$4.00 Chair + White Cotton Twill =

by | Feb 13, 2010 | Sewing, Tutorials | 67 comments

I absolutely love being able to make slipcovers.  If you don’t detest sewing, you really should try your hand at making one.

When we purchased our house 3 1/2 years ago, we were moving from 1010 square feet to about 2500.  We needed furniture, but buying new was not in the budget…nor is that my style.  So, we started hitting yard sales and we came across this chair for $4.00.  I wasn’t in love with the lines, but it was comfy, sturdy and it didn’t stink.  I knew it would be greatly improved by a slip cover.  Enter the white cotton twill.
I made a fitted cover with minimal piping and a pleated skirt.
My slipcovers are not perfect, but I only make them for my home, so they don’t have to be.  I love that I can just toss them into the wash with a little bit of bleach if a cat or a kid is a little rough on them.
Miss Mustard Seed

I’m posting this to SNS at Funky Junk Interiors, Met Monday, Make it for Monday, Angie’s Slipcover Show-off and

1. Judy

You are such a good seamstress, I would love to try my hand at slipcovers but I'd chicken out so I'll leave it to the experts.

Happy Valentine's Day!
    Judy

2. Melissa

It looks beautiful, boy do I wish I had learned how to sew….that would come in pretty handy in the real world! Looks great!!

Take Care, Melissa

3. Debbie~

I looove your slipcover it's beautiful, I would love to have some that fit as nice as yours, but I'm really afraid to tackle such a project, Hurray for YOU!!! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

4. Low Tide High Style

Oh my that is beautiful and I can't believe your deal on that chair! I think your slipcover is perfect…even if you don't! I wish I could sew but truly I cannot, I made a sundress once that was nearly unrecognizable! I love the little pleated skirt you added, really pretty!

Kat 🙂

5. WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie

Fabulous!! One of these days, I will get the gumption to try a sewing project. I have sewn easy things before. And I even own sewing books. I still find it intimidating!!

6. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions

I believe it was a white twill I bought, also, for my sofa slipcover. I didn't make mine, but I think slipcovers are a great option. Love the flirty little skirt on your chair!

7. ~ Regan

I have a sectional that could use a canvas slipcover (hint!!) 😉 I wish I could work magic with my sewing machine the way you can!

8. Prairie Girl Studio

hello little miss mustard seed …
    it's been too long since i've been by, but what a great post to come to! i love slipcovers … especially white ones … something clean and simple …
    good for you for doing the piping … it really finishes it nicely …
    when i was a teenager, in my final year of 4-H, i covered four large foam 'square' floor cushions and had to make the piping from the same fabric … it was quite a task but very rewarding … the chair is still in pretty good shape!
    off to see what other great delights you've been creating …
    take good care,
    prairiegirl xo

9. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style

Love the white slipcover with the ruffled bottom. I think you did a wonderful job. I have a pottery barn white slipcovered sofa in my sun room and I love that I can just take off the cushion covers or the whole thing and throw it in the washer and dryer and put it back on. So easy!!

10. Traci@ Beneath My Heart

I love slipcovers too! Such a great way to make a chair look like new. Yours looks fabulous!
    Blessings,
    Traci

11. Ann On and On...

Whenever I'm here I want to start sewing…. You're very inspiring!

12. Vintage Junky

I love it! It looks great! You can make me a slipcover anytime!!
    Michelle

13. Tales From My Empty Nest

Great slipcover!! You did a nice job. I just got a $12 wing chair at Goodwill that I would like to do the same thing to. Maybe your chair will inspire me. Love & blessings from NC!

14. Susie~From My Home To Yours

Love the slipcover on the chair. I am actually IN the process of making my first slipcover for my cozy chair. This will also be my first attempt at 'piping'. You've inspired me to continue.

Question, what size cording do you use for the piping? I have a smaller size which I thought might be skimpy, so I bought a little bit larger one that almost seems too much. It's hard to tell exactly right now cause I need to get a zipper foot.

Blessings,
    Susie

15. Funky Junk Interiors

So pretty! I love the ruffles you add to your creations.

I've decided I'd really like to cover my UP chair after all and am totally intimidated. Guess it would help if my sewing machine wasn't (literally) upside down in a pile of junk downstairs. I dare say I think it needs a tune up. 🙂

I think you promised a slipcover tutorial one day. I'll be first in line to watch the show!

Donna

16. Bon

Absolutely gorgeous! I wish I could sew!

17. Karli @ RockyBella

I'm featuring you on Sunday. Im soo jealous of this chair. 😉

18. Rustique Gal

What a nice job you do. I love the look of a nice slipcover, too, but have not tried my hand at it yet. Happy Valentines day! Sherry

19. Prior

Oh, I'm envious. Love your slip cover. Lezlee

20. Shay

I dont think I would ever have the guts to try a slipcover.

I love that chair both ways, and your slipcover is beautful.

21. SueAnn

The slipcover really makes that chair fabulous!! Love it! I am toying trying to do a slipcover…a little nervous about doing it though!
    I will try!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

22. Marianne

He, I've been following your blog for a while in my reader. I thought I'd leave a comment. Love the slipcover, but also the pillow.
    Have a nice Valentine's Day.

23. Gail

I love slipcovers and one of these days I want to try and make one.

24. Bird

I've never made a slip cover..Is it hard?

Yours looks absolutely dreamy!

25. Suzan

I think I have 4 books on making slipcovers and upholstering but I am still such a chicken about making one. I have a wing chair in my living room that I love but is sorely in need of a slipcover. Should I try with an old sheet first or just live life in the fast lane?

