Personal Retreat Guide for Creatives

by | May 16, 2019 | Running a Business | 39 comments

Last March, I went on a three-day creative retreat to Florida with a friend.  She needed a break from her routine and so did I.  So, we traveled together, split the cost of a hotel room, and then went our separate ways each day to get what we needed.

That time was so valuable!  I came back with decisions made on several things I had been struggling through.  I was filled with new ideas, plans, and a fresh enthusiasm for my work.  I also gained clarity on my goals and core values.

And now, I’m heading back to Florida to meet up with my dear friend, Shaunna, for another creative retreat.  We’re going to do a lot of thinking and planning together while we walk in the surf and sit by the pool.  (Going to a relaxing and beautiful destination is the best way to do creative retreats if you can swing it!)

As I’ve been preparing for this creative retreat and thinking about what I want to get out of it, I thought back to my last trip and how I went with a notebook full of questions to answer and books I was going to read, but I didn’t have a real plan or a guide.  A few people asked me if I would share the questions I asked myself and I intended to do that, but that intention was crowded out by other projects and deadlines.

Now, I have finally put a guide together, but I added a lot more questions and prompts that I wish I had on my first creative retreat…

It’s a 20-page guide that walks you through reflecting on your journey so far (successes, failures, what you’ve learned), where you are currently (what’s working in your business and what isn’t), and where you would like to go (cultivating new ideas, dreaming, turning dreams into plans, etc.)  I’m so excited about this guide and my hope is it will serve many creatives as they recharge, refocus, and reenergize.

And you don’t need to wait until you can schedule a formal retreat to use this guide.  I would suggest you give yourself an unhurried day outside of your house or workspace if you can.   I know that’s not always possible, depending on schedule and season of life, so take a little time each day in a quiet room if that’s all you can manage.

Whether you have a weekend, a day, or just a few hours, I think this guide will be beneficial to you and your business.

If you’re already a blog subscriber, you received this download to your inbox.  If not, you can sign up and download it by clicking the button below…

In addition to creating this guide, I also made a business resources page with links to business blog posts, some of my favorite business books and podcasts, photography gear, and a list of agencies I work with and digital tools I use.

Click here to get your Personal Retreat Guide

1. Michele

The Artists Way, by Julie Cameron is a spiritual and professional guide. It’s the best ever. She has an entire collection of series to read if you want to go to the next level.

• Debra Schumacher

I agree Michele, The Artist’s way by Julia Cameron is a resource I go back to again and again!

• Marian Parsons

You two talked me into it and I just ordered it. I’m looking forward to reading it.

• caryn

Oh my goodness you won’t regret it Marion. I love that book too! I’ll never give away my copy and I go back to it for good reminders and inspirations.

• Miss Mustard Seed

Sounds wonderful! I’ve heard of her, but I haven’t read any of her work. I’ll have to check it out.

2. Sharon

Be prepared!! Its hot here!! 90 in Tampa right now, bring a bathing suit and shorts!!!

3. Kathryn

Michele…I was just about to suggest this book. Invaluable! And I actually recommend it to all my therapy clients.

4. April

Thank you for the resource page. It is awesome. 🙂

5. miki

I must be a complete idiot…I’ve tried everything and can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong….I cannot find the Guide to download it. I’ve unsubscribed and subscribed and I haven’t a clue.

• Debra Schumacher

hey miki ~ your not an idiot! I can’t get it either and I am already a subscriber!

• Marian Parsons

Debra, so sorry about that! I just e-mailed it directly to you.

• Debra Schumacher

Thank you ~ NO worries. So excited that’s all! (and glad it wasn’t me lol!)

• Marian Parsons

I just e-mailed it directly to you. Sorry about the confusion!

• Miki

Eeeeeeeeeeee!!! Thank YOU! I just got it;) I’m at work and have been frantic trying to figure it out! That’s what you do to us, Marian….We LOVE everything you give us in your posts: pictures, information, explanations, your creativity, etc. I can’t wait to read it.

• Debra Schumacher

thank you so much for this wonderful resource and everything you share with us!

