think about such things

by | Nov 5, 2020 | a slice of life, Balance | 71 comments

I have found myself puttering around during the day more often than usual.  I’m still productive and have plenty to show for my time, but I’m not working with my usual intensity and purpose.  After months of big things…sudden homeschooling, adjusting to quarantine and life during a pandemic, home projects, writing a book, selling a paint line, launches, and deadlines, I find that I am craving a slower pace.  I know so many of you are feeling the same sort of fatigue that I am after running your own gauntlet of challenges and stressors that have presented themselves this year.

I wasn’t going to put up a post today, because the world feels noisy right now and it really doesn’t need more words.  But as I was working in my studio, I caught myself admiring the beauty in simple things…

A tangled mess of ribbons and hand-cut vintage fabrics in my favorite color scheme…

blue and white plaid ribbon | miss mustard seed

The way the sun shines through a feather, making it almost glow…

art supplies | miss mustard seed

The way paint clings to the side of my water cup, declaring itself to be art…

art water cup | antique white ironstone | miss mustard seed

The way little things can bring great delight…

antique art supplies | miss mustard seed

The way light falls, creating its own design…

acrylic paper | miss mustard seed

The way inanimate objects seem to dance…

art mannequin | miss mustard seed

The way a bundle of clean paper is filled with anticipation and promise…

acrylic paper | blue and white twine | miss mustard seed

The way a scrappy, homemade brush can show me how to paint in a whole new way…

homemade art brush | acrylic landscape painting | miss mustard seed

The humor that can be found in the curiosity of cats…

antique watercolor tubes | miss mustard seed

As I was admiring these things, I found the words repeating in my head, “Whatever is lovely, whatever is noble, whatever is good, whatever is beautiful…dwell on such things.”

I don’t know how you’re feeling today in the midst of upheaval and uncertainty, but I just want to encourage you to meditate on all that is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, good, excellent, praiseworthy, and beautiful.

Think about such things.

“…whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

Philippians 4:8

1. J Wood

Thank you for these thoughts. So needed at this time.

2. Trina

Love this post! ❤️

• Jen C

Thank you. You have given me perspective that is needed right now. I’m so thankful for the Lord because he is watching over us as we go through this uncertainty. We can find a safe haven with prayer, our families, friends, and homes.

3. T Rotter

Great post! Finding the beauty in such simple things…

• Kane

How I hate when the video screen pops out when I want to read posts, ughhh…

• Kari

I agree, but this is how Marian has an income that allows her to share her thoughts and beauty with all of her readers.

4. Betty Young

As the election mania continues, I get closer to my cozy home and appreciate everything I create to a higher degree.
    Thank you for reminding me that the only thing true is my beleif in God. I am so grateful for the family and home I have and my beautiful friends. Bless you. Keep posting inspiring and beautiful content on your blog.. You brighten my day.
    Fondly,
    Betty

5. Diane Smith

Thank you! I needed that!

• DeniseW

I agree with the idea of appreciating beauty in the everyday especially in turbulent times. There are so many good, beautiful and positive things to focus on everyday.

6. Lee

I read this like poetry. Thank you.

7. Bea

What lovely observations and thoughts to guide us through an uncertain time. So often we fail to notice the beauty that is all around us. Thanks for tying your observations and thoughts to Phillippians 4:8. I love that verse. Thanks for a wonderful addition to my day.

8. Fran

So glad you posted…I needed that! Thank you.

9. Heather

I love your words, observations and pictures! Thank you for sharing these today.

10. Vicki

What a sweet post. Thank you for the reminder.

An idea for a book series for you, perhaps? Whatever is Lovely…Think About Such Things are such apt titles for you.

11. Jane

Thank you for this verse. ❤️

12. Peg

Thank. You. Something so many need to hear right now. What has happened to us?

13. Debi

Thank you so much, Marian! What a wonderful reminder!

14. Karen

Perfect word for today. Thank you.

15. Barbara

A child trying to catch a ray of sunlight.

16. Annette

Thank you Marian!!

