Ruched Shams & Crown Molding

by | Mar 13, 2013 | Master Bedroom, My House | 82 comments

Two more projects are checked off the list.  The first one I finished yesterday was a set of pillow shams.  My editor asked for something Pottery-Barn-ish.  I checked out their site for some ideas and kept coming back to these

Alternate View

source

So, I did a little figuring and came up with these…

DSC_8089 (640x480)

DSC_8088 (640x480)

DSC_8085 (480x640)

DSC_8075 (640x480)

The PB version is $39/sham.  My version costs about $10 for both.  A tutorial will be available soon at HGTV.com.

MMS_Divider

The other tutorial I worked on today was crown molding in the master bedroom…

DSC_8127 (640x424)

It is the perfect finishing touch to the plank ceiling and fabric wall.

DSC_8128 (640x424)

Tomorrow, we’re pulling out the kitchen sink, so I can finish the tile back splash.  Thursday is right around the corner…

1. Starla

I think your actually looks better than PB’s and the price definitely looks better! Great job.
    Your master bedroom is looking great and I am so excited to see how the counter top turns out.

2. Marie W.

So, it looks to me like your crown molding covers the upper edge of the fabric you have applied to your wall. Am I seeing this correctly? What it sometime later you want to remove the fabric….will the molding have to be loosened to get it free? Marie

3. Christine

Your shams are AMAZING. and I can not wait for the how to! Seriously, they are so spot on and perfect!!!!

4. Anita

I could have sworn you said you were’t that great a seamstress! Those look fabulous…the gathering is beautiful and such nice, straight stitching. Lovely for sure and what a great idea too:-)

5. Rachel

I splurged on that PB duvet and shams…it makes a stunning bed! Sooo romantic! Your price is so much better. Can’t wait to see details!

• Kimberly

I did too after ogling it for a year and a half. I was terribly afraid I would regret the purchase. As it turns out I love it! Even my husband likes it, despite all its white fluffiness. But these shams are way adorable and cheap. Oh well.

6. Karen

Loving those shams, I think I need to make some!

7. Melanie

I think I like your shams a lot better!

8. Susie

LOVE your shams, PB needs to hire you for fine tuning…you have the gift!

9. Melissa

Marion – what perfect timing! I was just looking at these pillows today on Pottery Barn and could not believe the price. I am looking forward to seeing the tutorial so I can make them. can’t wait to see them!

10. Julianne

Love the shams, makes me want to sew better!!

11. Beth Morrow

Love them both…great job!

12. Tanya

I love these pillows! Cannot wait to see the tutorial 🙂

xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

13. Jessica

I’m really looking forward to your pillow tutorial! They are beautiful!

14. Jaimee Hingerton

Wow, both projects look great! I like your version of the pillows even more than the PB version.

15. Anne Boykin

Dear MMS, Your shams are fantastic! The bedroom is looking marvelous. I’m looking forward to seeing you on Saturday in Atlanta. You’ll be surrounded by adoring fans, lol. See you then & hugs, Anne Boykin

16. Ramona

I have a question how do you find the tutorials you have already done on HGTV?

17. Susan Bailey

They look great! I like the ones you made even better than ones from Pottery Barn. Can’t wait to see your new counter tops.

18. Suzanne

Those shams are dreamy! Can’t wait til the tutorial is available.

19. Janet Lawson

The shams are beautiful and what a price difference..Have fun with the tile work..Oh and your crown molding just finishes off the room..You do have an eye for the details..

20. Clydia @ Three Mango Seeds

Love the shams — better than PB! Where can I find you on HGTV.com. What do I need to search? Thanks!

21. Dianne

I love those shams too. Was thinking of ordering them until I saw yours. Now I’m inspired to make them. And, if I make them, I can vary the size.

22. ruth de castro

OMG, gush Marian. The pillows look amazing. I actually have the PB ones, and id get your version in a minute! this is perfect cause PB only sells them in the standard size and we have a ridiculously large bed. I can’t wait for your tutorial so I can make some to compliment the PB ones.

I am also going to put up crown moulding and bought the tool that kreg jigg sells. i am curious to see how you did yours.

