Tag Tutorial & Creative Eggs

by | Aug 24, 2010 | Running a Business | 73 comments

In preparing for Lucketts, I’ve been trying to make things that are interesting to display around my booth and sell.  I bought some papier mache eggs and thought I would experiment a little.  So, I tried decoupaging antique sheet music on a few…
…and painted a few in chalkboard paint.
They’re just a little different and fun.  We’ll see if they sell.
I had several questions about my tags, so I thought I would show how I make them.  These are super easy and I can make more any time I need them.
First of all, I am blessed to have a great friend and designer who designed the style and layout of these tags for me.  She fit nine on a page, so I can print them up by the sheet on card stock.
Using a paper cutter, I trim the tags into strips, so they’ll fit in a punch.
I then punch out the tags.  You can order punches like this on the Internet or find them in craft stores.
The pain-in-the-rear about this punch is that I have to use it upside-down, so I can see where I’m punching.  This is a pretty big design flaw in my opinion.
But the shape is awesome.
I use a standard hand-held hole punch, so I can tie the tag onto merchandise.
I use hemp twine purchased from Wal-Mart for $5.00.  It’s cheaper than ribbon and I like the natural texture.
I tie all of my tags on loops, so the tags can easily be turned over by customers.  There’s nothing more annoying than when you want to buy something, but you can’t see the price tag.  I try to make shopping (and buying) easy for my clients.
Tags make a big difference in how professional your “goods” look, so it’s worth putting a little time and money into.
I must confess to all of you that my house is a total mess.  It’s not only a mess, but it’s dirty and I can hardly take it anymore.  A few days ago, my three year old exclaimed, “I’m tired of the mess.”  I know he was simply quoting words I have huffed many times over the past couple of weeks.  Here’s photographic evidence.  Yes…those are van seats in my living room.
I’ve already warned my hubby that after Lucketts we’re washing slipcovers, cleaning out the toys, shampooing the carpets, and deep cleaning the entire house. I am really looking forward to the moment I can flop on a clean sofa and prop my feet up on a clean coffee table, with clean ceiling fans overhead and watch a clean TV set in a clean armoire. Sensing a theme, here?

1. Kristi

I like your eggs! Pottery Barn is selling chalkboard rocks for like $15! Crazy! just make 'em yourself lol
    -Kristi
    @ Creative Kristi

2. michelle

The eggs look great!! I love the music sheet ones, very creative!! I hear what you are saying about the mess, I am repainting my kitchen and not only is the kitchen a mess but the rest of the house has been neglected too!! It is really gross! Good luck, you are getting closer!!!

3. freckled laundry

I'm totally ripping off your sheet music eggs! Just saying. You are so darn clever.

And, thanks for showing how you made your little tags…

Jami

4. Olive Cooper

Can you imagine how much someone would charge for tags like yours? It scares me to think of it. olive♥

5. Allison

I like the music sheet eggs! Very clever. And, your tags are great! Nice design. I can relate to what you say about a mess……our kitchen and living room have been in a remodel phase for 5 months and we've been living out of boxes, crates and bags with stuff everywhere. That is so cute what your 3 year old said!

6. Becky C

Your tags are perfect! What a great friend you have:)
    The eggs are great, too.
    Blessings,
    Becky C

7. Tonia

Where can I get that punch? You tags look like you had them professionally done, I would have never known any different.

8. awal.ny

Boy do I understand. I am doing a flea market this weekend and my house is packed from the garage to the dinningroom and basement. I have been making things in the office, on the kitchen island. Painting in the garage, pricing in the shed. I can not wait until this weekend is over. I hope you also have a very sucessful weekend. My fortune is that I will NOT be doing this again so I am trying to make sure it is a good one. Best of luck to you. I will be thinking of you next Tuesday when I too am cleaning the house from stem to stern.

9. Stacy@The Project Shoppe

Eggs are adorable & thanks for sharing the tutorial on how you make your tags : ) My home is upside down right now as well, started doing an in-home boutique and we are preparing to move… Looks like you have been very productive! I am sure your sale is going to be fantastic and worth all of your hard work!

10. Pat

Thank you so much for sharing the info on your too cute tags! I love them!

11. Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door

Thank you so much for sharing about your tags! I've been admiring them and wondering how you did it!
    Thanks so much! Wishing you an awesome sale! You have such wonderful and adorable items!

