Give it to the crazy lady next door…

by | Mar 15, 2010 | Miscellaneus | 45 comments

In case you missed it, make sure you check out my “old” entry for the SYTYCD competition and, if you have not voted for your favorites, do it before Friday.
The crazy lady referenced in the title is me, but I’ll get to that in a minute.  First, I wanted to show you the new arrangement above my dresser.  I’ve been working on my master bedroom for quite a while and I’m still chipping away at it.
This is the arrangement I decided on for the time being.  I’m sure it’s going to change again, but I like it for now.  I’ve got to find something better than pinecones to fill those hurricanes…still looking.
I ran into my neighbors at a thrift store and they asked if I wanted a rusty bed.  How could I refuse that?  It occurred to me later that some kind of conversation must’ve taken place about the fate of the rusty bed and it was suggested that they should see if the crazy girl who lives next door would want it.  “After all, she bought half the junk we had at our yard sale last summer…”

Well, I think it’s cool and it’s worth the raised eyebrow from my hubby and the neighbors knowing that I’ll accept any promising freebie.  Maybe the neighbors on the other side still think I’m normal…

Miss Mustard Seed

1. Jane

Hi Crazy Lady…
    I, for one, cannot wait to see the transformation of that rusty bed into a one-of-a-kind treasure!
    Love the arrangement above your dresser. I have several ironstone platters sitting on the floor of my dining room right now waiting to be hung in a similar fashion around my mirror (I just need to plate holders).
    I've enjoyed your projects on SYTYCD.
    Jane

2. vintage girl at heart

From one crazy lady to another…. I would have snapped that bed off of a junkpile lickity split!!!
    What wonderful neighbors you have!!
    Love your lil vignette in your BR too. I have so many platters and plates I'd love to hang but have not found anything heavy enough to hang them with.
    blessings~

3. vintage girl at heart

>>>> I had a rusty bed like that too and after pricing sandblasting I finally went to a tractor trailer garage and had it sandblasted and powder coated for a fraction of the cost that others wanted!!

4. Love the Decor!

What will your creative mind do with it? 🙂
    Stop over and enter My give away when you get time if you have not already

5. Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal

Well it's super rusty! But I have faith that you will turn it into something wonderful. And little bit crazy can be a good thing sometimes. Love the little mint julep cups on the dresser!
    ~anita

6. Staci at Craftify It !

can't WAIT to see what you do with that bed!

Maybe decorative balls or strands of pearls in the hurricanes??

A birds nest that sits at the top might be fun too?? Tie in that picture on the wall!?

7. Janean

lovely arrangement, but that rusty bed….oooooooooooh be still my heart!!! (you're not crazy. you can see the potential!) *wink*

8. Teri

You're not crazy! You're brilliant! 🙂

9. Anna

I'm sure you can do something to transform that rusty bed, looking forward to seeing what you do!

10. Nancy @ Live love laugh

We have a curbside treasure sitting in our garage right now-A brass head- and footboard for a dbl. bed-which we do not have…I couldn't just leave it there! Still pondering …I also have platters and plates sitting on the floor of my painted-in-the-summer room waiting to get around the mirror above my dresser…
    ~Nancy

11. alice

Fantastic find for "the crazy girl"!
    looking forward to seeing the end results.
    smiles, alice

12. Terri

That bed is a diamond in the rough! I'll stay tuned to see how you transform it. What about some shells and small starfish or sand dollars instead of pine cones? That's what I use in my apothecary jars in the warm weather. Makes me smile with warm beach memories everytime I look at them.

13. The Little Red Shop

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I have one that came with the bungalow we moved. It's not quite that rusty…but it is missing a bar.

Happy Tuesday!

: )

Julie M.

14. Sandy

Ha ha, That's pretty funny!!

15. TheVirginiaHouse

Looking great! Maybe some pretty eggs in the urns?

That bed looks like a gold mine-I will stay tuned to see the results…

16. Morning T

Too funny and your dresser looks amazing!

17. Marianne@Songbird

Hmm, your neighbours mistaking you for normal, I wouldn't count on it.
    But I think this is a wonderful kind of crazy and I would love for someone offering me a bed like that.