26. Vintage Simple

I love slipcovers – being able to throw them in the wash is priceless to me, especially with a little boy and a dog in the house. We have denim slipcovers and their great because they're forgiving like a pair of jeans…

I've never tried my hand at making slipcovers, but you may have just inspired me to give it a try… Your slipcover looks great!

best,
    -maria

27. Marianne@Songbird

I'd slipcover all of our leather chairs and sofa if I could get away with it. I never tried my hand at piping though. Really gives this little one an extra touch! Looks very nice.

28. KATHY

Hi, i'm a new blogger, i found your blog and i love it!!The slipcovers look great.I don't think i could ever make one.I wish i could.You did a great job….Kathy

29. marty (A Stroll Thru Life)

Your slipcover has just totally transformed this chair. I love it. I have sewn everything else but slipcovers. I guess someday I will have to give it a try. Hugs, Marty

30. angie

Miss Mustard Seed, you have done it again! It looks great and so does the piping.

31. Jackie

it looks wonderful! I only wish I wasnt so chicken as to try it. Have a wonderful Val Day!

32. SueBee

Great job! You should feel good about your slipcover. I had mine made from painters drop cloths I washed a bunch of times to make them soft. You have inspired me to try myself.
    Happy Valentine's Day!

33. Flea Market Trixie

That chair is so lovely.I love the pleated shirt, just beautiful, great job as always 🙂

34. Frugal Home Designs

Great job. I am always intimidated by the thought of making a slip cover.

35. Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals

Oh I LOVE your slipcover – I have a couch and a couple of chairs I want to slipcover just like the one you made.

Need a tutorial or how much would you charge to make one.

You are so talented.

36. Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt

Love a slipcover and love a gal who can make one! Kudos my dear….you have made the chair into a masterpiece.

Cheers~
    e

37. Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky)

You did a great job! I love the versatility of slipcovers, especially white. I too make slipcovers and am not an expert either. I just try the best I can and the after is always better than the before.

38. Cheryl

Your slipcover looks great and I love that you used minimal piping. just enough to give it a great look.
    I've just recently fallen in love with the look of slipcovers.

39. Anonymous

I love it. That chair and that 'look' would be the perfect place to do the french-script stuff that is oh-so-popular right now..

40. Sixty-Fifth Avenue

If I knew how to sew and make slipcovers I would have a furniture factory in my house!Love the makeover and your blog. Happy Valentines day!

41. Michelle (4 Men 1 Lady)

GO-JUS! A woman after my own heart. That little chair needed a home and it looks so lovely now that you gave it some love! Love those pleates!

42. Emily

I really need to learn to make a slipcover. We have a chair that's just dieing for one, but I haven't gotten brave enough yet.

43. Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs

I like to sew, but I am quite intimidated by slipcovers…they look so complicated, but I am sure that it would be easier than I think. Yours (like always) are beautiful!

Blessings, Grace

44. Kolein

Oh, MMS, have you done a tutorial of a slipcover yet? I actually love it when they are not "perfect" looking. I have a number of pieces that I'd like to do them for. My difficulty lies in the arms. I cannot get them right.

I love cotton twill in any color!!!

I'm re-doing my entire home. You read that correctly.

I'm starting on Monday. I just told my husband. He looked scared. I reassured him, nothing to be afraid of!

Love your little chair. Seeing this has opened my eyes to the possibility of used furniture actually having a part in my home. I abhor the hand me downs that we have here. But if they were covered? Maybe it would begin a new love affair with them. Hmm?

~Kolein

45. Becolorful

Slip covers have move from being on my radar to being on my wish list. I am not really a seamstress but I do have a sewing machine that only does a straight stitch now because I lost the zigzag foot thing. Anyway I am thinking about giving something like this a try. Have you ever done a slipcover tutorial?

46. One Cheap B*tch

Gorgeous! I say the same thing to my hubby when something I make comes out a little imperfect. I say it's for our house and I don't care. Although this slipcover looks perfect to me! =)

47. Tamra

Way to go Miss Mustard!

Simple yet beautiful, I love making slipcovers, they can transform a room in one day.

48. Anonymous

Great blog you got here. It would be great to read something more about this topic. Thanx for giving this material.

49. susan

What a difference and update! I don't detest sewing…just never learned. It is one of my real regrets! Beautiful and I love the white!

50. Kathysue

OK I am totally impressed. I hate to sew and I am not very good at it , but if I were, slipcovers and monograms would be in my future. You did an amazing job, what a talent,kathysue

51. Ashlee and Nathanael

I so wish you lived in Utah, I'd pay you to make a slipcover for my crazy but comfortable u-shaped chair.

52. The Starr Family

Gorgeous… will you please do a tutorial?? Begging you please!

53. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home

Hi Miss Mustard Seed! Seriously, I can do this on my own. I'd like your opinion, though (maybe you could include it with your tutorial). Would you do this on a man's chair? My husband's favorite chair is in serious need of recovering. I looked at the off-white twill at JoAnn's several times last week and wondered of it would get too grimey over time…

54. Eileen @ Star's Fault

Wow, this is really an excellent job on this. I am envious of your sewing skills!

Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

55. my home sanctuary

Oh wow. You did such a great job. And how frugal. I have been seeing so many talented seamstresses doing slipcovers. I'll be moving soon and I hope to attempt my coach and love seat. You inspire!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sherry

56. Jeanne

Your slipcover is wonderful! I would love to make a slipcover, but I haven't a clue as to how. I have a chair that is in desperate need of being covered and I've been saving magazine pics of the style I want. ALl of them are like the one you made – with the ruffle at the bottom.
    Xo
    jeanne

57. Tracey

Wow, you have inspired me to try making a slipcover!

58. julie

it turned out perfectly beautiful! i so wish you lived close enough to make me the same exact slipcover for my grannys wingback chair! great job!