12. Tales From My Empty Nest

I love both of your styles of eggs. So cute!! And thanks for showing how you do your tags. They look really nice! If it makes you feel any better, I have been living in mess all summer. We have been repainting our upstairs and have also ripped up old carpeting to get ready for new flooring. I can't find anything!!! I am praying that your sale at Luckett's is a total success. You have certainly worked hard getting ready nad you have some beautiful things to sell. Safe travels too. I wish I were able to come this time, but I have family obligations here. Can't wait to hear all about your weekend. Love & blessings from NC!

13. Toni

I soooo LOOOOve everything project that you do. I live in Alabama but I so wish I could come to your Shop. Toni

14. Tins and Treasures

Your tags are so sweet…I love them. Good luck with everything, then enjoy some relaxation! Have a terrific Tuesday evening. ~Natalie

15. Stephanie

Wow, you never cease to amaze me in your talents. I love your new tags, and you are right, presentation is everything. I hope you sell, sell, sell at Lucketts. You deserve a day off though, you should take at least one day off and enjoy your family and just relax before you start your deep cleaning. They deserve and so do you!

16. Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria

Hang in there girl…your doing an awesome job..I wish you to come home with an empty van…Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

17. Lori Lucas

You're line is sure to be the hit of the party. There is nothing you make that is not just absolutely fantastically lovely….including your tags! Lori L

18. summersundays-jw

I'm trying your tags. I've wanted to come up with a design for both my blog & shop so you just gave me the uumph to do it. I'm off to the stamp store tomorrow. Good luck this weekend. Jan

19. Funky Junk Interiors

Oh thankyouthankyouthankyou for showing your tags!! And for showing and talking about your dirty house! I feel normal again.

We have an overnight friend for my son and I warned the poor boy my house is a disaster. (this was after he opened my truck door and garbage literally fell onto their driveway) He was even able to enthusiastically enjoy my crate stairway through the doghair tumbleweeds. Kids rock. LOL

Donna

20. Honeycomb Creative Co.

You are just too talented for words! I do communications/graphic design for a living, so thanks for sharing the tag tutorial…it has definitely given me some inspiration! Great work as always!!

21. SueAnn

I guess you are cleaning soon? Ha!! Lovin' the tags!! They are just perfect!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

22. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

Love your tags, Marian! I have one of those punches except mine is a circle; I have had a problem though with it not punching all the way through the paper. {Maybe I'm not pushing down hard enough}. Love your eggs, too. I had picked up a package of those as well a few months ago to have on hand, but I only got as far as trying to spray white primer on them. I will be covering something else with strips of decorative paper and Mod Podge so I'll probably do the eggs then, too. Thanks for showing how they look with chalkboard paint ~ I like that idea!

23. Cheryl

I think you have some unique stuff to display and sell and I think folks will eat it up at the Luckett's fair.
    You are one generous gal for sharing with all of us how you make your tags. I have always admired them and have wanted to ask, but didn't.

24. Rie

I absolutely adore your tags. I especially love the little yellow dots running across. Sweet little design touch. Your friend is talented!

25. Our really empty nest

Lovve the tags, i will be making my own for my aprons! thanks for sharing! Sue

26. The Other Me Is Sane

I look forward to your new postings and you never disappoint!

Those tags are darling and you make it look so easy to do. I'm going to try to make my own, but there is a high chance of probability that they won't look so professional and cute as yours.

27. Lyss

Love the tags! What a simple way to make a great item.

28. Pieces of Dreams

Hi Miss M!

I love the music paper eggs…My vote is they will outsell the others. I've just completed some projects for my shop (shown in blog). As I said before, I wanted to try out some of your vintage sheet music designs on both the lamp shades and furniture. I actually stopped by to take another look at your tutorials. I tried it on a lamp shade and left it to dry overnight and am looking forward to what I find when I get there this morning.

Thank you, thank you for all your great ideas and tutorials. You are truly an inspiration!

Have a wonderful day, Karen

29. Bonnie@Creative Decorating

I totally understand about the mess! I have been painting and doing so much that things get stuffed here and there and then the house starts getting dirty! I need to stop and put everything away and then get started cleaning!!

Love the tags! I have to buy a punch and make some. I did sell my first piece of furniture yesterday!! But then I bought a sofa for more than what I made! However, I couldn't afford the sofa until I sold my furniture!!

Thanks again for all the inspiration!

