the paint colors I selected | decorating

by | Jan 25, 2023 | 1970 home renovation, Decorating, My House | 43 comments

Several people have been asking, so let’s talk paint colors and which ones I selected for our house.  I didn’t feel much urgency for selecting colors since I had so much wallpaper to strip, but now that the job is completed, I am ready to get rolling.  It was nice to have that unhurried time, though, so I could firmly make my choices.  Paint is one of the most cost-effective ways to transform and update a room, but it still costs money and it still takes time and energy.  You want to get it right if you can!

After living with paint swatches for a while (you can read about my paint swatches HERE), I selected Farrow & Ball’s Card Room Green for the living room.  Truth be told, that was the color I had in my mind the whole time, but I needed to live with it a bit, in different lighting and in different parts of the room, to be sure.  It was also nice to compare other colors and to get some feedback.  (Card Room Green is the color sample on the right.)

Farrow & Ball Card Room Green paint sample | miss mustard seed

I am also planning on using Card Room Green on the exterior doors and shutters.  It goes nicely with our brick and the green is a nod to the original homeowner, who had a love for green as well.

Farrow & Ball Card Room Green | miss mustard seed

Here are a few examples of Card Room Green in homes.  It’s a color that feels rich, yet neutral to me.  I think it’ll really bring the living room to life.

Farrow & Ball Card Room Green

Farrow & Ball Card Room Green Walls & Green Smoke Cabinets

Farrow & Ball Card Room Green

I do plan on painting the built-ins, walls, trim, back door, and beams all in Card Room Green.  Since the walls are paneled, I am going to use Modern Eggshell, which has a bit of sheen to it.  I usually like matte walls, but the paneling currently has paint with some reflection to it and I like how the light bounces off of it.  I will leave the brick natural, though, which, along with the oak floors, will bring visual warmth to the room.

I saved this picture as inspiration for the mantel surround I would like to build.  The living room is designed by Becca Interiors and I think that the mantel is a nice style for our fireplace and is within our capabilities to build.  It will be painted in Card Room Green also.

Becca Interiors Living Room | Mantel Inspiration | miss mustard seed

For the dining room, foyer, and hallway, I selected Farrow & Ball’s Light Blue.  Oh, this is such a yummy color!  being a silvery blue/green/gray, it’s just perfect for me.  I like that it has a lot of depth and doesn’t feel like a cool, modern gray.  I think it will finish off the library/dining room and hall nicely.

dining room prepared for wallpaper stripping | miss mustard seed

Here are some examples of Light Blue in a home…

Farrow & Ball Light Blue

Farrow & Ball Light Blue

Farrow & Ball Light Blue

I think I am most excited about getting this color on the wall!  It’s actually similar in value to the green color the previous homeowner had in those spaces, but Light Blue isn’t as minty and acidic.  When I held up the paint sample, it looked like it might not be too dramatic of a change, but I know that even subtle differences in paint colors can make a tremendous difference.

I haven’t selected paint colors for the kitchen, yet, but the construction of that room isn’t starting until April, so I have plenty of time to mull it over.

kitchen color scheme | miss mustard seed

Calvin selected Fallow & Ball’s Railings for his room.  While black wouldn’t be my top choice, he is excited about it and I know it will look stately and handsome in his room.  We have one wall in his room with wallpaper glue that needs to be removed, but then we can start painting in there.

Farrow & Ball Railings

As I shared in the post yesterday, Marshall wanted Newburyport Blue by Benjamin Moore, which is the color he had in his room in MN.  I picked that up at the paint store yesterday, so we can get his room painted and finished over the next few days.

I wanted to share a tip with you when using quality paints, which run more expensive – use a primer tinted in the color of the paint in order to reduce coats.  While at the paint store, I had primers tinted to Light Blue, Card Room Green, and Newburyport Blue.  (I already have Farrow & Balls dark primer for Railings.)  These primers will provide one more layer of insurance between any remaining wallpaper glue and will help the final color cover more evenly.  When using top-of-the-line paints, which I think are worth the money for their quality, coverage, and durability, it’s more cost-effective to put on a coat of tinted primary and a coat of paint instead of two coats of paint.

I’m going to prime some of the trim and closet doors today and then I’ll get started on the ceilings tomorrow. Jeff and I have a painting day date for Friday and we’ll get more knocked out.  It’s going to feel good to have some of these rooms freshly painted!

1. Joyce

I am so excited to see these rooms with a fresh coat of paint. Even when the change is subtle, I am always amazed at the difference made in the room. Happy painting!

