miss mustard seed wrapping paper

by | Dec 9, 2021 | design, Winter | 46 comments

Launching Miss Mustard Seed wrapping paper all started with some lino block cutting during the Thanksgiving break.  I created a pattern I really loved and others loved, too, so I decided it was time to stop putting “make patterns for paper and fabric” on my to-do list and actually do it.  Not just doodle and fiddle, but make it digital, upload it, and sell it.

lino printed wrapping paper | miss mustard seed

This wrapping paper journey actually started over six years ago when I met with the then-owner of a quilting fabric company about creating a line.  I had never done patterns before, but I felt like it was in me.  I could see it in my head and I just needed to learn how to get that into a format I could communicate with others.  I developed two lines and the whole experience ended up being a dud.  I mean, I learned a ton and worked with some wonderful people.  In that sense, nothing is ever a dud.  It all contributes to my growth and story.  But my first line had just launched and my second line was about to launch when the fabric company closed.  Several years of work resulted in almost no income and it felt like a professional failure.

I wrote all about that closed door in a blog post HERE.  My excitement was genuine about taking what I learned and reworking it to launch fabrics and papers in the home decor world, which was much more my wheelhouse, but it still stung.  Disappointment is disappointment and I did have to take some time to dust myself off before I was ready to hop on the pattern-design horse again.  I would play with it now and then, but there was always something to do that felt more productive and worthy of my efforts.  It was also an uphill battle to work against that critical voice that said you’ve tried this and it was a waste of time.

lino printed wrapping paper | miss mustard seed

But over Thanksgiving break, as I was pressing the lino block I carved into linen fabric and wrapping paper, I knew I had to turn it into a sellable pattern.  Not next year or soon or later, but now.  I needed to harness that momentum and go for it.  So, that’s what I did.  Not only did I put that pattern into digital form that could be reproduced, but I pulled out a pattern that I loved, but was never made.  I put them in coordinating colors in two colorways, uploaded them to Society6, and bought a set of each.

miss mustard seed fabric & paper designs

I was so excited about it that I also ordered fabric and wallpaper samples from Spoonflower.

My wrapping paper order arrived yesterday and I felt emotional as I pulled them out of the tubes and lined them up.  This is what I wanted pattern designing to feel like.  I am so proud of these patterns and, while there is a lot of room for growth in this creative endeavor, I am delighted with this first printing.  I love the colors, the scale, and how the patterns play together.

miss mustard seed wrapping paper designs | miss mustard seed

I was so excited that I had to wrap up some cracker boxes and take pictures!

Here is the blue wrapping paper colorway…

Partridge in a Pear Tree Blue | German Drapery Stripe Blue

miss mustard seed wrapping paper designs | miss mustard seed

salt dough gingerbread ornament tutorial

miss mustard seed wrapping paper designs | miss mustard seed

A tutorial for this embroidered felt bird is coming!

…and the green wrapping paper colorway…

Partridge in a Pear Tree Green | German Drapery Stripe Green

miss mustard seed wrapping paper designs | miss mustard seed

And I am absolutely thrilled with the quality of the paper and how the colors printed.

miss mustard seed wrapping paper designs | miss mustard seed

The paper is thick and even has a grid on the back, which I always like in wrapping paper.

miss mustard seed wrapping paper designs | miss mustard seed

All of the ribbons are from Hobby Lobby and coordinate perfectly!  I will hunt for more ribbons that work well to give lots of options for those who purchase this paper.

miss mustard seed wrapping paper designs | miss mustard seed

As I said, I have wallpaper and fabric samples on the way and I already have more designs in the works.

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and encouraging through the process of creating this wrapping paper.  It means more to me than you will ever know.

1. Mary Besse

Absolutely beautiful! Have already placed my order- – can’t wait to see it in person. 🌸🌹🌺

2. Sandy Sandberg

Beautiful! Now I need to go to Hobby Lobby and find that ribbon! Just love it!

3. Lola

This is simply stunning!! I love the blue partrige paper! You should be proud as it really is beautiful artistry!

• Elena MacDermant

I am so glad you did this. I love these prints. I will definately order some rolls. Would love to be able to buy the fabric.

• Joelle

So lovely! I would love to see these in a dark red and mustard seed yellow! Perhaps even some of the Miss Mustard Seed paint colors!!!

4. amy Mogish

absolutely beautiful. congrats.

5. Faerie Pabich

These are gorgeous, and your creative genius shines again! You rock, Miss Marian. So happy for you!

• Sandy

Beautiful! Kudos for following your creative instincts! If you add more colors, I’d love to the partridge in the tree in a burgundy background. I’m betting your wallpaper line will be a big hit, too! ❤️

• Irene Kelly

Oh my Marian you never cease to amaze me. I will place an order for your wrapping paper but sure wish it was fabric. Yes now I remember your fabric project but please don’t stop continue on you have lots of talent.

