Oh, I have so much to share, I’m about to burst!!  We had the glitter letter workshop today, I have an exciting event with The Graphics Fairy coming up, I have been using every spare minute to make Christmas ornaments and decor to sell, and I scored some awesome furniture on Thursday.  I’ll share it all soon, but tonight, I’m tired, so I’m just going to show my dresser makeover and the two new signs I made for the shop.
Do you remember this dresser?  I bought it at a yard sale a few weeks ago.  It was in great structural condition and someone had even sanded it down for me!  That might be a minus for some people, but it was a huge plus for me.
I painted it with a brush (the old fashioned way), sanded it heavily, and followed it with a rub of dark walnut stain. I waxed the top with Johnson’s Paste Wax to seal and protect it. Glass knobs add a little sparkle and balance out the “shabbiness” of the piece.  (By the way, the color is Stolen Kiss by Sherwin Williams.)

I also painted two new signs.  One with a sheep on it, advertising “Spun Wool” and…
…I made a second Pig Powder sign, since the first one sold so quickly at Lucketts.

I can’t wait to share everything else with you, but I’ve got to get back to work on my ornaments!
Just a reminder, please vote today for my entry in the True Value SOS Contest.  You can vote once a day. It will take you about five seconds and it will be so huge for me to win!
Click HERE to vote now!
Thanks a bunch.
Miss Mustard Seed

1. mapleandmagnolia.com

That red dresser is fab! Love the color and the finish! The signs are great too. Can't wait to see your ornaments!

2. Michaela

I love the red dresser! I bet your ornaments are great…can't wait to see! (:

3. Chrissie

I love the red! I have an old washstand I was considering doing in a similar finish. Your signs look wonderful, I love the sheep!

4. jzemanek1

GREETINGS FROM TEXAS,

I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I STARTED VOTING FOR YOU…
    I VOTED TONIGHT AND WILL CONTINUE EACH DAY… GOOD LUCK , JEANNE

PS I LOVE TO READ ABOUT YOUR EXCITING PROJECTS….

5. gina

Love your new signs and that dresser is GREAT!! I voted for you too.

6. Holly @ Roller Coaster Life

dresser looks fantastic!! so do the signs!! of course!

I love that you did the dresser in a different color! Look at you working out side of the box! =)

7. Allison

Love the red dresser and the signs. I think the sheep sign is wonderful! I can't wait to see your ornaments. For some reason I am already in the Christmas spirit! I voted again today.

8. Amy R.

The dresser and signs turned out great! Just letting you know I voted for you!
    Amy

9. lori diane

voted for ya—your video is great—they must love that every where you turn could use some work. the window is the best. Love your dresser make-over too! You are sooo inspiring to me! I'm an artist but LOVE decorating and finding treasures and your are living one of my dreams…that and being a full time artist.

10. Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas

Oh Em Gee!!! I love all three!!! The dresser just took my breath…I LOVE it that much!

And the sign with the lamb!!!! LOVE that!!!!

I am on my way to vote now!

Lou Cinda 🙂

11. Anji Johnston

My vote is cast and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all three of these amazing creations!

12. Laura

I noticed the dresser drawers have those awesome ld key holes on them. What did you do about them when you painted? Did you just paint around them?

13. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage

I adore your dresser!! That came out just beautifully!! Reminds me of a dresser I painted red a few years ago and sold… so pretty! Love the sheet sign too! 🙂

14. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here

Hi Marian, I love the new signs and the dresser looks wonderful! Good luck with the True Value contest and I am voting for you.
    xo, Sherry

15. Arlene

I love that you painted the dresser red!!! The signs are so neat. I voted for you again tonight. Goodluck!!!!!

16. Stephanie

Love the color of the dresser. If it doesn't sell soon, it will look really good for your Christmas display. I doubt it will be around by then. Thanks for the reminder to vote, I hope you keep reminding us so that we can remember to go over and vote.