30. Melissa

I love the music eggs! They look so awesome, old, yet not too old. I know what you mean about a dirty house, it seems sometimes that when you want to get a project done something else has to give. It's a bummer, but life. Hang in there! At least your hubby is being long suffering!

31. Micah

I absolutely love your tags. I just wish I could get to the Luckett's show!!! Your "line" is amazing. I told my husband the other night that if I could get to that sale we'd be SOOOO broke. LOL

32. fairyrocks

I think the 'Chicken' came first LOL
    Here's to a fun market!!!

the house work will keep

33. Tamra

Leave it to a three year old to let you know what you've been saying. Quick! Hand that kid a feather duster before he's old enough to figure out it's not "fun"!!

34. Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas

LOVE the eggs!! You are going to sell to the rafters I just know it!!

And as for the house? This too, shall pass….

Enjoy the ride!

Lou Cinda 🙂

35. Jeannine

Love the tags. I'm working on branding for my etsy shop and this is a great idea. Good luck with the Clean!

36. Cozy Little House

Well, thanks so much for sharing this info! You're a girl full of creativity and I always want to see what you're up to.
    Brenda

37. Petit Design Co.

thanks for the tutorial. I love your tags. I'm getting into selling vintage goods on my Etsy store and hadn't given any thought to a tag yet. I'll definitely be putting your tips to use. Do you have any more info on the punch? Brand? size of the tag? and maybe how much I can expect one of these to cost?

Thanks so much!
    Norma

38. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home

Thanks for sharing your tag secret. I have to laugh at the van seats – Miss Mustard Seed goes ghetto! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

39. - Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl

You have been working super hard. I hope all your efforts pay off at Luckett's. I wish we still lived in Philadelphia so I could swing by. But, we've moved pretty far south now.

I hope you make boo-cu bucks at the show so you can pay someone to clean for you while you prop your feet up ;-D.

Brittany

40. Lori Holt

Your tags are beautiful!
    I'm with you there on the punch…I wish I didn't have to turn mine upside down to use it.

I also made sheet music covered eggs this Easter as part of my spring decor…I also made some with vintage childrens book pages.
    I put them on my blog back when I did it if you have time…go check them out!
    (but I'm sure you probably don't)…because you are a busy busy girl getting ready for your show…which I know will be a huge hit!

I just found your blog a few weeks ago and I'm so glad I did:)
    xx
    Lori
    Bee in my Bonnet Co.

41. Karen@DignifiedRubbish

Ok first things first…you are by far an inspiration and one of the most creative people on the net…which says alot, because I read a lot and I mean a lot of blogs!!

But even more impressive, is how professional you are and how you run your business. You are so right that presentation is everything and these little tags are just one more way that you stand miles above the competition!

Thank you for doing what you do..
    Karen

42. Nutbird

I will never have a car I can't get a sofa in. When we buy my Tahoes, (I'm on the second one) we take the third row seats out and put them in the garage, then I forget that I ever had them. Has happened two or three times with our cars.
    I have some old Martha Stewart eggs boxes that I tried to fix up for Easter years ago. The music will be just the ticket. I make gift tags using the music. I fold them in half and glue a solid cream piece inside. I'll bet a sheet music mirror would look good.
    I have never seen the more sophisticated card punch that you have. I just round off the edges, I'm getting one like yours.
    Best of luck setting up at Lucketts! Please send us pictures of your booth, before you open. Who is your special guest? 52 Flea, or Eddie Ross? Ann

43. AntiqueChase

Love your tags and seeing how you made them! I have that punch!!

Funny that your 3 year old is tired of the mess!!

44. Pondside

You're so right about your tags – they say 'quality and style' and they'll set you apart.
    I hope we'll see lots of photos of your booth,

45. Simony

Thank you so much! I thought your tags are awesome! As I am getting ready for an art fair, I am scrambling around for something nice to attach to my work.
    You can't imagine how much you helped me today!
    Have a great time at your art fair, too! Good luck to us!

46. Erin

Thank you for showing the chaos, it helps us all to know that you aren't perfect, lol. I am soo happy that this time has finally come for you, you will ROCK!!! I like the eggs btw 🙂 Tags are a good indicator of what's to come!

47. Lindy

…like they say a McDonalds — you deserve a break today!!! Hope you get yours soon.
    L.

48. Erika

I have the same cut out for my tags and I agree with you about the design! Major flaw.
    Your tags are incredible, by the way.

49. Patricia Torres

Its my first time here… All the stuff is simply amazing.. I loved your blog.. Gosh!! You are such a bundle of talent!!

