A few months ago, Jeff and I made a cupboard around a pair of reclaimed doors I bought at an antique market for $40. They hung in my dining room for a few years, but I always thought they would be perfect in a custom-built cabinet.
The full tutorial will be available on HGTV.com at some point and I will link to it when it is.
I must admit, this cabinet gave me the “building bug” and now I’m ready to do a lot more designing and building.
You know…with all of my free time.
Anyway, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to paint the doors initially, so I didn’t. I figured I would leave them alone and live with them unpainted for a while.
After just a couple of weeks, I knew I wanted to paint them. The cupboard didn’t feel cohesive to me and I felt like the finish looked streaky more than distressed. It was okay, but I just wasn’t loving it.
And I like it so much better. It feels more cohesive and I like how the paint is gently worn, now. I made a “mid-project” decision to paint the hardware as well. The catches and the latches were two different pieces, so the metals didn’t exactly match. Painting them unified the mis-matched pairing and I think you can see the details better with a light sanding to rub the paint off some of the high points.
I lightly knocked down the edges with a medium grit sanding sponge and I left the paint unfinished. (I didn’t apply a wax or oil to it.)
The inside is painted in a custom-color mix, a pale greenish-gray. I left it as a contrast to the white.
Now this piece feels right…