Raleigh flea market & antique finds

by | Dec 5, 2015 | All Things Home, Antiques, Favorite Finds | 41 comments

Last Saturday, when I was in Raleigh visiting Jeff’s family for Thanksgiving, I spent the better part of the day shopping local with a great group of ladies.  We met up at the Raleigh Flea Market, hit a few antique stores and lunched at a local soup & sandwich shop.

This is the second time I’ve done a meet-up like this in Raleigh and it was such a special day.  I loved getting to connect with other women who enjoy decorating and antiques as I do.  We were an eclectic mix, but we all had that common ground.  And not only did I get to connect with them, but they connected with each other.

And we all found stuff that “spoke” to us.

mms-2807

I found this cool stool for $25 right off the bat.  Of course, I’m going to make a cover for the seat.

raleigh flea

I also picked up this little rolling stool.  We have a similar one at the studio and Kriste and I love to use it when we’re working on furniture.  We silently fight over it, so I’ve been on the lookout for another one.     mms-2804 I also got this sweet wooden basket that’s the perfect color green… mms-2818 mms-2819 A little cast iron sheep bank… mms-2838 …two sets of wooden Indian clubs with a gorgeous patina…

A silver plated napkin ring to add to my collection…

mms-2844

I pick them up here and there and I love mixing and matching them when I set a table.

mms-2840

And a winged pig.  There’s just something sweet and hopeful about him, isn’t there?

mms-2837

And my favorite find is this goat cart.  I’ve wanted one for years.  I remember spotting one at a yard sale about 15 years ago, practically diving out of the car to claim it, but it was still too expensive, even at a yard sale.  Over the years, I’ve been tempted to buy one, but I was never sure exactly what I would do with it.  I like this one because the side rails are missing, so it’s just a flat top and that makes it more functional.  Well, as far as goat carts go.  I suppose it’s debatable that they are functional at all without a goat involved…

mms-802

The wheels were a bit of a orange sherbet color, so I painted them in MMS Milk Paint Farmhouse White, but left the top and handle wood.

mms-804

I imagined putting a small tree on it, but I haven’t gotten that far in my Christmas decorating, so I tried using it as a coffee table for the daybed in the family room.  I layered a woven basket on top and a dough bowl filled with fresh greens and a pillar candle.

mms-806

It’s just a fun piece that makes me smile.

mms-793

1. Sylvia

I love the cart. Your boys probably love it, too. 🙂

2. Sharon

I have been looking for both a goat cart and a fling pig forever. Lucky lady that you are, keep your fingers crossed for me. Maybe at Round Top this year………who knows.

3. Ashlea

wonderful finds!

4. Victoria

I love the little rolling stool, great idea. Are you going to paint it?
    Do you have the saying “pigs might fly” in the US? That’s what the little pig made me think of!

• Carla

Yes we do. Well here it’s “when pigs fly”. Something like “I will jump out of an airplane when pigs fly.”

5. Christie

I’ve never even heard of a goat cart ! I guess it would be more practical with a goat … but goats eat anything. You could never put your linens out to dry !

6. Carla

I loved “it might be debatable if its functional without a goat involved”. I never heard of this. Would a goat pull it? Cute as can be the way you’ve decorated it.

7. B Folk

Pray tell, what is a “goat cart” for???
    Love all of your finds! How nice that you took the time to hang out with these ladies, looks as if a good time was had by all.

8. Eileen

I’m happy you bought the goat cart and it looks a lot better now that it’s white. It was a wonderful day and I enjoyed everyone’s company. There’s something to be said for being with women of similar interests. Thanks so much.

9. Patti

Hi MMS! I’ve been following you for months now and this is my first post. I could write a book on how charming and creative you truly are. I’m always inspired by your ideas, posts and fabulous finds. So my question isn’t about any of the items you posted, rather your gorgeous drapes hanging in the background of that last photo with the goat cart. Can you tell me where you purchased them or did you make them? I love th the french pleat look and know they can cost a pretty penny. Thanks 🙂

10. Peggy

Oh my word the flying pig is adorable!!!! Do you use the expression “when pigs fly” in your family? It was a source of amusement when our boys were little. I am so happy you had a delightful time!!!