2. Kim

Let the fun begin! I love painting walls. It is a very satisfying job to see the room take shape quickly.

I think Calvin’s room color is going to be magnificent! So many things look great against dark walls, and it will be very masculine.

• Teri

I have FB Light Blue in my main living area and bedroom. I am about to paint my foyer with it. It is that lovely and calming to me!

• Marian Parsons

I just love it in every room I see it in! I have been moving the swatch around my house and it just seems at home in this house. I can’t wait to see it on the walls.

3. Linda O

I really like your choice of colors; especially the greens. I’m looking forward to seeing all your rooms as you paint them. The boys must be happy to have been able to choose the color they wanted. In the 80’s I had our great room a Martha Stewart Fern Green and mixed my own colors to get the warm cream I wanted for the trim. We got many compliments on that room. It’s still my favorite color combo. I’m about to take a green towel w me to the paint store to get the green I want to use in our guest bathroom. Thanks for the inspiration you give to so many of us.

• Marian Parsons

I mostly lived in military housing as a kid (white walls) and my mom wasn’t a big fan of strong colors, so that meant more white walls. I decided when I was young that I would let my kids paint their rooms in the colors they wanted, so I’m making good on that!

4. Betsy

I’m intrigued by Calvin’s choice of Railings. It’s a gorgeous color. I can’t wait to see his room. I’ve been a lover of blues for years but I’m really loving greens now.

• Marian Parsons

He loves black, so we’re going black! 😂

5. Trudy

I’m curious what convinced you to paint the trim in the color rather than white. It seems like this is the new trend but it’s a bold choice and I’m not sure I would have the courage. Are you worried about it? I don’t remember you ever doing this before.

• Marian Parsons

I have always wanted to paint my trim a color, but never felt like it really worked in my two previous homes. I just pictured the trim a bright white. In this house, though, I can see using color on the trim working well. We have lower ceilings (all 8 foot), rooms that are closed off from one another, and some of the trim is already painted the same color as the walls, so I can envision it working well. I also think this house and push into a European/English vibe and painting the trim a color works well with that. If and when I change my mind, the trim will probably need a fresh coat of paint, anyway!

6. Linda A. Charlton

I love your color choices. I am looking for a shade of green for my office right now. So many shades it’s hard to decide.

7. Lisa

As a green lover, I find it refreshing the way you make it work with blue. Lovely and wam and oh so organic.

8. Carol

Another question- will you do door jams and baseboards in the same wall color? Or a bright white/creamy white?

• Marian Parsons

I am going to paint most of the trim and doors the same color as the walls to give it more of an English feel. That’s actually what the previous homeowner did as well, so it seems to make sense in this house. In some rooms, though, I will do a bright white trim.

9. Rhonda

A beautiful choice for your living room, and Card Room Green seems to tie in with Jenny Lind’s wrap. My dining room is painted Cromarty and it’s one of those gorgeous ever-changing colors, depending on the light–it’s such a delight to have the perfect paint in a room! I’ve enjoyed your new home’s transformation and look forward to seeing the freshly painted walls!

• Marian Parsons

Yes, it’s almost an exact match to her wrap! My mom pointed that out, too.

10. Anita

I’m enjoying hearing about your plans for the house. Can’t wait to see it painted!

11. Sally

I hate picking paint colors, but it’s mostly because my husband really cares! And usually doesn’t agree with me! Does Jeff give you free reign, seeing as you have a real eye for color, or does he weigh in? BTW, Railings is a color I have considered painting my fireplace brick and 90s builder-grade colonial mantle….still thinking!)

• Marian Parsons

Jeff does weigh in, but he really doesn’t care too much in the end. He’s learned to trust my eye for color and design and pretty much gives me free rein. The boys, though, have pretty strong opinions and they do not like antiques, so we have to find a way to work together! 😂 With them, I narrow down the selection so they are choosing colors I know will look nice. So, if Calvin says he wants black walls, I let him choose from a few different blacks. He’s in making the choice, but there are still some boundaries!

12. Rose P

Love the paint choices. Can’t wait to see them.

Sounds like you made some decisions on the kitchen since it’s starting in April. I saw your last post but wondering if you finalized anything.

• Marian Parsons

Yes, I will share an update!

13. sandi m

Oh, those colors are going to be fantastic!! Especially can’t wait to see the Light Blue.
    Question – what paint did you buy for having the primers mixed, a BM?
    Two more days until the fun begins!

