DIY Club Tutorial & a Tea Tin Makeover

by | Sep 27, 2010 | Before and Afters, crafts, Furniture Makeovers, Tutorials | 17 comments

I am honored to be a guest blogger today over at the DIY Club!  I was challenged with using some of their sponsored products to come up with a DIY project and this is the result.  Would you like to know how to turn a dated burlap shade and a “scratch and dent” Goodwill lamp into something unique and chic?  Check out my full tutorial over at the DIY Club
On another note, I mentioned that Leslie brought me a bunch of goodies to makeover when she visited me at the grand opening of Wild Rose and Co. Marketplace.  One thing I spotted in the box was a vintage tea tin.  I didn’t take a before picture of it, but you know what I’m talking about.  I decided to give it a new life by painting over the label with chalkboard paint.
I love how versatile and updated it is, now.  This would look great holding fresh flowers, cotton balls, paperclips or pencils.  I think a row of them would be very cool in a kitchen, office or bathroom.
There’s no reason why you couldn’t do this with new coffee and tea tins, which is a great way to reuse something you might otherwise throw away.  Vintage tins can be found at yard sales, flea markets and thrift stores for under $1.00, so this is a very thrifty and easy makeover.
Some of the simplest projects are my favorite.
Miss Mustard Seed

1. Paddywack Designs

Great look. I just have to pass along a little story about the song… my son, 3, always wants me to play the "Jazz songs" when we are in the car…he's referring to my Nate King Cole cd, but he always wast me to skip the slow songs, except for "Autumn Leaves" for some reason he loves that song and he even sings along, pine away about the "sunburn hands I use to hold." Love your blog.

2. simple~needs

love this post!! the lyrics on the chalkboard are wonderful!!
    reading your blog always brings a smile to my face.
    kim

3. hilary @ oldhouse.truelove.

wonderful idea, I have lots of old tins that just sit and sit and sit… now to put them to work! Thanks for sharing.

4. Cindy

Great idea for the tin. Love it,and such a clever idea for something that will get tossed.

5. Cindy

Great idea! I love the little tin, now who can't do something like that? I can even do that!

6. cleverpenguin

Great idea! I'll admit that I haven't used chalkboard paint yet. Part of what's keeping me from doing so is that I wonder if it feels like a chalkboard to the touch?

7. Karen

Marian,

Love the tin idea and LOVE the silver handled scissors. How pretty.

Karen@Garden, Home and Party

8. Mama Zen

I love that tin!

9. Chrissie

The scissors are beautiful!

10. parismarket

I love this idea…..I do not know what I love better the functional tin or the gorgeous cool scissors inside. Thanks for sharing-

Molly
    parismarket.typepad.com

11. Tammy

You are one talented and BUSY girl!
    Sweet Project!
    Tammy 🙂

12. Farmer's Wyfe

Hi! I've admired your blog for a few weeks now. I heard of you first when I lived down in Frederick, MD and painted furniture, etc, for Edward and Edward, a quaint shop in town. Somebody there told me of a woman in Gettysburg that painted furniture. Then I got some painting magazines that you were in (I'm pretty sure). Now I found your blog! So funny how small the world is, even though I've never met you! 🙂 But as one artist to another, I really admire your work; it's so beautiful!! Maybe one of these days I'll actually meet you! God bless til then! I really want to try that chalk board paint; looks soo fun!!

13. Norbert Bell

I love it! Love the colors and fabric! It's the first one on my list to check out for fun DIY projects. Thanks for posting so many elegant and thrifty projects!

Kitchen

14. bego

love all your works, absolutely!