Furniture Stripping Tutorial Table Reveal!

by | Oct 5, 2009 | Before and Afters, Furniture Makeovers, Hand Painted Furniture | 39 comments

Does anyone remember this table? Does it look a little familiar? Well, how about this one? This was the table featured in my furniture stripping tutorial. Doesn’t it look great? I loved the shape of this table, but the finish…not so much. So, I stripped the thousands of layers of paint off the top, stained it with Min Wax’s Dark Walnut, and two coats of rub on poly. To the base I sanded, primed, and painted it in two coats of Sherwin Williams’ Frost White in a semi-gloss. I finished with a glaze of the Dark Walnut to highlight the details in the piece and take the “newness” off of the white.

I love how the stain finds all of the little nooks and crannies.

And this is the fall arrangement in my foyer. I’ve used some of the pumpkins I found at a yard sale this Saturday and the ceramic thrift store birds.

DIY Day @ ASPTL

1. Jenn

I was just reading that tutorial this morning and wondering when the end product would be revealed! It looks amazing!

2. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

That. Looks. Great! I am loving that Walnut stain. I've seen it a couple of places {blogs} now and I really love it with the white painted on the base. What a great idea to use it on top of the white, too. It really turned out nice!

3. Debra @ Common Ground

Wow, this looks like a magazine photo, and even though I like the before, with your blue and white woodwork the walnut and white work so much better.
    OK, I'm not professional, so I didn't know about a rub-on polyurethane. Could you tell us the brand and then how you mixed the glaze for the aftercoat on the base? You do such a wonderful job, and I have some things that need tackling. Oh, and the pumpkins look perfect in that setting!
    Thanks, Debra

4. Sandy Michelle

GREAT job! It must have been a pain to strip through all those layers!

Sandy xo

5. Sue

You did a really nice job on this console table! I love how you mixed the finishes and antiqued the nooks and crannies. It made for a very lovely piece for your foyer.
    Thanks visiting my post today and for leaving a nice comment. Hope you'll be back again sometime.
    🙂 Sue

6. Christina

The table turned about wonderful!

7. Nezzy

A masterpiece! You did a great job, it could not have been a breeze to do.

Thanks for poppin by and leaving a sweet comment! Have a blessed day!!!

8. Melanie

I love how it turned out. The legs are stunning.

9. Cozy Little House

It looks so beautiful now! And so magazine page perfect with your pretty things on top.
    Brenda

10. Audra

Fabulous! I am sure it was rough getting through the layers, but what an amazing redux! I am inspired! Love your blog.

ttfn…

11. Jennifer Juniper

The glaze really emphasizes the crannies – love it 🙂

12. Brittany at Mommy Words

This looks absolutely fabulous! I am going back to read the stripping tutorial now!

13. The DIY Show Off

It's beautiful. Two of my favorite finishes…dark walnut stain and distressed beautiful creamy white. Great job! 🙂

Roeshel

14. Beth@The Stories of A to Z

It is beautiful! I love the contrast of the dark wood on top with the white on bottom. I just did the same to my coffee table.

15. Jen

Thanks for the comment on my monogrammed oval frames. Your table is TDF! I've been on the look out for accent tables and two small tables for my master bedroom and now I'll know where to come for tips on repainting them!

16. Mandy

gorgeous, as usual!

17. Anna See

This looks great! I may try the walnut stain on my table leaf. Love it!

18. Connie

Love this table redo, especially the glaze you did on the bottom. It made such a rich finish, so nice.

19. Blue Creek Home

I am lovin' that table makeover. It is beautiful.
    I like the sound of Furniture Feature Friday. I will be there!
    Your comment about my guest room being "magazine worthy" made my day! Thanks.
    Rhonda

20. {Bellamere Cottage}

You took a boring little piece and changed it into a stunner! Great job. Love the dark top too.

Blessings,
    Spencer

21. The Crazy Suburban Mom

I've never bought used furniture because I don't have an confidence to do this kind of thing and just don't know how…even one says its so easy but oh my. This is beyond lovely.

Bravo

22. Dusa

Echoing the lurve for the Miniwax Dark Walnut stain – long may s/he stain! And every time I see the birdies, I covet them!

23. Karli @ RockyBella

Wow, you did a great job! I have been wanting to do this same thing to my plain oak dining table. After seeing yours my butt has been kicked into gear! Thanks for the inspiration, when I finish (i need to start it first) I will post it with your table as my inspiration! Thanks!

24. Miss Mustard Seed

Debra,
    I've had several questions about my staining process, so I will do a tutorial very soon. Thanks for asking. (I was going to do it, but I thought it might be a yawner!)

25. Room to Inspire

Oh, true love! It is beautiful – I want one…I love the colors you selected and the shape of the table is fabulous.

Chelsea

26. The Shades of Pink

Wow, I love that table.

Thanks for joining my linky party, I hope to see you there again!

27. Katherine @ Grass Stains

I'm officially in love! It's amazing what a few hours of elbow grease will do. The original table was attractive, but the final version is STUNNING! Way to go!

28. stefanie

what a difference, beautiful!

29. Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic

I really love this piece. I have a dining room table, chair, china hutch set and I'm secretly thinking I want to do this (dark top, white legs and chairs). But I'm not sure… it's a hand me down from my departed mother and I fear she'll haunt me 😉 We shall see but this is so pretty. I love it.

30. Clair

Looks great! Wouldn’t it have been easier to use an electric sander to remove the paint from the top? Jusr curious… i’m fairly new to this game!

Check out my blog at woodpaintcreate.com

Thanks MMS!