• Marian Parsons

You can actually have any primer tinted. I just had a Sherwin Williams primer tinted in the colors I needed since the walls are already primed with Kilz Premium or Cover Stain. I would pick the primer that addresses any concerns you might have or, if it’s just to reduce coats, get an all-purpose wall primer.

14. IreneL

I enjoy using greens and blues together and I love your color choices for the living and dining rooms! I have a large cupboard near my kitchen painted in F&B Railings – in some lights it looks like a gorgeous dark blue and at other times it looks more black. It is a wondeful and versatile color! And BM Newburyport Blue is always a great choice! Your boys picked two good ones! Looking forward to seeing the paint transformation! Oh, and love the design of the fireplace surround design!

• Marian Parsons

That’s what I like about Farrow & Ball colors. They are all chameleons and have so much depth.

• JC

You’ve picked such yummy colors! Card Room Green reminds me of your Boxwood island. I love the F&B Light Blue. We are having a house built in the near future and I’m tucking this color away perhaps for the pantry…..with unlaquered brass cabinet pulls, checkered floors etc. Fun to dream! Your son’s black bedroom is going to be classic. Perhaps some plaid in there? Very inspirational!

• Christy Keyton

All the doors in our house and our built in entertainment cabinet are painted in Railings. It is gorgeous and when the sun hits it you can certainly see the deep blue! I love it!

• Debbie

Marion, from what Irene said, it sounds like you’re painting his room Paynes Gray. Can’t go wrong with that….

15. Kimberly Carnegie Bruhn

I live at the other end of Oregon (by California, not Portland) and am wondering where you buy your Farrow&Ball paint?
    There’s not a showroom near us (according to their website).

• Marian Parsons

I linked to the site where I buy them, but it is Dreamy Whites in California. I have a swatch deck and I order samples to try colors out before I place the order.

16. Karen B.

I love the colors you’ve chosen. What a great tip to help with the cost of painting a room with Farrow and Ball.
    I also loved seeing sweet Sebastian in the first picture. 😊
    Karen B.

17. celestial

I love the Farrow and Ball Light Blue color but I don’t see blue in it at all; just a gray-green. I actually have that same grayed green in 3 rooms in my house. I find it very calming and soothing. I approve whole-heartedly (except for the name!)

18. Louisa Nicholls

F&B Railings is a lovely colour. Our last kitchen was painted in it – it’s very dark blue in some lights and everything looks fabulous against it. Good choice!

19. MARY-ANN (FROM CANADA!)

Marian, I love the colors you have picked! That green will look so pretty in your living room. How great to use this same color outside on your shutters and your doors. This is the color I really liked when I first saw your color boards. How nice that you gave your boys the choice of picking their bedroom color. Their rooms are going to look great! Your boys are growing up so quickly!

Bless you all!

20. MaryS

WOW!! SO PRETTY!! AND YOU ARE SO FAST!! YOU GO GIRL!

21. Teresa

Green has been such a popular color for the past year not only in paint but upholstery, linens, etc Can’t wait to see all the rooms painted once you finish and I am so glad you are leaving the brick on the fireplace as is. It’s such a lovely brick color and brings some warmth to the room.

• Irene Kelly

Marian, Is that the same Green you used in your Pantry in MN home ? And love that you are answering questions on your blog. That is so refreshing to imm know your answers.

22. MaryS

And ALL THE BUILT – IN’s…. Gorgeous!!

23. Monique

Can’t go wrong with F&B, those paints are so good as well as the colors, I love to go in their show rooms. I am not sure if the giant room in France will be affordable, even with the undercoat of a less costly primer.
    Your choice is right and to use the same color on trims will make the room look bigger. It will be very pretty.

24. Susan

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but how do you instruct them to tint the primer? Do you ask them to match a white primer to F&B’s Card Room Green, even if the primer is from different paint company? Do you have to provide a paint chip? I’ve never used a tinted primer, but it sounds like a great idea.

• Marian Parsons

Not a dumb question at all. Basically, you take your paint chip to the paint counter and ask them if they can tint a primer for you to that color. They add the pigments to the primer just as they would a base paint. They can also help you select the right primer for the job.

25. Connie

Oh i remember washing glue off walls from wallpaper I put up in 80’s!
    Does the new so called ” removeable” wallpaper leave a residue ?

I have a similar fireplace shelves setup in my den. One side does have cabinet below shelves. The other side the shelves go to floor. Can you show a photo of what you have in the lower shelves? Other than large books or baskets I am stumped. I need your talent gor creating vignettes.

All your color choices will be beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

26. Betty M Bashaw

Your color choices are beautiful! Can’t wait to see them on the walls.

Have fun on your painting date.