11. Alicia

Love the goat cart as a coffee table & I’ll just bet your boys do too! Or is it just my 3 monkey men that think if it rolls it has to be a toy? And the basket holding the dough bowl full of juniper is going to drive me to give my neighbors bush a haircut! BTW if you are said neighbor…Marian made me do it!

12. Marlene Stephenson

I can see you had fun and found some wonderful treasures,thanks for sharing i enjoyed. Have a great weekend.

13. TammyJ

Love the pig – reminds me of the story “Perfect the Pig” by Susan Jeschke about a pig with wings. My kids loved that story when they were little!

14. Char

U make me smile, thank u Marion for just being wonderful, creative and giving.

Char

15. Patty

I was kind of reading this fast and I thought you said a golf cart and I couldn’t imagine what you would do with one of those. I like the goat cart a lot better. Incidentally I go to the eye doctor on Wednesday because I think I need a leg up on my prescription.

16. Gloria

LOVE the goat cart! My mother used to pull my brother and I in one while around town when we were in Austria. Wish she would have kept that piece of our past.

Can I inquire as to where you found your 2 antler pillows? … Adorable!

17. Karen

Great finds! That goat cart has my ♥.You find the best things Marian.

18. Jane waddell

Could you please tell me the color of your living room walls

19. Graham

For those looking for a “flying pig”, try eBay. I saw some there.

20. SueSchneid22

That green basket is one gorgeous find!!

21. Ellenann

Loved the goat cart, little flying pig and silver napkin rings. Heck- who am I kidding!?!? I loved everything!!

22. Sheila

Here in Cincinnati, pigs and pork processing are an important part of the history of the city. The flying pig has become associated with Cincinnati. There is an annual flying pig marathon, flying pig bbq, and plenty of flying pig figures to buy if you want them.

23. Magda

Wow! What gorgeous finds!!! I wish in my area such treasures were to be found 🙁 I have just discovered your blog and I’m so loving it!!! cheers!!!

24. Deb

Love the cart and everything else! Need to put Raleigh flea market on my list! I would love the opportunity to antique shop with you and others here in Pa.

25. Sharon

First off, I love your website! I also enjoyed your comment that “it makes me happy”. I am relearning to only buy things that make me happy. We moved into a large, new house so that my parents could move in also. My mom had Alzheimers. It felt cold and unwelcoming after selling my cottage. Slowly, but surely, I am bringing in things that make me happy. For a while the mix of their mid-century furniture and my “cottage” style didn’t blend, but I made it work. Now I am adding pieces that are fun and functional. Thanks so much for encouraging me through your website!

26. Sara

Looks like you had fun and had some amazing finds! I hope to be able to join you all next time!

27. Shirley@Housepitality Designsir

Great finds Marian!…..I have always wanted to join you on Thanksgiving weekend; however, we are usually out of town that weekend…..one day!..

28. Melissa

All of it makes me smile. XO

29. Belinda

Ummm I love the grey pillows with the antlers!! So cute and a perfect subtle holiday touch!

30. marylisa noyes

Wow Wow Wow! Your finds were incredible! I’m assuming their was room for the boys on the way home….lol

31. Clearissa

You picked up some good finds. I live in the Raleigh area and would love to be included in your next meet up. love the flea market and our farmer’s market as well.

32. Kim W

I am so glad I didn’t miss you at SuzAnna’s and was able to join up with you and the group!! I really enjoyed it!! I know you are so glad you didn’t walk away from the goat cart, it looks great with the wheels painted 🙂 Awesome find!!

33. Naomi S.

The goat cart is great, but the sheep and the pig with wings stole my heart.

34. Lauren Baxter

Great finds! That little pig is darling #allthehearteyes and great use for the goat wagon!

Lauren Baxter | Lovely Decor
    xx

35. Jo Scott

I am enamoured with all of your new finds, but I have to tell YOU about the taller stool. It is an obstetrics stool. It had rollers on the legs and was used by the doctor to sit while “catching the baby”. There are still versions of it used today, but that one is very old and special because of the padded seat. I am a retired nurse and always wanted my own stool as I was the one who had been on my feet for hours monitoring the labor(s). Remembering the days when the doctor said jump and we said how high!!!!!
    Thanks you for your faithfulness.

36. Laura

I love the gray antler pillows on your couch! Where did you get them? 🙂

37. CC

Beautiful finds! I would also like to know the wall paint colors in your family room. I love the serene blue. Thanks so much! 🙂