build a farm table with a drill

by | Aug 16, 2011 | Miscellaneus | 35 comments

Aw…hugs, girls!  I am still reading through all of your amazing comments (almost 200 of them) that were written in reply to my post yesterday.  There were so many amazing and inspiring stories and moments shared.  I feel such affection for all of you and it’s so nice to know we are not alone.  Thank you for taking the time to write those comments and e-mails.

I write a monthly spread for Cottages and Bungalows magazine called “DIY Essentials.”  The October 2011 issue features a tutorial on building a basic farm table.  If you’ve never done woodworking before, that might sound like a intimidating project, but my husband and I made one with just a drill.  No saws or other expensive, specialty tools.  It’s sturdy and the size and leg style can be customized for your space.  Check out the issue to get all of the details.

The issue should be in the mailboxes of subscribers and it will hit newsstands soon.

Now I have to get to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas projects…yes…in August.  Welcome to my world.
Calli!  Congrats, girl!  Shop for me while you’re there, please.

1. Simple Daisy

Oh my gosh…amazing! I've been wanting to build a beautiful table!! Can't wait for the issue:)

2. Andrea

I can't wait to get my hands on that issue. You go girl!

3. Deborah

AMAZING! nothing else to say!

4. Rhonda @ The Yellow Brick Road

Just got my issue but have yet to sit down to read it…..BUSY…my booth opens this Saturday….no free time. I can't wait to have a few moments to read it though! I am so excited for you! What an opportunity! You go girl!

5. Liz

I am sooooooo excited to read this!!! We have been tearing down an old barn/chicken-coop/shed and I really wanted to use the old wood for something. I know it will be a little more work but my Grandfather is willing to help me build a farm table. It is just the inspiration I need. Can't wait!! Thank you also for your post yesterday I really appreciated your honesty and the encouragement that it gave me.

Liz

6. Sara @ thesherlockshome

I'm going to have to go get this issue. I've been really wanting a farm table, but have been discouraged by either the price or the size has been to big for my dining area.

7. Sunnyside Dru

The dining room table here on our farm seats 4 people! Our old dining room was much bigger, and for nod we have been using a kitchen table. Seems a good idea to pick up this issue and get to work! Thanks!

8. aimee

cant wait to check it out when it hits the stands!
    blessings,
    aimee

9. Helen

Wish I lived nearer!!
    Love Helen xx

10. Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive

MMS, I am flying today and hope I find a Cottages and Bungalows magazine in the airport. Great going!

11. SueAnn

Can't wait!! The farm table sounds great!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

12. Lauren

I am going to have to pick up a copy of this. We will soon be needing a new dining room table and it would be wonderful to be able to craft it ourselves.

13. Annie

Oh my gosh, how sweet is that farm house table. God has blessed you with such amazing talents.

14. Chrissy

Yesssss!! We built our own farm table last fall, and by "built" I mean we drilled plywood onto the top of an old cherry table and stained it. It came out alright for cheating, although not nearly as nice as the one in this pic.

Can't wait to pick up my copy!

15. Beth

I never thought to make our own table….my hubby can build just about anything and we want a "new" table, so maybe I should show him this and he can make one (after he's done repainting his 1949 Farmall tractor).

I don't know how you keep up with everything you do and write, along with your family, but you do it all very well! Thank you for including us in your world!

16. Stacy Ann

Oooo! I just ordered a subscription! But I'll have to pick up this copy at Lowes. Thanks for the heads up! I'm excited to starting reading your articles on there.

17. Stacia Freeman

I am in AAAAHHHH of your drapes. I keep seeing them in so many of your posts. Did you make them or buy them???

18. Cindi @ Rustique Art

Fun! I have a table that needs a new top or a really good sanding and some paint, but what I really wanna do is remove the top and lay wide barn wood planks for a table top. Secure them to the frame and legs, paint and rough up just the bottom and call it done.

Still looking for those perfect planks though 🙂 I'm a patient woman.

19. Linda in AZ *

*** SHAME ON YOU, my friend!!! THANKSGIVING and CHRISTYMAS????… I'm still trying to get thru the 4th OF JULY!!!! (Smiles!)…

Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

20. freckled laundry

I will def. be grabbing this issue. I have searched high & low for a narrow farmhouse table. They go for buku bucks at antique auctions so I'm always outbid. I considered making one…now I most certainly will. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

21. Veronica

Hi. so sorry I missed yearday's post but I went back to read it! I have to say that even at this stage of my life when all went wrong smack bang at the same time, the one thing I realised is that I stopped creating the things that I love doing and decided to go back and just do it. One of the ways to get back was quite by accident and through starting my blog! And my oh my it has been such an eye opener it is unreal! I have met so many wonderful creative and inspirational people like yourself and I absolutely do not know where I would have ended up was it not for blogging that has brought back all the excitement for the things that i truly love to do! so great post and wonderful advise. Upword and onwards we go>> Am going back to read all the comments now!

Veronica

22. Ellen

Still….lovin' those curtains….smiles.

23. Bridgett

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to see this DIY article! I've been wanting to do a farmhouse style table with some reused barnwood since I saw some much pricier examples at Restoration Hardware. I was just wondering if it would be possible to create it using a table base and legs and just replacing the top. Thanks so much for this one!

24. janet

I buy that magazine and can't wait to see and make that farm table..I love your blog and am waiting patiently to see what you have up your sleeve for Christmas..You never disappoint in anything that you do..
    Janet

25. Heaven's Walk

I saw your wonderful article in there, Marian! Great job on it! Luv that table! It would look great in any type of house! 🙂

xoxo laurie

26. Anonymous

To Stacia Freeman: I've seen the drapery fabric at JoAnn Fabrics for quite some time. Just saw it the other day and thought about buying it for my living room but I have just too many projects going on right now. They are stunning!

27. Antique tables

ohhh. Its so nice, we are so excited yo see this!

28. Ellen

I'm pretty sure I saw that issue at Books a Million today… now I need to go back and buy it!! 🙂

29. Anonymous

Love the Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue and French Linen

30. Anonymous

Just subscribed to Stylish Patina and I love the Paris Grey and Old White.

31. Farm table

Looking for the perfect kitchen table for entertaining! The table you choose can create a decor focal point for the room and your party. These are the perfect table for dining…..