I have been buying some furniture lately to sell at the Lucketts Spring Market, but I’ve found a couple of pieces that are keepers.  Now, when I keep something, especially a piece of furniture, then something else has to leave.  This keeps my inventory up and allows me to “trade up” for my home without becoming a hoarder.  Here’s the “keeper” vanity I bought last week in its new place…

DSC_9384 (424x640)

The vanity I used before is special to me, because it belonged to my grandmother, but it’s not really my style.  I have a lot of pieces that belonged to her that I really love, so I decided to let the vanity go.

DSC_6235 (640x424)

The new vanity has some issues…missing veneer and a missing knob, but I’m willing to work with those.

DSC_9382 (640x424)

…and the wood is just too beautiful to paint…at least for now.

DSC_9386 (424x640)

DSC_9388 (426x640)

MMS_Divider

I’m starting to make some progress on pieces in the basement and my family is coming tonight to help.

I’m at the “Oh crap! What have I done?” stage with this settee…

DSC_9390 (640x424)

…but I know it’s going to be beautiful once I piece it all back together again.  I painted the frame in a sloppy coat of MMSMP Grain Sack and have a few more steps to get this finish where I want it.

DSC_9396

And I stripped and stained some drawers that are now lined up, waiting to be finished…

DSC_9400 (424x640)

I have a row of pieces waiting to be repaired, refinished and painted (that’s where my family comes in…) and I also have a ton of shopping that needs to be done.

Here are some pieces I picked up last week to sell at the fair…

DSC_9406 (640x424)

DSC_9407 (640x424)

DSC_9410 (640x424)

DSC_9411 (640x424)

DSC_9412 (640x424)

DSC_9413 (424x640)

DSC_9415 (640x427)

DSC_9418 (424x640)

…and I’m also selling some wholesale pieces that fit with my style as “fillers”, like these zinc banners…

DSC_9378 (428x640)

…zinc prize ribbons…

DSC_9380 (424x640)

…and a lot more zinc – pinwheels, tags, mini banners, place cards, etc.  You can write on them with chalk, so they are really fun to decorate with.  I’ll also have twine, ribbon, and webbing…

DSC_9381 (424x640)

Things like these are fun for decorating the tents and filling bowls, crates, baskets, etc. more than anything.  I buy things I really like, so if I’m stuck with 20 spools of twine, that’s okay!  I’ll also sell the leftovers on my online shop once I have time to catch my breath.

Just 12 more days…

1. Kathryn

what?! I’m the first to leave a comment. That never happens. Anyway….nice selection for the market. Sometimes I lived closer to the east coast. Good luck MMS…..you are one busy gal and such an inspiration. Breathe!

• Kathryn

Ha! I guess that should include “I wish”

2. Elizabeth@ Blue Clear Sky

The new vanity is a lovely shapely piece and I love the wood colour too. Wishing you lots of success in finishing up your chores in prep for the sale. The zinc pieces and twines are really cool too.

3. Karen

I was wondering… how do you handle the peeling veneer?

4. AnnW

I need those zinc things. Really! See you Sunday. Ann

5. Traer Beaudette

Good luck with the settee! I can’t wait to see how it turns out! I was at the auction when it was up for sale, had my eye on it too 🙂 I am sure it will be very lovely! Just 12 more days and hoping the weather stays this fantastic!

6. Lynn Scheid

The vanity is stunning. I’ll be interested to see what you do about the missing veneer. I am always inspired by how much you get done!

7. cindy the cottage chick

I thought of you so much this past weekend…we were selling off all my mama’s pretty antique ironstone, crockery, and other unique antique pieces (she passed away of cancer in September). The ironstone didn’t sell, so I’m bringing it home with me. Maybe we priced it too high? Anyway, I wished I lived in PA (where many of the pieces came from!), and I’d pass them along to you 🙂

8. angela

looks good, are you going to get a “new” chair ?

9. Stephanie Blair

I just love seeing your furniture finds. That vanity and mirror are amazing! Please post if / when you tackle the veneer. 🙂

10. Sarah

Your pictures make me lean in and want to see more and really get into the piece(s)…”see, feel and touch it all”.

11. Cyndi@Blue Star Antiques

So I’m loving the new vanity, too! What beautiful bones! I know you’re stressed about Luckett’s, but it will all come together and be wonderful! Breathe!

12. Gail

I love that French vanity! The knobs are so pretty. 🙂 What will you do with the chipped veneer? Repair it, leave it, or take it off? I have an antique coffee table with chipped veneer and I can’t decide what to do. Let me know what you decide cause I’d love some ideas on how to handle mine. 😉

I love all the rest of your fair pieces too! Swoon!! You’re a busy lady, but it’s going to be so much fun! Hard work = big rewards, right? Keep it up!

Happy day,
    Gail

13. Melissa Linnenburger

Nice progress on my settee! 😉
    Guess I should start the trek from Colorado… Better rent the big u-haul truck!
    (I wish!)

14. martha garrett

Love the vanity, how do you repair the veneer??
    I wish I live closer to Pa. oh well someday.
    I’m going to Florida and we are driving back through Pa. at the
    end of the month. Any good antique places for wholesalers, I
    ‘want to get a few pieces the stoneware, and need some direction.
    Also, I’ll be near West Palm Beach, any good flea markets near that
    you gals can direct me.

Good luck at the fair I’m sure it will be great, your talent is super.

