kim’s coastal bedroom | the bedskirt & built-ins

Marian Parsonshome improvement, Room Makeovers, woodworking

I know lots of you are eagerly awaiting the reveal of my mom’s room makeover.  Trust me…she is, too!  My design services are free, but they aren’t fast!

We have been making some progress, though.  I mentioned before that I made a bedskirt, but I didn’t have a chance to get a picture of it, until this weekend.  (…when we watched the Redskins beat the Bears.  Just throwing that out there.)

 Here it is on the bed…


It really adds a finished look to the bed and a hint of color and pattern in the neutral space.  The fabric is Adelaide Mist from Sailrite.

If you need a reminder, here is where we started…


It’s getting there!


I wish I had made a tutorial of the skirt, but I flew through it to get it made for my mom’s birthday, so I could present it to her when I took her out to dinner a few weeks ago.  It involved lots of hemming and ruffling, I’ll tell you that, and it took four yards of fabric, so it is full and heavy.

I had the blue pillow already and I sent it home with my mom for her to see how it worked on the bed and we really like it.  It’s sticking out a bit at the moment, but we’ll add some more blue accents, which my mom really wants.  I am going to make a small bolster out of the floral fabric to go in front of the blue pillow to tie things together a bit more.


My parents also picked up their newly slipcovered chair and it looks great.  We’re going to look for a throw for the back, just to add some color.  My mom was commenting how white everything is right now, but that’s because we’re still building the foundation of the space.  It’s the accessories that will bring in more warmth, personality and color.  Since we’re going coastal, we needed to start at a soft, neutral, serene place.


And I’m just loving the wall color.  It’s just a whisper and it feels so fresh.


My dad and I started working on the built-ins last week.  There is so much math involved that it makes my head hurt!  I lassoed Jeff into helping me put together the cut list, because it had to be exact.

And my gifting lies more in the area of estimating.


He also helped me with cutting all of the pieces, so my dad and I could just build.  (I’m pretty comfortable with power tools, but I’m a total weeny around the table saw.)  We cut all of the pieces to our measurements and then labeled and taped them in bundles, so we (I) wouldn’t get confused during assembly.


Well, I still spent quite a bit of time staring quizzically at the bundles, so there was some confusion on my part, but we got it sorted out.



The first task was to build the face frames.  This is the front of the cabinet or shelves that hide the plywood edges and make everything look nice and finished.

Building the face frames was pretty simple.  I set them on the work surface and made marks where we wanted to drill the pocket holes to screw them together.


The pocket holes were always on the ends of the horizontal pieces, so they screwed into the vertical pieces.


The key to this kind of joinery is the Kreg jig.  We have a Kreg table and it makes building projects like this so simple. (This isn’t a sponsored post, by the way, but it will sound a bit like a Kreg commercial.)


You just put the piece in, clamp it and pull down the handle.  It drills a perfect pocket hole, so the screw can be inserted at just the right angle.


We clamped the vertical pieces to the workbench, so we could screw the horizontal pieces in.


Building the face frames went pretty quickly and without event.

The cabinets, though, were a bit more of a challenge.  I realize you might think that my dad and I together would be really good at this, but neither of us have built cabinets before.  I’ve been Jeff’s assistant and my dad has done some tinkering, but this was definitely the blind leading the blind sitaution.

The nice thing is that we’re very similar.  We both think done is better than perfect.  We both can improvise and be flexible when we realize we made mistakes, miscalculated or messed up.  Which we did.

Jeff is the “built-in man” in our family and he is a perfectionist.  Often times, my primary job as his assistant is to convince him not to throw away what he just made!

The first cabinet would’ve been chuck-worthy if Jeff had been in the room, but my dad and I kept taking it apart and putting it back together, fixing our errors.  We would laugh and comment that Jeff, who my dad sometimes refers to as “the reverend”, wouldn’t approve of our improvisation or the seams that weren’t perfectly flush.

It took us about 85 minutes to make the first cabinet and then 15 to make the second one, because the first one was our guinea pig.  We were slowed down quite a bit because we had to recut the sides, because of a miscalculation on my part, we screwed the face frame on inside out and by the time it was all said and done, had to take the cabinet apart and put it back together again about six times.

Despite all of the kerfuffles, the result was two finished base cabinets!

I nervously showed my first building projects to Jeff when he got home that day…


…and despite some imperfections, “the reverend” approves.


If you’d like to catch up on Kim’s Coastal Room Makeover Series, you cans start here…

Part 1 | the concept

Part 2 | the before pictures

part 3 | selecting a wall color

part 4 | the walls & built-in plans

kim’s coastal bedroom | the bedskirt & built-ins

Related Posts

Furniture for the Family Room & Calvin’s Room

The trials of decorating for an 8-year-old boy

styling the girl’s vintage bedroom

Pine Cone Hill Giveaway