patience pays off

Marian ParsonsFurniture Makeovers, upholstery

Usually, when I am dragging my feet on a project, it’s because 1.) I’m not 100% sure of the direction I want to go, 2.) I know what I’d like to do, but the execution of it is going to be tedious, and/or 3.) I question whether I can pull off what I envision.

There are times when I bulldoze through, anyway, just for the sake of being done.  Historically, that doesn’t work out well for me or the project.

So, I’ve learned that these roadblocks are generally a good thing and I just need to be patient until I can move forward confidently.

That’s exactly why this chair has taken me months!  Well, I was busy with other things also, but I really could’ve had this chair done a long time ago.  I just kept getting stuck and I really wanted this chair to turn out well, so I kept stopping and waiting until I was confident moving forward.

When I last showed the chair, I was planning to use an antique blue checked duvet for the back and trim on the cushion.  I envisioned a petite ruffled trim instead of more traditional piping, but every time I went to work on the piece, it just didn’t feel right.

mms-2830

On my most recent shopping trip, I found a beautiful German, antique linen pillowcase.  I washed it and planned to use it as a pillowcase (it says “sweet dreams” in German, patterned in a strip of crochet).  When I brought it to the studio, I set it on the chair, not really thinking anything of it, but then I looked at the size of the pillowcase and the size of the cushion.

Hmmmm…  I wonder…

Well, it didn’t hurt to try it on and see how it worked!  I decided to put the crochet detail down and let the buttons be the feature on the front of the cushion….

mms-3482

It fits perfectly and seems to suit the lack of structure a down cushion provides.  The pillowcase was $15 and it saved me hours of sewing.

mms-3484 mms-3485 mms-3486

With the cushion now “done”, I decided to use white hemp sheet with a fine weave for the chair back, so it worked with the texture of the linen sheet.  I loved the blue check, but I felt like it might limit what rooms I could use the chair in and this is the kind of chair that could get moved around a lot.

mms-3628

And now I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way to finish this off is with a proper custom-made double-welting.  Yes, it’s a pain and a lot of sewing, but it’s the right choice for this chair, so I pulled out the big-honking roll of cotton piping and I’ll work on it tomorrow.

mms-3625

I do have a new double-welting foot for my Sailrite, so that will really help with the sewing process.  I’ll take some pictures and share how I do it.

In addition to upholstering the back of this chair today, I worked on the art cabinet and it’s looking so much better than it did as I left it before my trip.  And, while that paint was drying, I worked on a new landscape dresser I’m working on for a client.  So, I have lots of fun things to work on and some reveals right around the corner…

MMS_Divider

PS – A very happy birthday to Frederick Banting, the man who first used insulin on humans.  My type 1 diabetic son is alive today because of him and others who continue that work to discover better treatments for insulin-dependent diabetics and hopefully, one day, a cure.

mms-35

patience pays off

Related Posts

caring for my longer hair

sketching

beijing | day one

the cottage bed craigslist score