17. Cindi @ Rustique Art

Love the dresser! I have a red dresser in my bedroom with…glass knobs! Great minds….! right?

mine needs to be shabbied up a bit…on my to do list now. This is why reading blogs is so wonderful…great ideas abound.

btw…what is Pig Powder? Is there really such a thing or does it just make a great sign? 🙂

18. Tricia @ A Rosy Note

Your dresser turned out great. Love your signs too, especially the one with the pig 🙂

19. sissie

Absolutely no one can transform old furniture the way you do!! I love the dresser. And, the signs are wonderful. Love the paint technique you used on the wood.

hugs
    Sissie

I voted for you.

20. Karen M.

Marian, thanks again for the fabulous workshop!! My brain is working overtime thinking of all the creations I can make for the holidays. It was fantastic meeting you, and I look forward to future workshops! 🙂

Voted for you too…good luck!

21. Modern Country Lady

great colour- and great signs! Voted again for you- hope you get the bathroom you drrrrream off!!!!

22. barnscrapper

Love the country red of the dresser. I just voted for your bathroom make-over. I will cast a vote for you daily. Would love to see what you would do with a bathroom. I'm in the process of trying to decide on a style to redo 2 of my bathrooms in my house.
    I need some inspiration!

23. kpaints

You got my vote, I have lived in a bathroom just like that one…including the pink and burgandy plastic tiles! Good luck.

24. Carriage House Antiques

Just voted!! Good Lord you DESERVE to win,with all your beautiful talent I pictured you living in a country estate! Good Luck I will vote again tomorrow!!!
    Natalie
    p.s LOVE LOVE LOVE the red on the dresser,I gotta say I am getting bored of white :S maybe cuz it's Fall i don't know but that is stunning!!I wish you had a booth in MY shop 😛

25. Bella Dio

I always look forward to seeing your work. You never let me down. But, I have to ask. How do you come up with the what you will put on your signs? Pig powder, really?!? I would have never come up with that. You are the best.

26. Sharon@Sharon at Home

Love the red. It is so nice to see a dresser not painted white or blue!!! Very pretty.

27. Lili

What a beautiful color with those crystal knobs. I hope you win the bathroom makeover, I would love to see what you could do with the place! With all the inspiration you provide for us, it's the least we can do to vote for you!! ~Lili

28. About Vintage French Hen

Great job on the red dresser, it's so cute! Did you free hand your signs? I wish I could draw so badly! Instead; I draw, so badly! I voted for your bathroom…and really? A window to no-where? I guess you don't have to worry about "peeping Toms". Marcia

29. Gypsy Heart

LOVE the red! Of course, that's my favorite color but the dresser does look dynamite. I really like the sheep sign too. I've been voting ~ so hopefully you will win. 🙂

Can't wait to see more ~ especially if it's red.

Pat

30. Barbara

I love the red dresser! You did a terrific job. The signs are awesome, "pig powder"? hehe

Hugs XX
    Barbara

31. Alyssa

The dresser's great! I have to admit my favorite thing as a knitter is that sheep sign. Love it!

32. Elizabeth

Love the dresser.. Got a question??
    what type of finish is the paint??do you use flat,satin,etc… ???
    thanks.
    Elizabeth

edickerson at dishmail dot net

33. Jayne B.

I voted for you and I don't even know you. I hope you win! Your blog is great!

34. diane

I LOVE your dresser makeover!! I just picked up a dresser and a child size desk from an auction. I am going to cut the desk off and turn the desk into a bedside table!! You have inspired me… Thank you!!!

35. Wendy B.

i really just want to congratulate you on all of your hard work and the inevitable joy that will be a secondary blockbuster… an empty stall at the show. i am sure you will have so very little to re-stock your pavilion with.

waiting to hear all the news. good luck… wendy

36. Jody Balfay

Love the red dresser. I am about to paint a small desk/table. It is already a maple color. I have sanded it some to remove the varnish. Alot of people paint black as a primer. I’m not really crazy about it. Do I need to put a stain on it before I paint it red? Thanks for including the name and brand of the red paint! I had bought some barn red and it was too dark and too brown.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. So Many Projects | Kary & Mark Move Upstate - [...] or turquoise….but definitely distressed either way. Here is some inspiration…and here, here and [...]