6. Shirley Howard

I can’t get it either. already a subscriber.

7. albert

Same here not able to get to the download. It ask me to change my preferences.

• Marian Parsons

Sorry about that, Albert! I e-mailed it along to you and we have the glitch fixed now!

8. Felicity

It was such a lovely surprise to receive this gift without notice yesterday.

Thankyou.

I haven’t had time to read it all yet, and am so looking forward to reading and using it. It’s just what I need, and once again you have delivered with uncannily perfect timing 🙂

All the best for your retreat.

• Marian Parsons

Oh, I’m so glad!

9. Kate

I am doing “The Artists Way” by Julia Cameron with my dear friend via FaceTime every week (be forewarned, it is not only a book, but a workbook with exercises, assignments and lots of projects and things to do). It is life changing. Take your time, savor it, do all the assignments, you will grow in so many ways. Doing it with someone has had the added bonus of enriching our friendship and brought us to a new level of intimacy that I am treasuring. It is also enriching my marriage. Can’t say enough good things about this book.

10. Theresa

I am not able to find the guide for downloading either. I am already a subscriber. I looked in my email and it was not there. Is there some other way to download this

• Marian Parsons

Sorry, we were having tech issues, but it’s fixed now and I’ll e-mail you the guide directly! Sorry about that!

11. Maureen

I did not receive the personal retreat guide ☹️

• Marian Parsons

I’m sending it along to you, Maureen! We had a tech glitch.

12. Leanne

This is what worked for me, if you manage to get to the page with the Submit button (which then does not allow an action):
    If you are on the page with the Submit button, enter your email address and name, then click submit. Then refresh the page and it takes you back to the page with the Subscribe and Download your Personal Retreat Guide button. Click the button and the guide will show up in your Inbox. I hope this is of help!

I agree — a prominent artist friend is an instructor for The Artist’s Way program. He insisted I read it. It can be life-changing. Enjoy!

13. Sandy

thank you so much for this! part of my new year resolution was to do a couple of creative workshops this year – I’m getting ready to leave for one for a week; a friend was going with me that had to cancel – I wondered what I would do to keep myself occupied at night since I won’t know anyone there (not really, how fabulous and rare is free time) but it will be the perfect time to read and plan with your guide! heaven sent 🙂 thx again!!!!!

14. Donna

I haven’t been able to download the guide either. I’m using an iPad, if that helps at all.

15. Claire

I must be a dunderhead but I cannot figure out how to download – or order? – the guide. I am a subscriber and i’ve resubscribed now a dozen times. Help.

16. Darlann

It appears the glitch hasn’t quite been corrected. I received the email saying, here’s your personal retreat guide, but the guide was not included.

I can send a screen shot if that helps.

17. Jan Fusco

That beach looks a lot like my area on the panhandle of Florida. Enjoy.

18. Marie Claire

I did not get the retreat guide; could you please email it to me? I am a subscriber.

19. Kathy

Claire and I must be two peas in a pod. The guide won’t download for me either.

20. Barbara

Mine isn’t downloading either.

21. Cheryl

Thank you so much for making it and offering it to us and for free! I know your time is valuable. You are awesome!!

22. Martha

Thank you for creating this guide! Could you please add me to your list to send it to? I wasnt able to get it either.
    Thank you!
    Martha

• Martha

Never mind I got it! Thank you so much!!!! 😊

23. Lynne

Thank you for the download my wheels are turning. I am from Florida born and raised in South Fl. I now live in Ocala. I’d love to know where you are staying for future trips. I LOVE FLORIDA I’m proud to call it home. Enjoy your retreat! Keep us posted.

• Marian Parsons

went to Panama City Beach. I used to live in Florida, too…in the Orlando area and then in Palatka. I loved aspects of living in Florida, but I just could not tolerate the heat and humidity and I really missed winter. Minnesota suits me much better, but I love visiting Florida when it’s not too hot! 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Special Guest Marian Parsons On Growing and Doing Business Your Own Way | Episode 68 - Wendy Batten - […] free retreat guide Marian and Wendy talk about can be found here.Blog | Facebook | […]