What’s in the Hopper & What’s New

by | Oct 6, 2009 | Antiques, Favorite Finds | 20 comments

I have A LOT of things in the hopper, so I thought I’d share a few with you. This desk is for my office. I’m doing the same look I did with my furniture stripping tutorial table. I’ve already stained the top dark walnut, which is why it is covered. One more coat of paint… This little table is for the shop. Inspiration hasn’t hit me, yet, but I have this pretty blue/gray color I’m going to use on it. This table was $1.00 at an antique store. It had been sitting outside for so long that the finish had totally flaked off. That made my job easier! Since it was raw wood, I stained the top (dark walnut, of course) and I’m still deciding what color to paint it.

This is the current state of my dining room…yikes. Our new shop is opening in a few weeks, so I haven’t been bringing anything into the current shop (less to move.) So, my house is the holding place…and I’m ready for it to not be the holding place any more. This French Provincial sofa is waiting for a slipcover.

My dining room table is covered in yard sale and thrift store finds. To the right is some finished tables, the painted shutter and two more chairs waiting for a cleaning & slipcovers.

And my office is even worse…This is my little work surface. I’m in the process of looking for a big farm table or waiting for hubby to make me one. I’m currently making over my bulletin board that usually hangs above that. I’ll reveal that today or tomorrow.

And here’s my temporary desk. It’s a vanity that will move down to the basement for a new look and then move into the shop. I can’t wait for my other desk to be completed. It’s like “musical furniture” at my house.

Oh my…and here’s the floor. What’s funny is – I’m a crazy neat person. Messes drive me nuts, but I don’t have a good place for this stuff until the new shop opens. Also, I’m looking for a large wardrobe to help with storage, but I haven’t found the right one, yet. I’ve entered this post in the Procrastination linking party at The Inpired Room. This stuff needs to be done ASAP!

And here are some of my finds from today. Don’t get upset…this fabric was NOT from Goodwill! While on a trip to Goodwill last week I spotted a brand-spankin‘ new Hobby Lobby. I’ve heard so much about that place on the blogs, so I went to check it out. Loved it! I bought this fabric for my bedroom, but it may go in my office…haven’t decided.

This was from Goodwill. I still can’t decide if I really like it or not, but I’m going to paint it and see how it looks then. I’m thinking white with an antique glaze. We’ll see.

This nickel finished towel rack had a Bed Bath & Beyond sticker that said $19.99! Someone tried to unload it at a yard sale for $3.00 and it ended up at Goodwill and in my basket for $2.97.

This stool is nothing special, but it will look really cute painted up for a kid’s bathroom. It was $3.97.

I actually bought this mirrored tissue box last week, but forgot to photograph it. I think I’ll add some painted detail around the sides.

I purchased supplies to make some topiaries from Hobby Lobby, but decided I would take my chances on finding cheaper pots to put them in. No more than 30 minutes later I found this pair in Goodwill for $1.97 each! Now, I hate brass, but spray paint can fix that. I’ll show a tutorial shortly…

As you see…I’ve got a lot to do! I’m also painting a full-room Star Wars mural this weekend. I can’t wait to show you pictures of that! Stay tuned…
I’m linking these finds to the Thrifty Thursday Party over at Bloggeritaville. Check it out!

1. Christina

It doesn't take long to get lost in furniture clutter, it happens at my house all the time.

2. Kim

Are you still going to have a tutorial on painting decals on furniture? I want to make sure I don't miss that.
    Thanks! Kim

3. Gail

Oh my you are one busy lady! Maybe one day I'll get to come to your shop. My husband and I have been wanting to go to Lancaster Penn because we have heard they have some awesome auctions. We live in Maryland and I think we might be like three hours or so away. I wish you all the best with the shop. You sure do have a lot of creative and unique things to put in there. I have always wanted to do just what you're doing…open up a shop. Well you have a wonderful day.

Gail

4. Melanie

Girl, you are crazy busy! I don't know how you do it all. It will come together and look great in the end. Don't you just love Hobby Lobby? I would go every week if I didn't live 45mins. from one. In about 4 weeks I won't:)

5. Funky Junk Interiors

LOL!!! Actually, I was pretty in awe with your area you have available to paint your stuff in. I could only wish!!