Martha

15. Maybee's Mom

I have several “Thunder Mugs” as you have pictured, They usually will have a lid with them to hide the odor…..funny. For Xmas one years I gave one to my children each filled with bathroom goodies…you can buy rolls of veneer to patch or repair, I have done it…It is not difficult,especially if you are keeping it…Good luck at the Spring Fair…Maybee’s MOM

16. Kathryn

a veneer repair tutorial. Pleez!

17. cindy

Soooo many interesting things going on! … I do know that “oh crap what have i done” stage, happens to me all the time with painting, smile…
    wonderful vanity!

Cindy

18. Jelena

Too bad I can’t be at the show! 🙁
    If I were there, I would snag that tureen and bowl.

… And yes, how do you handle chipping and/or peeling veneer?

19. Angie

I too want to know how to handle chipping veneer! 🙂

20. Julia

Like so many who have commented we all would love to see a tutorial to replace the veneer! I hope you can manage that is the short time you have. Good luck and so sorry I will miss it this year.

Julia

21. mary

You have to check out DL Stevens ribbon.Beautiful,wholesale.

22. Jan

Add one more person to the “what do you do with missing veneer” question.

I’m interested to see that you can sell soup tureens. I have a small booth at a flea market, and I tried to sell a pretty soup tureen very like yours. Nobody wanted it. Our flea market is becoming more and more “western,” and I generally don’t have “western” items to sell. Ah well, such is life!

23. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline

can’t wait to visit your booth! everything looks like it’s coming along! So nice that you have a supportive family to help you at crunch time.

24. Ann

Love your new “stash” of things. I was wondering if your tutorial for the range hood is available? I looked for it on HGTV’s site and yours but haven’t been able to find it. We are getting ready to tackle a similar project and would like to see how you constructed yours.
    Thanks for all the inspiration.

25. Scribbler

Your vanity is really a beauty, and I can see why you kept it. There is a place in Cullman, AL where they handle all manner of architectural salvage, and they have an enormous selection of antique drawer pulls, etc. You could probably send the a photo of the pieces your are trying to match, and it is quite possible they would have what you need.

26. Laurie @ House of 34

Love the vanity! I will interested in seeing how you fix the top. I don’t know how you do all that you do!

27. Amy Baldwin

Those zinc prize ribbons and banners! Oh my! I can’t wait to do some online shopping at your store after Luckett’s. I wish I lived closer to attend! 🙂

28. Elaine

I agree, the wood is beautiful as is on the vanity! leave it be!!!

29. jaclyn

what do you plan on doing with the chamber pots? I have seen several at stores and hesitated from buying because of the ick factor

30. Debbie

Any Canadians out there? Just an observation…. I live in Toronto, Ontario and find that the Goodwills, Value Villages, ReStores, Kijiji, Craigslists and consignment stores don’t very often have pieces like the ones MMS seems to easily find. Also, I have yet to come across ONE piece of ironstone.
    I’ve seen these things at expensive Antique stores and markets only.
    Am I missing something?? Any tips?

• Joan Wright

Hi Debbie, I am up in Meaford, Ontario, and I totally agree with you. I have found though that the trend here in Ontario has moved into consignment shops. We have one in particular called Design by Consign or Treasured Tails with believe it or not, is owned and operated by our local SPCA. Another great spot is the Beaver Valley Outreach Centre or Bible for Missions Reuse store. So sometimes, gems can be found outside of the norm but the best hunting, unfortunately, will always be in the US, since their population is enormous compared to us, and therefore, there is much more product available.
      Happy hunting! Hope this has been of some help!
      Joan

• Karen

Hi,

You might want to try Ebay for ironstone. Sometimes I can get pieces on there for good prices if I look regularly. Do you have estate sales in Canada? That is a good place for me. I am in Missouri in the US. I don’t find pieces here as easy as it seems Marian does, but I do get some good pieces at estate sales. Good Luck!! Karen

31. Elaine

Your wonderful way of letting go of pieces always makes an impression on me. I am one to hang on to things for so many reasons, even when they don’t fit the space, aren’t my style, or just because they are family pieces. I so love your philosophy and it keeps things fresh and blesses someone else’s life when you decide it’s time to let something go. It’s taught me to think differently and even though I’m not there yet I’m getting there!

32. Debbie

What is the best way to finish something that has veneer missing and have it still look nice enough to go into a home, please? Anyone may answer this – I know MMS will probably not have time. Many thanks

• Christie

I see so many people have this question and so do I! I actually have two pieces of furniture in my garage that I plan to just peel the veneer off of and work with the wood underneath because the veneer is too water damaged to try and salvage – even if I knew how. If you or anyone else figures this out or has had success with just using the wood underneath the veneer, please let me know. 🙂

33. Carol P.

So glad you are keeping the natural wood on this one. It is beautiful.

34. Hannah

I sure hope you do a tutorial on reupholstering the settee… I’m wanting to get one to do for my sitting room and I have no idea where to start! =) Can’t wait to see how yours turns out!

35. Regina Dee

The vanity is beautiful, but the french cane chair is fabulous. If you ever feel the need to part with it (which I highly doubt), I know someone (ok, me) who would give it a very loving home. Everything you do is so inspirational and beautiful, it energizes me to roll up my sleeves and get crackin’.

36. Robin Seefahrt

My vanity is an old work table that sat in my other house’s basement since the 40’s. It is a great dark blue with a drawer and had old linoleum stuck on top. I took it outside and peeled off the linoleum and scrubbed off the glue, dirt and hosed it down. I put a black stenciled mirror on top with a glove box that I had and a tag sale wood folding chair underneath. I have various old baskets, train cases, and vessels for storage on top and under. Certainly not old Hollywood or glam at all but it works for me in a tight space.

Regards, Robin