The time has come to make some slipcovers for the parsons’ chairs at either end of our kitchen table. Well, technically, they are sort of hybrid mini-wing/parsons’ chairs. I lucked out when I bought them in that they were listed as a pair even though the price was just for one. So, I got two for the price of one! (THIS is the chair, but it’s out of stock and the price on the listing is double what I paid for two, but it might help you find something similar.)
Anyway, I knew when I bought them that the light, linen-ish upholstery would be toast. There was just no way with two pre-teen boys that they were going to stay pristine. They are their favorite chairs, so they have taken a beating with drips and spills. To make matters worse, my youngest son likes to have his insulin pods changed on these chairs, so they get adhesive and adhesive remover on them.
Oh, I know they are bad! Hence the need for slipcovers.
I have extra buffalo check and curtain fabric, so I am going to use one of those. In order to decide, I draped each of the fabric pieces over the back of the chair to see how it works with the rest of the room. Here is the buffalo check (Check Please in Lakeland)…
And here is the curtain fabric (Convington Canterbury in Indigo)…
In the context of the room, I like the curtain fabric the best, which sort of surprised me. I would’ve picked the buffalo check before seeing them in the room. I think the busier pattern will be more forgiving with spills and stains, too.
I’m just going to make some simple slips with ties in the back and a ruffled skirt that matches the other chairs.
In other household news, I worked on the garden this week and finally got the mulching done! Mid-summer, as I have learned, is not the best time to mulch. It looks really good, though, and I’ll share that in another post.