I was in a real funk on Saturday. I think it had a lot to do with the dreary weather. It was gray and our daily walk was shortened by a cool wind and a spittle of rain. (Jeff’s second walk with Sebastian was shortened by a downpour laced with hail!) The weather was just not conducive to a cheery day. On top of that, I was just feeling down. I wasn’t focusing on gratitude.
I did something I rarely do and just sat on the sofa and watched a movie on my iPad, tuning everyone else out with headphones. I reconciled my bank accounts because it was something that needed to be done anyway. And Jeff gave me precious time alone in my studio to listen to music and make color charts.
It was just what I needed. I focused on mixing colors and applying them to a grid of taped-off one-inch squares.
Sunday morning was just as gray as Saturday and I could feel the tug of self-pity pulling on me again. Nope. Not today. Today, I am going to set myself to something productive. I’m not going to sit and read too many news articles informing me about all of the things I should be afraid of. I made breakfast for Jeff and the boys and we played a few hands of Phase 10 (a card game for those who aren’t familiar with it.) We laughed together and already the day was off to a more promising start.
I went upstairs, put on my “standards” playlist, and started to work on our master bedroom, prodded along by Ella and Frank. If you were watching me, it didn’t look like I was doing much of anything. I would sit on the chase and stare. I would quickly get up and walk into the sewing room to get a bolt of fabric. I’d spread it on the floor of the master bedroom, fold it over bed pillows, or lean it up against the curtains.
Finally, I started looking visibly productive. I made the bed and scooted furniture. I took pictures off the wall and rearranged accessories. And then I started refining…removing things from the room, pinning fabric up on the wall behind the bed, and making a mental list of the things I needed to make or purchase.
I ended up with a pretty clear vision for the space, which has eluded me for the better part of two years. The interesting thing is that I have most of the pieces and materials to carry out the plan, I just didn’t know it! I hadn’t taken the unhurried time to play around, explore, and discover. I had never even pulled out two huge bolts of pale blue and white checked fabric to see how they would work in the room and they work great!
So, this is where I landed…
I moved the melodeon to the wall between the closet and bathroom. This is a tricky wall to furnish because it’s a traffic path and there is a large vent that needs to remain unobstructed. It needs a narrow piece of furniture with an open base and, for a while now, I’ve been considering trying the melodeon there.
I have a large pair of shutters I want to try to hang behind it to give it more visual height and interest and I tucked a footstool under to hide the outlet and vent a little better.
I pinned up the Aviary Toile and small blue checked fabric behind the bed to get a visual idea of how a bed crown would look. I’ve talked about this idea and pondered it for a long time, but I just couldn’t envision it. With the fabric pinned up, even crudely, I could see that it would look great! The toile will be on the back, against the wall, and the check will be draped in front and around the bed. It’s a little hard to explain (as I learned when I tried to inform Jeff of my plans), but I can see it in my head and it’s going to look amazing.
I’m also going to look for and purchase a pair of mirrors to put on either side of the bed. They will fill the space better and reflect light. I have a pair picked out that are reasonably-priced, but I’m going to wait to order them until the Stay at Home order is lifted.
I’m also going to rework the bedding a bit, adding more color and pattern to the pillows and maybe even making a custom duvet cover.
I moved the French cane chair next to the wardrobe. The seat needs to be repaired and I’ll make a new cover for the cushion. I also pulled a couple of antique baby dresses from the closet. I’d like to hang them in the room as art.
And, I decided I’m going to make a neutral linen slipcover for the chase. I like the ticking, but it doesn’t work as well with the pale blue check. The great thing about a slipcover is that I can always take it off if I want to show the ticking again.
Since I moved the melodeon, the space under the windows is open. I would like to find something low to put in front of the windows…perhaps a trunk, a Swedish-style bench, or a small daybed. I’ll just keep my eyes open for something that will work.
I was in the room for a few hours and it felt so good to have a direction and a plan to polish off the room. I think it’s going to end up looking so pretty. Here are the things on my to-do list…
- Make the bed crown
- Make a slipcover for the chase
- Hang the shutters (or at least try them there)
- Buy a pair of mirrors
- Look for new (old) dressers to use as nightstands (the drawers in Jeff’s nightstand don’t work very well.)
- Add picture frame molding and chair rail
- Sew a few pillow covers for the bed and chase (possibly a duvet cover, too)
A few other things I’m thinking of doing –
- Paint a pair of portraits to hang
- Keep an eye out for a rug that might add some pattern and color over the beige carpet
It’s going to take a while for me to get all of these projects done, but I like having a vision for the room and I can’t wait to start carrying it out…