Back in March, I took some unhurried decorative play in the master bedroom.  I just felt stuck in this room.  The bones were there, but I was having trouble finishing it off.  I couldn’t make up my mind on the smaller pieces of furniture, what to hang on the wall, or how to make it a polished, finished space.  During this time of experimenting, shuffling around furniture, and rethinking things, I decided that the ticking fabric on the chaise was limiting my options to some extent.  I liked how several fabrics I already owned worked with the Aviary Toile, but not the ticking stripe.  An easy option was to make a slipcover for the chaise.

I covered it in an antique linen sheet and it immediately confirmed that thought.  I like the ticking fabric and it’s still in like-new condition, so a slipcover is a perfect way to change the look while protecting the ticking fabric in case I want to show it off again.

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

For those who have asked, the chaise is the Lily Chaise Lounge from Birch Lane.  At the time I ordered it, I think it only came in the blue ticking, but it can now be ordered in over 100 different fabric options.

The back cushion was connected, so I decided to cut it off in order to make the slipcover more fitted to the chaise and the individual cushions.  This means that I will have to patch the back of the cushion if I want to use it with the slipcover off again, but I was willing to live with that.  I’ll probably keep it slipcovered for several years.

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

Since making covers for the cushions is my least-favorite part, I did that first to get it out of the way!  You can find a video tutorial on slipcovering cushions HERE.  If you have to make a cushion to replace one that is sagging or damaged, you can find a tutorial showing that process HERE.

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

You can find the complete video slipcover tutorial series here…

part one | how to sew custom piping

part two | cutting the fabric

part three | pinning & sewing the fabric

part four | sewing the wings & arms

part five | skirts, ties & cushion cover

While this tutorial walks through the process of making a slipcover for a wing chair, the process is identical for a chaise as long as it is symmetrical.  If it is an asymmetrical chaise, the inside-out pin-fitting method I typically use and teach will not work.

I also make a different style of skirt – one with kick-pleats on the corners instead of a ruffle.  I felt like a ruffle might look a little stuffy and bulky on this specific chair.  A kick-pleat is a little simpler and cleaner.  I made tie closures for the back out of linen the same way I did in THIS TUTORIAL.

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

For the material, I used 10 yards of 4c22 linen in Mix Natural from Fabrics | Store.  I was able to get it on sale for just over $6/yard, so it ended up being less than $80 to make a linen slipcover for this chaise.

I did wash the linen prior to sewing, so it would be washable after it was made.  Since 10 yards of fabric is a lot to put in a residential washer and dryer, I cut the piece in half and washed five yards at a time.  I ironed the fabric once the pieces were sewn.

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

The thing I like about working with linen and antique fabrics is they are forgiving.  Linen has this relaxed, loose quality, so it’s okay if it’s not perfect.  I’ve gotten much better at sewing over the years, but I’m not a perfectionist at all!  Done is better than perfect when it comes to slipcovers in my book!

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

I love how this chaise is now a little quieter and lets the other fabrics in the room shine.  When my mom visits, we’re going to sew lots of pillows and make the bed crown to sprinkle the fabrics I’ve selected around the room.  I can’t wait to see it all come together!

linen slipcover chaise miss mustard seed

For more posts about the master bedroom, you can click HERE.

For more furniture makeover posts, click HERE.

1. Joelle

Lovely job! When you have two upholstered pieces in a room (in this case your bed and the chaise) it is always more peaceful to the eye when the fabrics are similar. I think now that they are both similar solid colors, instead of a solid and a pattern, your other patterned fabrics will take center stage.

2. Meredith MacRitchie

I just finished making new covers for our camper cushions from drop cloth fabric… same ‘forgiveness’ factor, because i am the same as you – done is better than perfect! Your bedroom is really coming together, love it!

3. MaryLisa

The chaise looks fab! I love slipcovers!

4. Andrea

Lovely room, and I love the continuing process of decorating & feathering our nest, rather than buying all at once. With the curtains already so beautifully gathered, I really like the more tailored skirt rather than ruffles.

5. Beth B

It looks so comfy and cozy now. It’s funny how fabric can make such a difference in a piece of furniture. The fact that it’s not perfect adds to it’s charm. I also love that it’s so much more versatile now. The wardrobe to the left of it is beautiful! Is it French?

• Miss Mustard Seed

Yes! It’s an antique French wardrobe I found on craigslist a few years ago.