I can’t wait for all your tutorials. God bless 🙂

Ruth

23. Micki Coles

Just so beautiful Marian! I am looking forward to your tutorial!

24. Marian

The shams are amazing. Seriously. I don’t know that it would have occurred to me to tackle deconstructing those, so snaps to you! And I can’t wait to read your crown molding tutorial. i totally have molding burning a hole in my back pocket. Can’t wait!!!

25. Peggy huff

You continually surpass my daily
    growing expectations of your creative
    mind and stunning results. Lovely,
    perfection, sweet, unique, @ finished
    with polish! God bless you, MMS!! & your
    darling ‘man collection.’

26. Kimberly Heavner

Thank you for being so incredibly inspiring! I love your book too!

27. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline

I agree. Your’s look even better than the PB version! Molding looks great! Bet you’re happy to have the walls/ceiling finished!

28. Mary Stewart

Pottery barn look out…Miss Mustard Seed has figured you out! YOU GO GIRL!

29. colleen

love the ceiling crown molding & wall! So striking!
    and those pillows …can’t wait for the tutorial!

30. Laurie V

I can’t wait for the tutorial! You are certainly making my crafting/sewing to do list longer and longer. That’s a good thing!!!

31. Denise T

Love the ruched shams. Can’t wait to see the tutorial. Add to my project listing. That is ok. Your bedroom is lovely….

32. Debbie

I love those pillow shams!! Can’t wait for the tutorial. The crown molding looks beautiful, finishes off the bedroom perfectly.
    Debbie 🙂

33. Sally @ Homemaking Reality

Drooool! I can’t wait for these new tutorials! The fabric wall and those shams are something I’d love to make for my own home.

34. Jenna

Love the pillows. Can’t wait for the tutorial. Please let us know when it is available.

35. Jelena

Both projects look great!

I love your price tag for the shams, but unfortunately, I and the sewing machine don’t get along too well. I can only do no-sew projects and those that require simple hand stitching.

36. Jill Cooper

I like your pillows even better than Pottery Barn! Beautiful!

37. Terry

I never ceases to amaze me at the cost of buying vs DIY. That’s why so many people are doing it themselves and blogs like yours are so popular. You are a true leader. The shams are just too sweet!

38. Pam Barnabo

These pillows look fabulous! If you had not told me you made them I would have thought they came from a high end store! Thank you for showing us we can make our own beautiful projects. And the price difference is incredible! Looking forward to the tutorial! Time to get my sewing machine out of the closet! 🙂

39. Jeanine C

My daughter has had her eye on the PB bedding for her bedroom remodel. Adding up the cost for the full size PB bedding was a bit overwhelming especially since we need to purchase a dresser, chair, and curtains. I do hope the matching duvet cover will be in the tutorial as well.
    Can’t wait!
    Thanks for sharing 🙂

40. Christie

Love the pillow shams! What a great idea.

41. Kris

Love – Love- Love

42. Karen

I have been wanting those particular shams at Pottery Barn for quite a while now! And I can’t wait for your tutorial! Thanks MMS!

43. Tanya

Your shams turned out gorgeous!! Cannot wait to see how you made them in your tutorial 🙂

xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

44. kathryn

Marion,
    I like your shams better… and wow $5 bucks each!! I may have to get over my aversion to sewing when your tutorial is available… I NEED these!!

45. Brenda

Lovely pillows–look much better than PB’s! Crown molding is like adding a set of pearls–any room will look elegant when the crown is added 🙂

46. Jenny Lynn

I look forward to learning how to make some for my bed. I like the way they look.

47. Amelia @ Monograms 'n Mud

I have ruched shams in my master and LOVE them. I found them at home goods years ago. I only bought 2 but could really use a 3rd so I’m looking forward to your tutorial.

Thanks!!!

48. Sue

OK so the crown looks awesome so r u going to do a tutorial on that too? i have been wanting to do that for quite sometime and need good help..later sue

49. Marsha

The shams are really quite beautiful.
    It adds a certain elegance.
    I too am looking foreward to your tutorial
    Everything is coming together so beautifully.
    Thank you for sharing this with all of us.
    Marsha

50. Winnie

Very nice job on the ruching – that’s tricky!!