17. Rebecca DeGroodt

Very well said, thank you. And for referencing the verse too, I wasn’t aware of that one and it seems like an excellent mantra for right now.

18. Sandra

What brand of sketchbook are you painting in?

• Marian Parsons

It’s a handmade sketchbook I purchased off of Etsy. I’ll have to find the link to it. It’s beautifully made with nice, thick watercolor paper.

19. Mary Kaiser

Well said and I am thankful that you decided to post that after all. It touched my heart! I appreciate you saying all of that, and showing all of those beautiful images. Thank you!

20. Kathi Mundigler

So wonderful to read these words, I think we all need to hear this right now. The world just doesn’t feel quite right in so many ways and it is comforting to know that one is not alone in these feelings. Thank you !

21. Ce Ce

One of my “go to” verses. You are such a lovely spirit. I think when God gets a little tired of the messy stuff, He looks at you and smiles again.

• Christina Edwards

What a lovely thing to say.

22. Lindy Powell

Like so many others, well said and touching ~ Thank you ~

23. Fran

Thanks! Needed!

24. Jackie B

Thank you, Marian! I have been doing the same, walking around our home admiring how the light illuminates a book or how a pillow looks once fluffed. Simple little treasures that God sends us.

25. Amber

Thank you for posting today. I’ve checked with your blog off and on over the years and always enjoyed it. But in recent months have become much more consistent. With all the crazy your blog and its focus on simple yet beautiful things has been so refreshing. So I just wanted to say thank you for sharing the beautiful things around you.

26. Mary Files

What a chord you have stuck…again! I keep a collection of commonplace books by topics important to my life , each named from ‘snippets’ of scripture. The one I reach for most often these days is titled, “Whatsoever Things…” In the muddle and blur of present day uncertainties, fears and heartaches that is knocking so loudly at all of our doors, these lovely images and affirmations can serve to cushion, assure and inspire. They bear great light. And, after all is said and done, light overcomes darkness. Thank you for your encouragement. It is, indeed, the most welcome visitor of all,

27. Monique Denoncin

You are right about seeing modest little things that bring joy. They are all around us all the time but are often ignored. Your inclusion of the verse Philippians 4 : 8 is right on! It touched me. The words: true-noble-right-lovely and admirable are not what I and my friends have seen the last years. I hope we can turn a page. My anxiety which is shared by my friends who are also creative people has paralysed our creative minds.
    So I am glad about your post and your ability to see beauty in this somber times.
    Merci.

28. Vickie White

Maybe your beat post ever. Thank you fir sharing.

29. Rebecca

Thank you, so beautiful!

30. Brenda

Thankyou for that reminder! Have a great evening!

31. Addie

Ahhh yes!!!
    Enjoy the simple and lovely things. Exhale. Thank you for the post and the verse.
    And we know God is in control.

32. Mary from Life at Bella Terra

Marian, Lovely post. I noticed the brass magnifying glass on the stand. I have been looking for one of those for years and just found one through eBay. When the world gets crazy, I garden, bake and reinvest my stress elsewhere. We need more good noise like this!

33. Jill Seivert

And remember to breathe… peace.

34. Jan Fusco

Thank you Marianne. I needed this post.

35. Judy

Please don’t ever think your words on the blog add to the noise of the world! They sooth and calm the soul….just the opposite of the noise and chatter all around no matter the topic you have chosen to share.

36. Linda

Thank you for posting. Philippians 4 was my time with the Lord this morning.

37. Suzy

Thank you! So true! I had the sudden thought to get out pen and ink and and put this verse on paper. I will be putting this verse on the front of the bulletin for Sunday.

I’m a church secretary.

• Karen

Thank you for these words…as always I’m behind in my reading. Here we are days later and I still needed to read this. Thank you for always, consistently being a source of inspiration and calm.

38. Debbie Hibbert

What a beautiful post … and so perfectly timed!♥️

39. MARY-ANN (FROM CANADA!)

Thanks, Marian, for such a beautiful post and scripture verse. Have a great day!

