Remember my design breakthrough in the master bedroom that I shared a few weeks ago? Well, I’ve been moving forward…little steps to make the plan happen. And it feels good. It’s a room that’s had me stuck for a while and I’m glad to have a clear direction that I’m excited about. It’s definitely been a lesson in patience and playing.
Since I shared that plan, I ordered a few more yards of the Aviary Toile fabric (by French General) in order to make the bed crown. I also ordered some pleater tape to pleat the checked fabric and give it a nice, finished look. Now, I need to get some specific measurements to draw out a plan for cutting and sewing the fabric before attaching it to a plywood piece cut into a half-oval shape. The plywood will then be mounted to the ceiling. I also need to figure out how I want to do the tiebacks. I have all of the materials to make it happen, though, and now it’s just a matter of putting together a plan and making it happen. I can’t wait to see it finished.
I also ordered some fabric samples to use as accents – pillows, a slipcover for a side chair, etc. I ordered a bunch of samples from Fabrics Store, the place where I’ve been ordering linen for slipcovers. For reference, the large piece of fabric on the bottom is “Natural” and the smaller one in the top left of the photo is “Mixed Natural”, which is a little lighter and has more variation in the threads.
I gravitated towards Reed for the master bedroom. It’ll be a great accent for piping, pillows, etc…
I’m also planning to splurge on 2 yards of this beautiful French-style fabric from Lisa Fine Textiles to make Euro Shams for the bed. I think it’ll add a nice contrast to the other fabrics. The board underneath is painted in Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint Aviary.
The small square of neutral linen above is the Mixed Natural linen I purchased for the chaise slipcover. I started making the piping and cutting pieces for the slipcover last weekend in order to get that project going. Believe it or not, slipcovers and upholstery are not my favorites to work on, so I always have to give myself a pep talk to start and finish. I love the results, so that usually prods me along.
Last weekend, I also finally addressed this wall. We hung an antique pair of shutters behind the melodeon case and arranged ironstone platters on either side. The wall is now filled so nicely now, but it still allows airflow for the vent and a practical traffic path through the room. I tucked an ottoman found at an antique store a couple of years ago under the melodeon and just finished a simple slipcover for that, too.
When I placed the order for the Reed linen fabric, I also ordered 10 yards of Cobalt for the sewing room…
…and a couple of yards of Vineyard Green, which is a perfect match for MMS Milk Paint Boxwood. I don’t have any specific plans for it, yet, but I thought it would be nice to have in my stash. I could use it to cover a desk chair in my studio or to make some accent pillows for just about any room in the house! It’s also a great “Christmas green” for napkins, tea towels, etc. to use during the holidays.
As I said, I need extra motivation to get going on sewing projects and having beautiful fabrics in my stash can be just the inspiration I need…