18. SueAnn

Heck! I would take it too! You know, anyone can be "normal"; but to be "creative", "artistic", and a "free spirit". Now that is living!! Onward to us "crazies"!! Give us your rusted junk and we will make treasures.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

19. Ginger@cottageonrosewood

I say all the time, I wonder what the neighbors think. I am constantly bringing in furniture, bringing it out, on the front porch, into the house, out again. Oh well, I'm having fun!

20. Red Door Home

Looks like you a new project! How much fun. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the bed.

21. Olivia and Me

Too funny… but then again, that looks like a making for a vintage bench coming your way!!! I can't wait to see the outcome.

with love and slightly green for getting this fabo find..

Olivia

22. Tonya

I love that you have neighbours who thought of you like that. They have surely seen the beautiful things you have created out of "junk". Love the dresser too. x Tonya in England.

23. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style

I love your arrangement on and over your dresser. I can't wait to see what you do with that rusty bed.

24. Six in One Hand

I can TOTALLY relate. My in-laws refer to me as Sanford…as in Sanford and Son…HA!
    They are always asking me if I want freebies so you're not crazy…just insightful!

25. Victoria

I can't wait to see what happens when a "crazy lady" and a rusty bed frame meet! I don't think I have enough vision to take something like that on! I love your lamps by the way:)

26. Tammy@InStitches

They'll think you're a genius when they see what you do with it !

27. Paddywack Designs

That's fantastic. I really like the bird print in the center… as for the bed, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

28. Kim

Ha! I can so relate Marian! How funny. Love what you've done in the master. I'm trying to configure some dishes in my sitting room. Just waiting to find the perfect ones. Maybe a neighbor will give me some 😉
    xoxo,
    Kim

29. Jenny

I can't wait to see what you do with the rusty bed as I have my own rusty find sitting in the back of my minivan. A rusty gate that I found in the trash of a house that we were looking at! It has some really neat details on it, and I know I can do something neat with it. My family thinks I've lost it, but I'll show them!

30. Tonia

Sounds like a lady after my own heart. People call me to pick up their so called junk all the time. I'm sure you have something wonderful planned even before you saw it.

31. Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas

Crazy Lady! Crazy like a fox that is! I know you will turn that into something I will YEARN for!!
    I am sure they know it too!

I voted for you yesterday! Can I vote more than once?? I will if I can!!

Have a great day girl!!

Lou Cinda 🙂

OH! Love the arrangement on the dresser and above it! Beautiful!

32. Taija

I love it!! The rusty bed is totally cool, can't wait to see what you do with it! I'm laughing a little because my neighbor always brings me her donation junk before she hauls it off too. Gotta love neighbors who love us the way we are!

33. Kerin

Love the pine cones… something a bit un-expected and earthy.
    Love the rusty bed frame too!
    Have a great day.

34. Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D

Rofl! Besides liking old dusty and rusty things…I enjoy taking pictures next to large fiberglass objects – like giant Peaches!

So, my friends see things along the road and I get an e-mail, "We know you'll just LOVE this!"

They think I'm nuts. I'm okay with that. 😉

35. Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky)

Hello from another crazy lady. My neighbours just dropped off two dressers. They figured if I don't use them I know someone who will!

36. Patty Hibble

Many years ago, my crazy mother made a midnight acquisition of two rusty hospital beds (though not NEARLY as rusty as yours). She never did anything with them, so she offered them to me. Based on the label on them, we found out they were made by a northern company to supply the US military for hospital beds during WWII. I loved redoing them, and hope you enjoy yours, too.

37. Bird

Crazy? maybe. Creative? Most definetely!!! 🙂 Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Love,
    Bird

will vote right now! Good luck!

38. { L }

This whole set up you did is awesome! BUT BUT…my favorite things are those lamps! WOW. I want them. :-/

Also, I have a vote question for you too, lol.

I'm trying to win a party contest and would love your help! Would you go here:

and leave a comment at the end of the article? Your comment will give me a vote. Thanks so much! I appreciate it lots. <3

39. Cece Lively

I have the SAME EXACT bed! I sanded off all the rust and painted it heirloom white for my bedroom! It is totally do-able and you will make it look fabulous!

40. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle

Hi, stopping by for the first time. I love the arrangement. When things are styled well, it makes all the difference.