The other jumble of stuff? Looks normal schnormal to me. My office and garage is a near duplicate to all that and more.

Can you say caffine anxiety without the coffee?!? I totally hear ya.

Donna

6. Jenn

Can't wait to see all the new projects come to life!

Every time I see your dining room chandelier I remember it was $4.00 and get so jealous! 🙂 I hope the yard sale gods bless me like that someday!

7. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

Well, I'm loving everything you are showing ~ again! I love that desk you are doing for your office ~ that is going to look fantastic when it's all done! And now, another reason to be jealous ~ you now have a Hobby Lobby. I'm so jealous of people with Hobby Lobby, which we don't have here. However, if you've got one now maybe they will make their way down the east coast. Shake things up at Michael's a little bit.

I'm pushing for a trip in your neck of the woods in May ~ if things go as planned maybe I could stop by your shop for a little visit. I'll bring the van! ; )

8. Anne Lorys - Fiona and Twig

I soooo feel your pain! My house looked like that for days leading up to my booth opening. It's still not completely back to normal yet. I guess as a dealer, I just need to find a new normal!
    Anne

9. Amber B.

Wow! You have so many projects right now. Can't wait to see them all.

10. Debra @ Common Ground

Wow, love that work shop, what I wouldn't give for that baby, I've about lost hope for my garage. I'm slowly chipping away at it. The material is FABULOUS! and I can't wait to see your new shop!
    Debra

11. The Little Red Shop

You're so fun…and I haven't forgotten that I need to post on the award you kindly gave me…I'm just procrastinating…

: )

Julie M.

12. Karli @ RockyBella

Super cool stuff! You have great furniture.
    Thank you for your sweet comment. As for the counter-tops (I actually completed that project over a month ago)when you use the Envirotex stuff, they hold up much better. I used the enviro on the first section I did months ago, its much harder to get even and look good- but possible- very possible. It holds up very well to dings, scratched and even heat- but not super good with stains. There are two small foggy looking stains from coffee and wine. (oh my vices!)
    The polyurethane is NOT going to be durable, I can already tell. There are a few parts where the paint came up in pencil eraser sizes. This is where I had my coffee maker and the hot water sat too long (underneath when it leaked). I would recommend doing this ONLY if using Envirotex. Click on this link for some great examples and some awful ones too. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf999197.tip.html

13. Diann @ The thirfty Groove

Looks like you have your hands full! But, when you open your new shop it will all be wonderful!

I totally agree on painting that fruit item anitque white. I think it will look beautiful!

14. Cindy@OldTimePickers

I'm laughing…not at you, but at the fact your house looks like mine. I'm trying and losing my mind at the same time. I sell at flea markets and online. We came across some wonderful bargains this summer. I told hubby we need a storage building. I'm stiff and sore from shoving and pushing and putting it all back again. So I feel your pain! 🙂
    Thanks for helping me with my painting. I'm working on it!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

15. Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville

Miss Mustard Seed, It is quite possible that we occupy the same home, and not know it for the mess. LOL. I feel ya! I am loving that gorgeous fabric! What great thrifty Thursday finds! LOve those treasures! Thanks for linking up, friend!
    HUGS!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville

16. Marigene

I know what you mean about living with a mess…..that is the one reason I haven't gotten around to painting the living room, it makes a mess of the whole house….Drives me to distraction!

You found many nice thrifty treasures. That fruit/nut/berry tree will be fabulous painted white and then glazed.

17. Suzy

Wow you got some great finds! I love that little stool you found. I need one like that!

18. Jennifer Dixon

I'm just browsing some of your older posts and noticed your Hobby Lobby fabric. I have several yards of the same fabric I purchased there for a new duvet cover for my bedroom. It is still tucked away in the closet waiting for me to do something with it, however. Did you ever make anything out of yours?

Jennifer

19. Lillian

Oh my! You ARE a real girl! Your house looks like my basement den, MBR,& K getting set up to fill 100 older girl’ OCC boxes