6. Julie Ritter

Wow Marian they are lovely !! I just love the hues. The package wrapped in green with the striped ribbon PERFECTION. You inspire me to follow my dreams

7. sandi m

These turned out beautiful! The Partridge tree is my favorite.
    While I know that greens and blues are your “signature” colors, these would be awesome in additional colourways, e.g., cherry, grey, taupe, charcoal. Just thinking of more sale$ opportunities.
    These would also look great in Chasing Paper removable wallpaper.
    I see a new line in your future! Keep going… 🙂

• Sharo

I have always been into greens and your green on this are lovely! I’m already thinking of how to incorporate a fabric version of the tree into my dining room!

8. Elizabeth Walby

It’s so beautiful Marian!!! I love it! Congrats beautiful designs. 💗💗💗

9. Nancy Cox

OM goodness. It is beautiful. Can’t wait to order the green in both.

10. Sandy

11. Sharon

Wallpaper would work wonderful with these patterns!!!

12. Jo Ann Bohannon

They are beautiful. What’s neat is I think we might could get away with it year round, especially the stripe. What do you think?

13. Ruth A

These are beautiful!!

14. Sue

Everything you do is so amazing and I am glad you didn’t let one project (that you saw as a failure) keep you from trying this one.

15. Elizabeth

Hi Marian; Love the wrapping paper. As a knitter, I couldn’t help noticing the mittens! Love them! Did you knit them?

16. Beverlee Lyons

I am so proud of you and for you. I know this will be very successful, and I am happy.

17. Cheryl

How exciting yo open the box and see your very own wrapping paper you designed.
    They are truly beautiful and unique!
    Looking forward to the fabric and wall paper.

18. Debbie Zinser

As usual, it is beautiful and in colors everyone loves! How about peel and stick wallpaper?

19. Leone

You are so wise to follow through even after what seemed like a failed attempt before. Hopefully, Spoonflower will have the blue Partridge in a Pear Tree fabric and we will be able to purchase it. Would be grand in white on blue and reverse. Their fabric is so worth the price. Congratulations on your line. I have enjoyed every blog you have done this year. It is so helpful to know where to get the products and how to use them with tutorials. Thank you for spending the time to teach us.

20. Jean Elliott

Did you cut the edges of the ribbon to get the frayed look? I’m going to order some paper!!

21. Roberta Cordell

I love the colors and the patterns are beautiful!

22. Theresa

Way to go, Marian! Where do you find the time?! These are so amazing and just beautiful! I ordered some (I confess I’m usually the one that waits for the after Christmas sales to get cheap wrapping paper!) and can’t wait to see it in person.
    You’re super talented and inspiring!

23. Patricia Kasparian

These are all beautiful. I just ordered two patterns from Society 6. Thank you for the Christmas inspiration these last few weeks!

24. Sheri

Congrats on pursuing your ambition! Like the saying goes “If not now, when?” 🙂

25. Geri

Marion, already ordered paper and it should be here soon. Can’t wait it’s so Beautiful.

26. Judeth

Those are amazing. I love the green, that is my favorite color. You are truly talented and gifted.

27. Gayle Stewart

I love your new wrapping paper, especially the white on blue partridge in the pear tree. But I wasn’t sure how to order it. Would you pass on that information, please. Thanks!

28. Tallulah

So stunning that I made an order!

29. Pat Mays

Absolutely love love! Soon I will treat myself to these!

30. chris

You are so amazingly talented. What a gift you have.

31. Lisa P

These patterns and colours are wonderful! Must be so satisfying to see them as finished products. i too would love to see them as fabrics—for drapes or pillows maybe?
    Congratulations on this new venture!

32. Cynthia

I often save your posts to read at the end of the day and may I just say WoW! Your papers are so beautiful, Marian.

You make it look effortless even though I know it was a learning process getting here.

I am filled with gratitude that you share so freely with us~

Thank you!

33. Jennifer

Your endless creativity boggles my mind. But not only that it’s your willingness to try and fail and try again that I am in awe of. I love your paper and hope to order some before it sells out. So much of what you do speaks to me and I am so grateful for the constant inspiration. Thank you!

34. Lynnett Ratchford

I especially love the blue and white German drapery fabric design as it reminds me of a blue and white wallpaper my mother used once in her Wisconsin kitchen. Thank you for sharing your struggles as well as your successes as we all need to hear those stories and be encouraged to press on. Congratulations!

35. Ronda J Foreman

I ordered the day you posted this and my paper arrived this morning! Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for all you do.

• Marian Parsons

Oh, thank you!!

36. Kris B

In many of your photo shots there are those darling brass bells….can you tell us where you have gotten them? Thanks –

• Marian Parsons

I bought them from JSH Home Essentials (Jenny Steffens Hobick.) I believe you can find them on Etsy, too.