6. Evie Diane

You are the one who inspired me to make my first slipcover years ago! Thank You, Marian

7. Bea

The new slipcover looks perfect to me. I like the tailored look and the linen. The room is really coming together. Years ago I figured out how to make slipcovers for two sofas by measuring the fabric that was already on the sofas. Amazingly they turned out okay!

8. Kari

You are so gifted and inspiring!

9. Rachel

I just used your wingback chair tutorial to slipcover an entire couch with bleached drop cloths. Easy to follow and mine turned out great, especially considering it was my first one. Love how the chaise turned out!

10. Kim

I love , love, your chaise lounge! Someday soon, I hope to have one!!!! They look so comfortable! You are such a talented one!!

11. Valeri

I love your comment on not being a perfectionist. I always tell my husband, who is a perfectionist, when he’s critiquing my work that a job finished is worth a lot more than a perfect job undone.

12. Ellen Shook

“Done is better than perfect when it comes to slipcovers” –my sentiments exactly. This looks good! I am going to check out your link for the fabric. I have had a lot of trouble during this time of Covid with fabric (and other) orders. Customer service is pretty much non-existent. I had the idea quite a few years ago to rip off those attached pillows on the back of our two den sofas. I ust never did. Now you have inspired me.

13. jackie pankuck

The cover is wonderful and the decor is amazing, but what struck me is that your Mom is coming to make pillows with you. My Mom, an amazing seamstress, passed away 15 years ago and I would give anything to have her with me to create and share my home and family. You are blessed. 🙂

14. Dianne

Always beautiful! You are amazing and so inspiring to me and I know others. With your inspiration, I tackled reupholstering a living room chair and pillow that I had been wanting to work on for some time. We are very happy with the way it turned out. Also, after you painted the concrete slab under your deck earlier this summer it inspired me to paint a small concrete area after 40 years! What an improvement! Even though I am new at watercolor painting, I painted each example of the paintings you offered. It was so fun, and expanded what I have normally painted. I could go on and on about the ideas I have gained from following your Blog over the years. Thank you so much. It has been such a sweet part of my day to read about what you are doing, especially during these last 4-5 months.

15. mary m

I have used and followed Marian’s slipcover tutorial and it is like magic! I only made one mistake with the busy print but i don’t think anyone noticed. One thing that id did was take a picture of all sides of the chair. Marked each piece with a letter. And marked the photographs as well with the corresponding letter. Better to be safe than sorry. I also pre washed the fabric so when I washed it there would not be any shrinkage.

16. Marie in AZ

Marian, you are a marvel! The chaise looks beautiful, and your can-do attitude is so motivating!! Thank you so much for generously sharing your methods and philosophy.

17. Sandra

You ARE brave! and good.

18. Shelley

I LOVE it! You did such a great job on it. It’s much quieter now, like you said, so the other pretties can show off!
    I have looked on your website, but can’t find where you bought your bed? I’ve been wanting a new frame-I have a french caned frame in mind, but the one I want is out of my budget. So I’m hoping yours would be more in line…it’s really beautiful. Love everything you do!!!

19. Toni

I got samples of 4C22 in both natural and bleached and I’m just curious as to the color in your photos. Your chaise looks very bright…almost a white (like the bleached sample I got). But my sample of the natural looks more like a brown natural linen…much like the fabric that I use to hook rugs on. Can you tell me if I am just seeing your photos brighter than they are or is there another 4C22 that I didn’t notice? Thanks so much!

• Miss Mustard Seed

The chaise is the Mix Natural, so it is lighter than the natural, but not as light as the bleached.

20. Patricia Kasparian

Absolutely beautiful work, Marian. I can’t wait to see the entire room transformed!

21. boxnovel

The way you decorate the room is very beautiful and luxurious. I really like your decor.

• Marian Parsons

Thank you!

22. this link

got samples of 4C22 in both natural and bleached and I’m just curious as to the color in your photos. Your chaise looks very bright…almost a white (like the bleached sample I got). But my sample of the natural looks more like a brown natural linen…much like the fabric that I use to hook rugs on. Can you tell me if I am just seeing your photos brighter than they are or is there another 4C22 that I didn’t notice? Thanks so much! addiction/”>this link

• Miss Mustard Seed

The chaise is the “Mixed Natural” fabric, which is in between the two samples you got.

23. estufas de bioetanol

It certainly is nearly unattainable to see well-informed parties on this niche, fortunately you look like you know the things you’re preaching about! Thanks