bolster pillow cover

Marian ParsonsLiving Room, My House, upholstery

I said in my last post that I was going to be sewing up a storm and I definitely did.  I finished four accent pillows and two pillow cases and glued the welting on the second bergere chair.  A photo shoot is happening in my house next week and I’m using it as an excuse to get things finished that have been on my to-do list for a long time.  I’m going to start making new slipcovers for the wing chairs in the family room tomorrow.  I slipped those about eight years ago, in drop cloths.  They’ve held up really well, but they are starting to show the wear.

So, one of the pillow covers I made today was for the bolster on the living room sofa.  It’s been hanging out naked for the past few months and it was time to get it appropriately dressed!

bolster pillow cover | miss mustard seed

  bolster pillow cover | miss mustard seed

bolster pillow cover | miss mustard seed



I’m working at such a pace that I didn’t have a chance to make a tutorial, but I did snap a picture in process.  I sewed on the piping, then the ruffle, then the piece that would cover the pillow ends when gathered.  I made piping and the ties out of the coordinating check that’s on the back of the begere chairs.



I did write a tutorial on how to sew a bolster pillow for and you can find it HERE.  The style of that bolster is a little simpler, without the gathering.

Since I’m doing all of this work for the house, it’s easier to bring my supplies and materials from the studio than to carry everything over there.  Working at home has made me appreciate my studio space all the more.  I don’t know how I worked out of my house as long as I did!


I also had a chance to really work my new sewing machine.  My Kenmore finally breathed its last, so it’s headed over to my dad, so he can take it apart and show my boys how a motor works.  I went to buy another light-duty machine, only to find that Sears doesn’t make them anymore!  So, I bought this Singer and I’ve been really pleased with it so far.  It is a “heavy duty”, no frills sewing machine that I got for about $170 on sale at JoAnn’s.  The only special feature I really need is a buttonhole stitch and this one has it.



While it is “heavy duty”, it’s still my light duty machine.  It can’t handle four layers of grain sack, so I use my Sailrite for those projects.  I’ll have to lug that bad-boy over from the studio tomorrow for these slipcovers.

More sewing awaits…

bolster pillow cover

Related Posts

Room Refresh & Renew with Birch Lane

Calvin’s Christmas Bedroom

Christmas tree 2.0, paper whites & a blue truck

Christmas in the family room & a paper manger