I received a few comments about the farm table in my kitchen. You could see peeks of it in my kitchen accessories post, so here is a full view. (Ugh…excuse the floor!)
I bought it a few months ago at an antique store with every intention of selling it. I even put a tag on it at one point. I set it in my living room. It was totally the wrong size and scale for the space, but I really liked it. I stained and waxed the top and held onto it to use for the farmhouse chic wedding I styled. Afterward, I decided to try it in my kitchen, which is not really an eat-in kitchen, but I thought it might work.
The size worked perfectly and now there’s a place in the kitchen where my family of four can sit together to eat…
…and it gives me a good excuse to keep the table. I just couldn’t part with those wide planks.
So, in case there was any doubt …I truly am crazy. I’ve been eyeing my maple cabinets since the day we first walked through our home. I have threatened to paint them many times, but the quantity of them and scope of the project always made me pause. I have 51…yes FIFTY-ONE cabinet doors and 16 drawers. That means a crap-load of hardware and a monstrous amount of work.
Being a member of the True Value DIY Blog Squad finally gave me the push I needed. I purchased my paint (I’ll share more about that when I get to the actual painting) and took the plunge into the prep work. I had already decided…in my desire to do things the easy way…that I was not going to remove all fifty-one doors. Well, when I thought about it further, I realized there was no way around that and if I was going to paint all fifty-one cabinet doors and sixteen drawers, I was going to do it properly
If you’ve ever studied up on removing cabinet doors, you know the “number the doors” trick.
I’ve always seen the doors numbered and then labled on a chart of the kitchen. I was about ready to draw a sketch of my kitchen and I decided it would be much better to just number the cooresponding cabinets.
No chart required. I used Frog Tape for delicate surfaces and a Sharpie.
I realized as I removed some of the doors that there were two holes drilled, so I circled the one the hinge was screwed into, so I would put it back in the right spot.
I then took the opportunity to clean out each cabinet. Again, I’m going to do this right and, after the craziness that’s been my life and business since last August, my cabinets really needed attention. I vacuumed, scrubbed and organized each one and filled three 30 gallon trash bags.
The next step…cleaning and prepping the cabinets with Gloss-Off.
Here’s a peek at the hardware I bought through True Value.
I’m so excited to see how it all comes together…
…totally tired, but excited.
As a chosen member of the True Value DIY Blog Squad, I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about the experience. I have also been compensated for the materials used in this DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.