As I was putting together the low profile foundation we used on the full-sized antique iron bed, I had a fleeting thought that I should take pictures of the process. My thought that no one would really be interested in the foundation was totally wrong! Most of the comments I received on the bed were asking about the foundation, so I thought I would share a bit more about it.
I have worked with enough antique beds to know that most modern mattresses and box springs totally overwhelm the small frame…to the point where you can’t even see the headboard anymore!
So, I got a low profile foundation, instead of a box spring. I shopped around and decided to purchase The Classic Brand Low Profile 4″ Foundation from Amazon. The full size was just over $100.
It’s under that skirt, but it’s not much to look at, anyway! It gives you an idea of how low it is on the bed frame, though. I could see this being nice for others with antique beds or even for people who have trouble getting into their beds because of the height of the mattress and box spring together.
It does have to be assembled, but it was pretty simple. It took Kriste and I about 15 minutes to insert the bolts and screws and put the cover on.
So, that’s the foundation, for those who were asking.
This week, we started work on the second 9′ x 20′ mural that will be displayed at the front of the booth. The one I shared last week will be the backdrop for the checkout counter.
Kriste and I worked together on the sky and greenery and Katie worked on the barn. It was a little tricky working on this with three people, because the look of the brush strokes needs to remain consistent. Kriste and I kept rotating where we worked in order to keep it uniform.
This mural has more vibrant colors, but a softer, blended look. We still used MMS Milk Paint as a base (Flow Blue, French Enamel, Eulalie’s Sky, Boxwood and Lucketts Green), but we used a lot more acrylic paint to get that vibrant, saturated color.
I worked today on the trees and adding the “Miss Mustard Seed” lettering…
Since I’m moving to a new tent and location this year, I want it to be easy to spot! And, when I put my marketing hat on, I see the advantage of having my brand name written on the backdrop of display that people may snap pictures of and share.
Anyway, I printed up the lettering in 600 font, cut, and taped it all together…
I used graphite paper to trace the lettering onto the canvas mural and then painted the lettering in white acrylic paint.
Again, it’s so hard to get a good picture of it, because the studio is full and the mural is so huge!
Of course, all of the “muraling” on the floor left me and my clothes in quite a state.
More of a state than usual, that is.
We’re going to work on some of the details on the mural tomorrow…adding some critters and such.
I also finally forced myself to get to work on my sewing to-do list. I started with this wing chair, since I knew it was the hardest on my list. I had to keep giving myself pep-talks as I was working on it! I’m so glad I did my upholstery early in my Lucketts prep. (Well, I actually have two more chairs and an ottoman to upholster, but they are pretty simple projects. All of the hard stuff is done.)
I put the skirt and ties on today and I’ll photograph it properly tomorrow. I also finished the railroad cart with the damaged top and I’ll share that soon.
It’s funny, it seems like no matter how much I do “well in advance”, I still find myself cramming to get everything finished!
Lots of details, lots to pack, lots of things to arrange…
Lucketts is definitely taking over the studio!
This is such an exciting, all-hands-on-deck time and I just need to enjoy it. All of the mess and craziness and fluff balls on the floor and tip-toeing around a wet canvas and sore knees and everyone working together to make this year the “best one yet”.
Yeah. I just need to soak all of that in.