Independent of one another, two of my friends from church asked me if I could give them advice on refinishing a table. It occurred to me that I have a table I want to refinish, too, so why not make a day of it and refinished all of the tables together? Projects are always more fun when fellowship is involved and, as an added bonus, we have boys who are the same age and they could play together while we worked. Projects are also more fun with the kiddos are occupied and happy!
Since I was working with friends on their tables as well as my own, I didn’t take the time to do a tutorial for this one, but I’ll share links to tutorials I’ve written in the past when I used the same techniques.
Here is the table before…
It wasn’t in bad shape, but it had a very orange tone and the person who last refinished it went a little crazy with the glossy polyurethane. The piece was smothered in a thick layer and there were a lot of drips on the legs. It was also very shiny and I wanted a softer look.
Here is how it looks now…
I love how the top turned out. It really helped that I had beautiful wood to work with!
I completely stripped the poly finish off of the top. I used the same method, products, and tools I shared in THIS TUTORIAL.
I lightly sanded the base of the table and painted it in two coats of MMS Milk Paint Farmhouse White.
For the top, I did a white washing with very watery MMS Milk Paint in Farmhouse White. After the wash dried (which only took about 15 minutes, since it was applied thin and it was a nice breezy day), I sanded it with 220 grit paper in the direction of the grain. This removed most of the wash, but left faint traces of it. I then finished it all off with MMS Hemp Oil to wake up and hydrate the old wood as well as make it water resistant and durable.
You can see a step-by-step white washing tutorial HERE.
I lightly distressed the base with 120 grit sand paper, let it chip wherever it wanted, and then sealed it with one coat of Tough Coat.
I like how the top still coordinates with the buffet, but the painted base ties it to the chairs and makes it stand out off the carpet a bit more.
And we also got the linen cord cover on the chandelier! The sweet-talking worked. It only took a few minutes and it is a great finishing touch.
With everything coming together, I was excited to paint the hutch interior and finally paint the window frames, so they match the rest of the trim in the room. I got those to-do’s knocked out on Friday, but that’s for another post…