I needed to pick up some supplies for the glitter workshop last week and I could hardly be out and about for the day without stealing a few minutes in an antique store!  So, I meandered through one of my local haunts, hitting some of my favorite vendor’s booths, picking up a few small things.  I wasn’t looking for furniture, but, of course, a piece of furniture found me.

I spotted this great counter-height farm table for $125.

I knew it had to come home with me.  It was worth the total pain of taking out one of my van seats and unloading it by myself at the studio.

Oh, the sacrifices.

I also bought this great basket for only $25.

I was trolling eBay just the day before for a large French laundry basket, but they were in the $200 range, which was more than I wanted to pay.  $25 was definitely more my speed.

So, back to the table.  I knew I wanted to paint it, but I wasn’t sure how much of it.  I liked the top, but was considering painting it as well.  I wasn’t 100% there, though.

When I’m unsure, I paint what I’m sure of and take it from there.

I painted the base in MMS Milk Paint Grain Sack and decided to leave the top alone…

I am still going to distress the edges just a little, but I ran out of time.  You can see how long the sunbeams were getting in the studio!

mms-2733
mms-2737
mms-2739

I may decide to paint the top down the road, but I’m going to live with it for a while until I’m 100% on it.

Tomorrow, I’ll be making an apple pie and my great-grandmother Rosa’s congealed fruit salad.  Happy baking and Thanksgiving prep to you, too!

If you need some table setting ideas for the big day, you can check out my eBay guide on setting a memorable Thanksgiving table.

1. Lora Bloomquist

I really like the sunbeams in your studio pics! Makes the photos seem more “real”, less contrived…just sayin!
    And love the wood/white combo on the table! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

2. Starla

Thank you for the daily inspiration and eye candy.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Michelle K

LOVE!!!!!!!!
    ~Michelle~

4. Lisa Mothersead

Have been looking for a reasonably priced french laundry basket for months. You really did get a steal! Love the farmhouse table. I have a pine one in my kitchen and they’re beautiful and so functional. I call mine a gathering table but I don’t remember why – LOL. Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Debbie Reynolds

Marian, the table is great! I think you just look at something and….it is beautiful!!!!!

6. Linda@Coastal Charm

Marian,
    AWESOME table and AWESOME price. I would leave the top of it as is….lovin’ how it looks with just the bottom painted. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and your family.

Blessings,
    Linda

7. Julie

Love the table and o would leave the top. To me that the appeal. I would just give it a coat of hemp oil.

8. Mary

Love it! I think you were spot on in leaving the top unpainted. It looks great!

9. Samantha

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the detailing on those legs! You manage to find the best deals… Happy Thanksgiving!

10. Cindy

Great finds! I found a farm table like that for the same price, and it just keeps sitting at my friend’s shop. Now I will paint the legs! What a difference that made in all that brown! …. love the basket too… i’m a basket lover from way back!

Cindy

11. Nancy

I have a similar table and am trying to decide what to do to it. I will definitely paint the base but the top is an ugly wood and I am not sure what to do with it. What color would you paint your top if you decided to paint it? Any other top suggestions? Thanks so much.

12. Sandy

Great score! I love the table and the basket! Perfect color for the table and I love that you left the top unpainted.

13. Robin Jacques

Please don’t paint the top! OMG it’s perfect!

14. Erin Rizzo

Ah, man, I never find stuff like that & at exceptionally great prices. How do you do that? I am so in love with the table. Oh my. lol!!!

15. Debbie

Ditto! Don’t paint the top. It really is perfect the way you have it now.

16. Valerie

I gave out a big sigh when I saw how you painted it. It looks wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

17. Anne Boykin

Dear MMS, Happy Thanksgiving. Love the table and the basket. You find the best bargains! Hugs, Anne Boykin

18. Cheryl

I would just leave the top and not paint it. I love the texture of the wood top.

19. Donna Doble-Brown

Gosh, I love the legs on that table. . . So neat!

20. Julie Lorson

I am living my dreams through your site! I love your colors, antiques, paint, and style. Thank you for sharing your home and decorating with us. I really enjoy hearing about your shopping sprees and photographs of all you purchased. Keep it coming!

Many thanks, Julie Lorson

21. Patty C

Love the job you did on the table! The top is beautiful – I can only imagine the stories of each ding and mark – love the feel of it!

22. Marlene Stephenson

You hit the jack pot for sure, have a Happy Thanksgiving with your family.

23. Susan

I love the table as it is now – fantastic with the unpainted top (although if I had bucket of money I would think about getting a marble slab to put on top of it – can’t get enough marble at the moment, I’m obsessed). Grain Sack is a total fave.
    Can we think of a more tempting name for what I’m sure is a delicious dish than “congealed” fruit salad?! Ha! 😉

• marian

Ha! That really is the best way to describe it, since it isn’t a “jello salad”. We call it “Rosa’s Fruit Salad”, but most people wouldn’t know what that is. 🙂

24. Lauren Baxter

Love that table! It looks great with the unpainted top. I say leave it! 🙂

Lauren Baxter | Lovely Decor
    xx

25. Allison

It’s time for you to get a van with stow and go seats! Then the whole “is it worth taking the seat out of the van?” won’t even be a factor!