Unless you follow me on Instagram, when you last saw the milk paint landscape mural in the dining room, it was just getting started with the watery Lucketts Green base for the land.  Well, Friday it was hot as the blazes here in Rochester, MN (heat index of 104), so we all hung out inside and I had a lot of time to work on the landscape mural.  I wasn’t planning on being able to finish it, but the work went quicker than I expected and the boys were content for long stretches, so I got it all done!

And here it is…

landscape mural | milk paint | miss mustard seed

(Remember that the furniture isn’t done, yet!)

landscape mural | milk paint | miss mustard seed

(Or the butler’s pantry!  You can see it finished HERE.)

landscape mural | milk paint | miss mustard seed

landscape mural | milk paint | miss mustard seed

landscape mural | milk paint | miss mustard seed

As I shared in my first post about the mural, this was inspired by Susan Harter’s mural style mixed with a hint of Rufus Porter in the folk-feeling of the trees.

I am so pleased with how it turned out.  It’s soft and has a custom look that’s elegant, but not too fussy.  It’s just what this dining room needed to make it special.  While we don’t use the dining room a lot, it is a room that you can see from the foyer, kitchen, stairs, etc., so I want it to catch your eye from those sight lines.

As I shared in my previous post, I used Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint for this mural, which was a bit of an experiment.  I’ve painted with it plenty, of course, but nothing on this large scale with these specific techniques.  Since I was sort of making it up and testing ideas as I went along, I didn’t film or photograph a full tutorial, but only stopped to snap photos here and there.  It’s something, but not quite enough to make a comprehensive tutorial.  I am planning to go back, though, and film some brush strokes that made up the trees, grasses, etc. and also share how I got the look of the soft gray sky.  So, just hang tight for that if you want to replicate this and you need a bit of direction.  I’ll also share the details of the color recipes for each element.

As a flyover, I used Lucketts Green, Boxwood, Linen, Kitchen Scale, and Shutter Gray.  I did add a bit of acrylics to the milk paint for the tree trunks (Burnt Umber added to Linen and Lucketts Green) and some foreground grasses (French Ultramarine and Cadmium Yellow to Lucketts Green and Boxwood) to get the colors a little stronger.

More details on the how-to of the mural soon.

Until then, it’s given me great motivation to finish the rest of the dining room.  First off, I will finally be refinishing and painting the table.  I actually have a date with one of my friends from church who needs to refinish a table as well.  She has never done it before, so I invited her to bring hers over and we can refinish our tables together.

I also removed the doors of the primitive hutch  and I will be repainting it, to give it a cleaner look.  I love this piece, but the distressed paint finish and the color don’t work in this house, sadly.  I thought about selling it and buying a different hutch, but I already have this one and the shape and size are good for that location.  It just needs some tweaking.

primitive blue hutch | milk paint | miss mustard seed

I’ll also be working on the butler’s pantry, putting a cord cover on the chandelier and hopefully finding a mirror to hang over the buffet.  I’m not sure if the buffet might be painted or if I’ll swap it out for something else.  It depends on how it looks once everything else is done.  The size is right, though, so I’d like to make it work.

landscape mural | milk paint | miss mustard seed

I’m also contemplating the side chairs.  They have been raw for a few years and I’m not sure I want to paint or stain them, but they sort of blend in with the floor right now.  Maybe they just need a cushion?  Maybe swap them out for chairs you can actually sit in without fear of falling through the cane?

All things to think about, but now that the landscape mural is done, this room is well on the way…

1. Jodie

Marian, Next thing we will know, you will be putting out your own wallpaper!
    Wouldn’t that be amazing!!!

2. Kelly J

Love love love this!!!

3. Pamela Barnabo

Oh My Goodness it is just fabulous! Love how you made it so soft overall and how the things in the distant look so dimensional. You must be so proud of how it turned out.

P.S. This is not the normal temperature for MN summers. It is a real heat wave. But thank goodness for A/C.

4. Kim P.

I have always loved murals, and this just suits the room ! It was fun watching it come along.

