When you last saw the floors, they were all taped off and ready to paint. You can find that post HERE if you missed it.
The taping was definitely the most time-consuming part. After that, it’s pretty much smooth sailing for this project.
I initially purchased the same color I used on my kitchen walls – Stonington Gray mixed at 50%. I wanted the squares to be a very pale blue/gray, so the checkers would be subtle and not too high contrast with the bright white. I painted the first row of squares, removed the tape and knew, even before it dried, that it wasn’t what I wanted. The color looks very blue/gray in my kitchen, but in the studio, it looked like a pale beige. I pondered it for a few minutes and decided I spent waaaaaay too much time and energy taping off those squares to settle. So, I pulled out my paint decks to look for a better option.
I selected Farrow & Ball’s Skylight. I took the swatch to the paint store and had them match it. Matching it was tricky and took three tries, but we figured it out and the color is perfect!
I applied it with a 6″ microfiber roller and a 2.5″ angled sash brush along the edges…
When it comes to removing painter’s tape, I prefer to remove it when the paint is still drying. It decreases the chances of pulling paint off that you just applied and may dry to form a seal over the tape. That doesn’t happen often, but it doesn’t happen at all if you pull off the tape while the paint is still wet!
And pulling off the tape is so satisfying!
Here is a video showing the whole process from taping to painting…
I was laughing when I edited the video, because everyone in the family visits me at some point except Sebastian.
At one point, I stepped in a painted square and had to take off my socks! I had to constantly remind myself to just step on the white squares!
I let the floor dry overnight (and let my back and legs rest) and then I touched up some paint on the walls and baseboards…
This room took a ton of paint when we first moved in and I just faded towards the end. I didn’t care if the baseboards could’ve used one more coat of paint or the walls against the hardware cabinet looked a little splotchy! I’m sure you can relate to being at that point with a project when you just want to be done.
With all of the furniture moved out of the way, this was the time to put on that extra coat of paint and make it all look sharp and finished.
And, it looks great! I love how it adds a pattern without being too busy or overpowering.
And it looks even better now that the furniture is all back in place. I’ll show you how that looks tomorrow…
For quick reference, here are all of the products used in this post…
- Frog Tape
- Wooster 6″ roller
- microfiber roller cover
- Pelican Paint Bucket
- Rust Scat Semi-gloss Waterborne Enamel (factory white)
- Farrow & Ball Skylight (Mixed in the Rust Scat)
- Walls – Benjamin Moore Simply White (Aura, matte)
- Trim – Custom White, Benjamin Moore’s Advanced in Semi-Gloss (You can find the recipe in THIS POST)
- Art Cabinet Makeover PART 1 and PART 2 (It’s painted in a custom mix of MMSMP Boxwood & Lucketts Green, finished with Hemp Oil.)