Last week, I was determined to get the studio floor finished. That’s one of the difficult things about doing projects in stages. It’s shiny and new at the outset, but when you only have about four feet to finish, it’s hard to get motivated. It’s not exciting any longer and it’s somewhat anticlimactic. But, it was pretty obvious that the floor was only partially done and I was really ready to have the studio put back together again and looking pretty.
So, Monday morning, I moved all of the furniture over to the left side of the room. Well, all of the furniture except the massive cabinet! That piece is so heavy and so full (and it’s screwed into the wall) that it needs to stay where it is. I’m rarely in favor of painting around a piece of furniture, but in the case of pieces that are huge and not likely to be moved in the near future, it just might need to be done.
The floor looks so much worse when it’s next to boards that are freshly painted! The checkerboard is subtle, but it really does make a huge difference.
Monday was a pretty busy day, but I took some time in the evening to put on a coat of primer. As I did with the other side of the room, I let it dry overnight to give it plenty of time. The next day, I applied two coats of paint.
When I’m applying two coats of the same color, I’ll cover the roller and paint tray with Press’N Seal. It does a great job of keeping the paint from drying out and then the paint and roller are ready to go for the next coat. I’ll sometimes wrap brushes this way, too.
I ended up not having time to tape and paint the floors on Wednesday (I was still playing catch-up from my creative retreat), so I made sure I protected time on Thursday.
I have to admit, I was not looking forward to crawling around on the floor again, taping off squares, but I put on some good music (Hamilton, this time) and got to work. Since I had my system down and this space was much smaller, it went quickly. I had it taped off in about an hour.
The painting and tape removal took about another hour.
I let the floors dry overnight and then I touched up the baseboards and moved the furniture back. Most of the pieces are on wheels, so it’s easy to scoot things around. The drafting table is on sliders, but they were peeling a bit, so Jeff helped me add new felt sliders. I also added felt sliders to the drafting table stool. I know these floors will get marked over the years, but I want to do a better job at protecting them, since they took so much time.
And they look fantastic! I was going to show all of the reveal pictures in this post, but there are a bunch, so I decided to save them for a dedicated reveal post. I’ve loved this space from the beginning, but I feel like it keeps getting better and better…