There are some makeovers that have more to do with how a room looks than how it feels. It feels better; it feels more like “you”, but when it comes down to it, the makeover was cosmetic. It was about preferences and aesthetics and taste. Then, there are makeovers that are more about how a space feels than how it looks. It’s more about function and practicality. It’s not dramatic or beautiful to anyone but you.
Here are your two beautiful photos for this post and then I’m going to share an ordinary, everyday makeover I’ve been working on. It’s not beautiful or photogenic. It just feels better, functions better, and, in its own way, it looks better, too.
I’m talking about the storage room that is off of the guest room. This isn’t officially a closet, but we use it as one. It is a space that could be used as a little office, a sitting room, or even a place to put a treadmill and some exercise gear. But we have plenty of rooms in this house, so we use this particular space for storage. (You can see one of the French doors on the right side of the photo below…)
This storage room has been a problem area since we moved into this house almost four years ago. I’ve sorted it out before, but I’ve never gone through each bin and really thought through the best way to organize the things we’re storing. I would just get it under control, but it would inevitably get out of control again. I didn’t have some “before” photos of how the room looked just a few weeks ago, but I took some screen shots from my Instagram Stories for those who are interested in seeing what it looked like…
It’s not terrible, but it was disorganized and the shelves weren’t being used well. Random things were crammed into open spaces if I couldn’t reach where they belonged. I knew there was a lot of stuff that could be pitched or donated. But I was overwhelmed at the thought of going through everything in detail.
I finally decided to take it in bite-sized chunks. I would work on it for 15-30 minutes at a time, setting a timer so I didn’t get carried away and spend hours working on it. It was amazing what I was able to get accomplished in little spurts and starts spread out over about 8 weeks. Sometimes I got one whole shelf done and other times I just got through one bin. I made several trips to drop off things at the thrift store, took a bunch out to recyling, and pitched any trash along the way. A few days ago, I made a final push to get it completed.
The two shelves straight ahead are filled with consumables (some pantry overflow and paper goods), empty storage bins, shipping supplies, family papers/letters/photos, and our Christmas tree up top. The shelf to the right holds decor and paperwork (stored for tax purposes) up top. The two shelves on the left are Christmas decorations.
Some of this decor is in “use it or lose it” status. As I work on the basement family room, I hope to hang more art, use more of the bins and baskets and then thin out whatever remains. I do like to keep some things in reserve so I can switch things up, but I don’t need as much in reserve as I have!
I am also planning to thin out the Christmas stuff more after this Christmas. If I don’t use certain things, I’ll donate them. I used to have fewer bins for Christmas decor, but since we moved into a house that’s too dry for a live tree and greens, I’ve ended up having more to store. The top four bins are just greenery and lights! But, it’s all organized and labeled!
I got the floor so clean that I was able to roll out one of the rugs I designed for Annie Selke. They sent me a sample of both of the rugs I designed. One is in the basement bathroom, but I haven’t found a good spot for this one. It’s not exactly on display in here, but it feels nice underfoot and it’s a better way to store it than just having it rolled up. (You can see both of my rug designs HERE.)
The boys and I also worked together in the same manner over about three weeks and got the playroom cleaned up. Here’s what it looked like a couple of weeks ago when we had already made some progress…
…and here is what it looks like now! I was able to run the vacuum in there for the first time in a long time.
One shelf went into the playroom closet to use for toy storage and the other one went into the storage room. We’re now ready to move some furniture around and make this an exercise room. This is all a part of the basement family room makeover, by the way. We’ll be able to move the treadmill, weightbench, weights, etc. out of this room, which will not only look nicer, but it’ll be better use of both spaces.
This week, we’re going to take the climbing wall and vertical blinds down, get the walls prepped for paint, and get some of the furniture moved around. It’s slow and steady. It isn’t flashy or a pretty process, but it’s all about working towards a vision of making this space look and feel better…