40. Susan

Amen.
    Thank you for letting your light shine.

41. Donna Burke

I love what I call “ordinary magic”. Everyday items and even utilitarian items that are beautiful and simple. I needed this today. My Grandma passed away this morning at the age of 92. A piece of my history and my future gone. She taught me the joys of hanging clothes on the line, flowers growing on a hill, bacon grease, large pocketbooks and housecoats/dresses…. Some days are just hard, but my Grandma saw beauty and joy in everything. ♥

42. Karon

Amen!! It has felt like I have been traveling on a highway without seeing the scenery and realize that I need to slow down, drive thru the country lanes, and enjoy the beautiful autumn that God has brought forth. Stop, get out of the car and take a deep breath of the fresh, clean autumn air. We all have been inside too much this year with too much stress. We each need a little down time to focus on little things, joyful things to clear our mind, lessen the stress, focus on different things. Thank you Marianne for bringing this to our minds and reminding us to stop and enjoy our surroundings, whatever that may be for each of us. Karon

43. Beth B

Thank you so much for redirecting us to God’s word. It brought comfort to me this morning. I always look forward to your posts because I can count on the fact that you don’t just post to be posting, if that makes sense. You are very thoughtful and that comes through. Thank you again.

44. lee

Music to my ears ♥

45. Robin Bentley

Thank you, Marian, for these words. I had tears streaming down my face after I read this. The world is so messy and I’m just tired but these words brought meaning to the everyday fear and upheaval of the days, weeks, months both behind us and ahead of us. I LOVE that bible verse. It will be on my desk for my daily reminder that even though we can’t control what goes on outside, we can control what goes on inside, in our hearts, in our minds and in our tasks at hand.

46. Doreen

Thank-you for these words. Words such as these are what we need to hold in our hearts and minds in the uncertain times we are currently faced with. I will write this one down and keep it close at hand.

47. Sandy

So glad the Lord prompted you to share this when you had thought to be silent instead.

48. Monica

Marian, you said exactly what I’ve been feeling these weeks and months. I thought once the election was over, the heaviness I’ve been feeling would lift a bit, but it’s only gotten worse. I can’t even watch the news, and find myself wanting nothing but quiet, peace, and family around my table. Thank you for following the prompting of the Holy Spirit and posting Philippians 4:8. The timing is perfect, and exactly what we need to do in the midst of all this chaos.

49. Caroline

Thank you for this Marian. 💙

50. Jo

Perfect post! Thank you for all you do! Warmly, Jo

51. Molly

Thank you for this post. I needed it desperately.

52. Rachelle

……….. And then the peace of God will be with you.
    Sweet!

53. Kristi

One of my favorite verses. Thanks for the great reminder and allowing the Lord to use your words today.

54. Kim

Yes, one of the best verses in the Bible. I was thinking of all the beauty while cleaning up my garden, taking advantage of unseasonably warm days, and the gorgeous red-orange light that happened at sunset. When the big things are overwhelming, we must turn to the beauty and pleasure of the small things.

55. Kris

Love it. Also meditating on Psalm 1. And the fruit of the Spirit.

56. Cathy

Thank you. I needed to hear that!

57. Esther

Thanks for the uplifting post: I am so happy God shows us how to appreciate the small things in life that most people oversee. Yesterday in my break I noticed a rainbow on my vitrine salon table and I took my camera an made a photo of it; something I hardly do. It was a chaotic week and that was a moment of rest.

58. Beth

A beautiful meditation to begin the day. Thank you.

59. Holly

Thank you for the post and thank you for being a place I can go to dwell on the beautiful.

60. Jan Mott

Thank you for your post. God bless you.

61. Ande

I am currently facilitating a Bible study on this verse. There goes God again bringing things together ❤. Controlling it all. Showing Himself in everyday life.

62. Kristyn

This post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you!❤️

63. Toni

One of my favorite verses! That was my verse of the day last week in fact! Definitely the way to live…and not always easy to stay on that path. Thank you for the reminder…each day we need to revisit and focus on those beautiful things.