut to fit. I’m hoping when I shop for my stone counters, I can find a remnant piece that will work.
The drawers are filled with art supplies, paper, tools, crafty-stuff, etc. All of the drawers had dividers in them, but Jeff and my dad figured out how to remove some of them, so I could store larger pads of paper, etc. in them. The ones that are divided are great for small tubes of paint and other little items that benefit from the built-in organization.
The wood on the piece was a little tired when I bought it, so I gave it a light sanding and brought out the richness of the wood with Hemp Oil. I even used the oil to polish up the metal pulls and label holders.
Since there are so many windows and I wasn’t concerned about blocking light, I leaned a large chalkboard up on the counter. It’s made out of an old frame and a piece of MDF cut to size and painted in “Allison’s custom chalkboard mix” of 3 parts Boxwood and 2 parts Artissimo MMS Milk Paint.
And I added a few pretty and utilitarian things on top…
I realized pretty quickly that I needed a semi-comfortable chair in the studio for visitors to sit in. By “visitors”, I mostly mean Jeff or one of the boys! I also wouldn’t mind sitting there sometimes as I’m brainstorming.
I pulled in the “deconstructed chair” that ended up not being deconstructed. It’s upholstered in antique linen sheets and the seat cover is an old German pillowcase.
The front of the chair was ripped in the move, but miraculously, the linen didn’t get stained! Since it’s vintage fabric, I can get away with just stitching the rip.
So, the wall of windows on the left will be re-planked once they are finished installing the mini-split heating/cooling unit. Once that is done, we will build some bookshelves under the windows.
Those will flank the mini-split, camouflaging it a bit (although it’s not too bad looking), and will meet up with the hardware cabinet, hiding the unfinished left side. It was my mom’s idea and it’s brilliant! It solves a lot of little “issues” and makes better use of otherwise unused space. I plan to store my jars of milk paint on the shelves as well as magazines.
It’s coming along!
In case you missed them, here are previous posts about the studio, how it looked when we bought the house, and the details of the transformation so far…