I finished hanging the fabric in the sewing room late last week. I have enjoyed taking a more relaxed approach to projects…bouncing from one to the other, working on each in small pieces, but that did mean that it felt like I’ve been working on this sewing room for an eternity! I made a final push and hung the remaining panels, so I could be done with it!
A few panels in, there was a part of me that was a little nervous that the toile would be too dowdy and old fashioned, but that is not the case at all. It looks sharp against the bright white trim and picture frame molding and it’s just perfect for a sewing room. I have slowly started putting the room back together again and that included hanging this antique medicine cabinet above the sewing desk. I had a Chippendale-style mirror hanging there, but I wanted to test out a few other options. I tried a simple wood-framed arch-topped mirror, but it was too wide. I then remembered this medicine cabinet that’s been sitting on my bathroom floor for months. I intended to hang it over the toilet once we paint in there, but I tried it in this room and it’s perfect. The size, finish, and even the handles work nicely with the desk, like they were made for each other.
It’s also a nice place to have some storage for little things like spools of thread and extra feet for the sewing machine…
I topped it off with some pretty ribbon…
I might try to add another shelf or two, in order to make the most of the space inside.
I also took some time to straighten out the bolts of fabric and tie them with ribbons, twine, or fabric scraps.
The last bit of the wall that needs to be finished is behind the door. Plumbers had to cut a hole in the drywall to install a new fixture in the boy’s tub, so I had to do some patching. I finished it yesterday, installed the picture frame molding, and put a coat of primer on. It just needs a couple of coats of paint and then the walls are completely finished! Whew!
The next project on the list is to make a bed crown for the daybed. I have some dark blue linen to line the rest of the toile and I’ll make it to drape over the sides of the bed. I think it’ll make the daybed a real feature and focal point in the space.
I have also ordered plantation shutters for the windows. This room has needed wall coverings since we moved it, but since it’s just a sewing room and rarely-used guest room, it just wasn’t a priority. The shutters will add privacy, of course, but they will also match the other shutters installed in the front of the house (my office, master bathroom, and dining room), so the windows will all match from the outside. I also ordered a shutter for the huge window in the basement family room and I am so excited about getting rid of the last dark wood blinds in the house!
PS – You can find a tutorial for hanging fabric with starch HERE. I am working on a new tutorial and video, but it’s for a special project and won’t be available for a while.
You can find more posts on the sewing room makeover below…