5. monique odman

I like the way you throw yourself into such a large wall painting, you are fearless and so fast. And it looks very nice. The cool colors bring a relief from the heat outside.

Hot in the center of France too these last many days and with no AC of course, so closing all the shutters is the
    only way to stay comfortable and my stencil project will have to wait a little.

6. Sue Anderson

Really wonderful! Admiring the steady consistency of the design, positioning of the trees, the understated colors… well, everything! Very inspiring. Congratulations!

7. Jill Miglin

Marian, the mural is absolutely gorgeous. Wish I was as talented.

8. Jacqui

I love it! A great design decision and beautifully executed 😍

9. Lisa Stover

Marian, as i mentioned on Instagram, the mural is beautiful! I think the little cane chairs style and their color go perfectly with the mural. Is there any way to put a reinforcement of plywood or something else under the cane so that you can’t really see it and then a cushion on top? They look like their special little chairs!!

10. Connie in GA

Marian,
    I just love this mural! The style and soft colors are so nice and soothing. You should pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

11. Pamela

Im over the moon with this mural! All heart eye emojis. Ive been wanting to do a Rufus Porter mural for decades.

12. Gilda

okay come do one in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jo Anne

Wow! Beautiful job! And so fast! Lovely

Might I be so bold as to suggest the addition of a bird or bee or butterfly?

14. Kirstin Davidson

I wonder whether your neighbours know that they are living next to such a creative rockstar?! Looks stunning Marian!

15. Kristin M

Your mural looks amazing! I can refinish furniture no problem but I have no talent when it comes to drawing or painting. I am in awe of what you have been able to accomplish.

16. Teresa

This mural is amazing! You are so talented I’m not a fan of wallpaper but you would be great at designing wallpaper or stencils for mural’s. Most of us aren’t as talented as you and need the help. Thank you for sharing!

17. hrplo

This is absolutely beautiful! Well done!

18. Marilla

Beautiful! Such a peaceful scene. Great job!

19. Roseann

Marion, I normally do not like Murals however that stopped me in my track. You are amazing!

20. Babs

Love the mural but now you are going to have to do something with the butler’s pantry – its caught between two spaces – it needs to be “mustardized”.

21. Cheryl

Stunning!!! You do such beautiful work!

22. Rosanna

And again;WOW…just…WOW..!!!This is so pretty! I especially love how “soft” it is…

23. Jennfer

So well done! Just beautiful. You are giving your house quite a personality! Love it!

24. Marcy Brenner

I think a scene from your transferware just jumped straight off your dishes and onto your walls! Gorgeous!!

25. WendyK

Just gorgeous! I haven’t stopped thinking about this mural (and Susan Harter’s murals you linked to) since you first posted about it. I have a living room I call my “garden room” that is crying out for something like this. I just love the pastoral feeling it creates in the room. You did a fantastic job.

26. Deb Henry

I am so very, very impressed! Not that this is surprise, of course, but you NEVER cease to amaze me with your talents…… the mural is SPECTACULAR and all you have done to this room is magnificent! I so wish you were closer……. God bless and keep up the great work dear girl!

27. Kerri

Wow! I generally hate murals, but you just changed my mind. That is perfect. Your talent and eye are amazing.

28. Joanne

I think your family has a
    reason to enjoy and maybe never want to leave your dining room now. It’s so tranquil and lovely!

29. Karen

So impressed, looks great. Can’t wait to see what you do to finish the room off.

30. Amy Darling

This is absolutely stunning!! You always know how to make my wheels turn and start brain storm ideas for my own home! Now, I’m no where close to your skill level but it certainly makes me want to try it! Great job!!

31. Lesley

Absolutely gorgeous!! Was there a specific color base you painted your walls before you started? I plan on doing something very similar in my new home and was curious about your wall color. Can’t wait for the tutorial. ❤️

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Honor Roll - Making it Lovely - […] still haven’t finished tiling the laundry room! Curses! I caught the reveal of Miss Mustard Seed’s hand-painted landscape mural…
  2. milk paint panorama mural | reveal – Home Inspiring Articles - […] Supply Hyperlink […]