50. Sommer

Aside from the millions of adorable things you show off… I had to comment on this and tell you what a HUGE SMILE you put on my face by posting that picture of your living room! I have a special form of OCD I call, obsessive cleaning disorder. I am a wreck when things are out of place and when I see all the beautiful pictures of blogger homes I sometimes feel inferior about my own ability to create and keep a clean space. This just made my day! Thanks a bunch!

51. Pine Tree Road

I LOVE this idea for my bath and body products! thank you so much for sharing.

52. grammypame

hi love your tags can you share how to make the hemp "loops" you refer too when tieing your tags on items? Maybe direct me to a tutorial somewhere. Thanks ans love your blog and your stuff!
    thks
    Pam Allen

53. Joy

Just like the last commenter, I too was curious what kind of knot was used for the tags. After a google search, I found that it is a Lariat Loop and is a variation of the slip knot. You can see how to tie it here:

54. MommaHen

oh my goodness! I just Googled decoupaged eggs to get some ideas of ways to create fun Easter eggs. This link came up, I can't believe we both did music sheet paper eggs! I swear we are on the same creative wave link. It's kind of creepy!

55. C.

I smiled when I saw those van seats in your LR…that is the story of my life being a thrift enthusiast 😉 Oh how I dream of stow n' go seating. After browsing your pictures I have to say your LR and DR are just gorgeous. To be surrounded by vintage things (or vintage inspired things) would be like heaven for me. Love those little tags. Love your blog. It inspires me 🙂

56. Karen

Hi, Any chance you could write a tutorial on how to price your treasures? I slave over them so I think they are worth a fortune of course, but one needs to be realistic. Do you have any giudelines for this sort of thing? I would also like to know how one prices custom pieces. I turn away people because I just don't know. My life has changed now and I can't afford to turn away opportunity, Thanks so much! sorry for the novel. :0)

57. Jessica

Those eggs are pretty, but I'm in love with the wreath hanging on your mirror! That is so pretty!!

58. Ruth Shapior

Have you ever thought of using a die-cutting machine such as a Cricut to cut out your cards?(I didn't read all of the above comments, so excuse me if someone already suggested this!)

59. Shasta

Thanks for the wonderful tag tutorial. Any chance you know the brand of the punch you used?

The cluttered and dirty house is the story of a creative mind I'm afraid. Too busy being creative for housework. LOL Hoping to move soon so we can leave the dust behind for a little while.

Karen I have an article How to Price My Art or Craft Product at http://extravaganzacrafts.com/Blogs/?p=265.

60. ~chic~romance~

Love the tags! I saw a dresser last weekend at Chartruse that looked like your handy work. it was a creamy white and had a graphics fairy french image on the front. can you share how to enlarge and apply the images to furniture?

I look forward to your site! thanks for helping a girl with her dream and passion.

Tammy Toler
    Chic.Romance@yahoo.com

61. Dana Corriel

Absolutely beautiful tags! Plus, I love the way you made them so beautiful while saving money!! You are an inspiration.

62. Alison

I’ve been a fan of your blog for ages now. I just stumbled onto this post, however. Thank you so much! I’ve been struggling with tags for my items for my Etsy shop and those I take to a local consignment shop. I know what I’ll be working on the rest of the day! I’m off to Michael’s with my 40% coupon to purchase a tag punch.
    Thank you! Thank you!

63. Mary

Can you give more details about your tags? What program did she use? Is she for hire to create mine? Thanks!

64. anna

ma che bella la tag, potre sapere dove trovarne una da comperare? grazie anna

65. African Romantic

Thanks for the info re: tags! Can’t wait to try it and remember:
    Creative minds are seldom tidy….let the cleaning & organizing wait..!

66. Sara

i was wondering what kind of printer I need in order to print on cardstock and have it look professional?

67. Caron

I love the idea for the tags, they are very professional looking. I have the punch and am excited to make these. I was killing myself laughing about pics and thoughts on the mess in the house. That is my life too. Thanks for being transparent and honest it is encouraging to know that someone else knows the woes of sale prep. A tidy house means less product and less sales!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Egg-tastic Ideas for Egg Decorating – Art Tease - […] Courtesy of mms2.wpengine.com […]
  2. Egg-tastic Ideas for Egg Decorating | Art Tease Magazine - […] Courtesy of mms2.wpengine.com […]