51. Rhonda

Wow, they are exactly like the ones on Pottery Barn – way to go!

I just received a book I had ordered from Amazon.com. When I received it I was delighted to see that you were the author. I love your web page and I know I am going to love the book.
    Thank you so much for all you do!

52. Dara

LOVE those pillows!!!!!!!!

53. Nancy

LOVE the pillows! Please give details about the fabrics you used.
    Thanks lots!

54. Audrey Zumwalt

Love the pillow shams Marian.. That may be the answer to what I need on my guest bed. The molding looks so good too. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

55. Diane | An Extraordinary Day

I love that look!! It creates just the right amount of texture and a romantic feeling without be frufoo. 🙂

56. dorothee

Love the pillows and your whole house. You are quite an inspiration. Going to one of your TX dealers tomorrow to check out MMS paint

57. katrina lamb

I’m so excited for this tutorial !!! I like your version even better than the original

58. Jayne

Those shams are lovely and you did an amazing job of designing and sewing, looking forward to the tutorial 🙂

59. Susan Eastham

Love the look of the fabric topped with the crown molding and plank ceiling. I just finished making a “china wall” with blue and white Italian Blue Spode mounted against an 84″ x 56″ framed square of Napoleonic Blue chalk paint (will be posted on my blog in a day or two). There is just something surprising and breathtaking about blue and white! Keep up the beautiful work.

60. Shirley@housepitalitydesigns

Marian…you nailed those shams!!!…they are gorgeous…and love the molding…you can never have enough molding!!…Beautiful jobs!!….Have a wonderful weekend!

61. Cindy

Just like that!? You came up with those pillow shams!? You are so totally multitalented! The crown moulding is such a beautiful finishing touch too. Wow… your house is really coming along… must be so fun

Cindy

62. Kathy

Perfection once again! Your shams are better than PB!!!

63. Kimberly

Your talent amazes me. I must have missed a post where you said you were working for HGTV.com. Congrats!

64. Tracey

I’m sorry, I know that ruching is popular, but it looks exactly like the pillow and lining found in a casket!

65. Jordan

Looks really good!! 🙂

I have been looking to buy some rugs lately.. anyone know any sites?
    I’ve heard about Rugman.com? Any experiences there? 🙂

66. sharon heisler

anxious for the tutorial and for $10 for both on the ruched shams – plse send asap!

67. lookslikewhite

wow is there anything you can’t do? You are soooo talented! Really each time I read your blog I am just amazed at what you can accomplish! Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing!
    Best,
    Trudy

68. Jordan

More recently I have been looking to buy some rugs.. anyone know any sites?
    I’ve heard about Rugman.com? Any experiences there? 🙂

69. Karen

I can’t tell seem to find your tutorials at hgtv.com. I really want to see how you made the bolster pillow in your master bedroom.

70. Jenn

I’ll definitely be making a few of these for our bedroom makeover. I saw these awhile back and thought how I wish they came in more colors…now I can just make my own! I’ve been looking for the tutorial on HGTV since you posted this, can you please provide the link when it’s live.

I’ve been wanting to treat myself to your book for awhile and was able to scoop it up at Lifeway with a 30% coupon!

71. Linda Jarraf

Love the shams. I hope you post a link for the tutorial.

72. Amy Hoeh

Are the tutorials available yet? *I hope. I hope*!!
    They look fantastic. Can you also let us know the type of fabric that was used so that a fairly good version is possible?
    Thanks! Love MMS!!

73. Susan Smith

Have been searching the HGTV website for this tutorial. Anxiously waiting! They are so beautiful!

74. Katherine Smith

These are gorgeous. I’m so excited to see the tutorial but I’m having a difficult time locating it. Has it been completed? You have done another amazing job at re-creating and making something more affordable. A big Thank you!!!

75. Wendy

I’m looking for the tutorial as well – has HGTV not posted? I’m curious to know your thrifty secret!! I’m wanting some king sized shams like this! thank you!!

76. アウトレット ジャケット

These are in fact fantastic ideas in on the topic of blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant things here. Any way
    keep up wrinting.

77. jackie mendez

Do you have a link to the tutorial? I love these.