I usually don’t work on the weekends, but it’s crunch time as Lucketts is quickly approaching. So, after sitting out in the rain most of the morning to cheer my boys on at soccer, my mom and I spent a few hours in the studio to cross some more things off the to-do list.
My mom priced the shipment of German dish brushes, hemp twine, and fly swatters as well as the antique pieces I purchased last week. I worked on a few pieces of furniture and styled and photographed the settee I finished on Friday…
This started out as a Queen Ann settee I purchased off of craigslist. I honestly bought it because the price was so good. It had a nice shape, but I didn’t expect much from it. It looked a lot like a piece that would be in the waiting room of a dentist’s office. I was expecting it to be lightweight and basic, but something that could be improved by a slipcover.
I was pleasantly surprised, though, when my dad delivered it to the studio. It was a solid, heavy, and quality piece of furniture. The cushion is even down-filled.
The navy damask upholstery was in great condition, so I left it intact, but I wanted to give it a fresh look with a slipcover made out of antique hemp sheets.
I used the same pin-fitting method that I’ve been using for years. You can find my updated 5 part video series on making a slipcover HERE.
My slipcovers are never perfect, but old hemp sheets, with their exposed seams and patches, lend themselves nicely to imperfect sewing.
I must admit that I have fallen in love with this piece. It’s simple and sturdy, yet has a grace about it.
But, I can’t keep everything, so it will be coming to Lucketts, along with some of the other pieces I used to create this “living room”…
I’ll share about those in another post…