The story of Lucketts 2017 is a big one! There’s all of the stuff, the great customers, the new venue for the market, our gracious hosts, and my amazing team who helped me pull it all together.
When I last posted, I shared pictures of our set up in the Show Barn at the fairgrounds Thursday, the day before the market. I was so tired and it was late and I was just trying to communicate some things that would be helpful for shoppers the next day, so I didn’t share the details of the set-up day. So, let’s back up and I’ll start the story there.
We loaded two 20′ trucks with all of the things from the studio that we’ve been working on and collecting and drove them down to the Clarke County Fairgrounds early the next morning to unload the trucks and set up the large pieces. (You can read all about that HERE.)
In the past, I would wait until the morning of the sale to get all of the accessories in place. Last year, it was way too much to accomplish in a few short hours with a deadline looming. Given the fact that I was set up in a tent and the weather was always questionable, it was my best option to do that. But, this year, we were in a covered pavilion, so I took advantage of that and set up on Thursday.
Sooo…Wednesday evening, after all of the hunching over furniture, packing and moving boxes, loading and unloading the truck, I realized I had pushed my back too hard and I was having lower back spasms. I had a hard time sleeping, because it would hurt every time I rolled over.
Sore back or not, I had a group of people set to meet me at my space in order to help set up, so I took some Advil, put on the seat heat in the car, and headed to the fairgrounds.
I cannot express what an amazing team I had there that day. To say they were “helpers” would be an understatement. They made it all happen. Not only was I shuffling around with a sore back, but I had the live Washington Post chat from 11-12, so I was sitting at my computer, pecking away, while they were unpacking boxes.
When the chat was over, they had every box unpacked and ironstone and smalls spread out over the flat surfaces, waiting for further instruction. I was overwhelmed for a couple of reasons. First of all, it was such a gift that so much work was already done. Second, there was now stuff everywhere. The contents of enough stuff to furnish a small house were spread out over a barn and I had to get it organized in some fashion in just a few hours.
I started with grouping together like items, just so we could start getting things sorted. So, someone grabbed all of the ironstone plates and filled one cabinet while someone else grabbed all of the pitchers and put them in another. “Office-y” stuff over here, kid’s room stuff over there, kitchen stuff over here, and so forth. It took several hours of nine of us working together to get the booth to a place where it was “good enough” until Friday morning.
I did bring my GoPro, so I could film the set up, but the space was so big and there was so much to set up, that I didn’t think it would show well on camera. Plus, I was too hot and tired to mess with camera cards and tripods!
I’ll share more about the Bed & Breakfast where we stayed in another post, but that evening they treated us to a delightful dinner. I put heat on my back, wrote my annual “guide to shopping Lucketts post”, and then slept like the dead.
Friday morning started at 5:30. I was pleased to find that I could stand upright again and my back was only slightly sore. We had a quick breakfast of homemade muffins and yogurt and headed over to the fairground to finish setting up. Usually, this is when I become a complete tyrant, but we didn’t have much to do, so things were pretty relaxed.
We unpacked the fabric, linens, quilts, books, upholstery, etc. that we didn’t want to expose to the dust of the day before and the dew of the morning. Even though we had a lot in place on Thursday, it was Friday morning when the booth really came to life…
Chicken feeders make the best book racks, as an FYI!
My mom said that I needed to turn the pitcher on the top shelf, so it faced the “right way”. I told her I did that on purpose (and I really did). I wanted one that was “going against the flow.” It made me smile. (And now I’m sort of wishing I kept all of those pitchers!)
(Did you notice my first painting on that dresser? I decided to sell it. I’m not sure who bought it, but it was fun for me that someone did!)
This is a chair I didn’t have a chance to reveal on the blog, because I finished it at the last moment! The frame was painted in a mix of equal parts MMSMP Eulalie’s Sky and Layla’s Mint. I made a slipcover out of a vintage check fabric I had in my stash.
We also partnered with Roots Flower Farm and were able to use their flowers and twig wreaths around the booth, which was a great addition.
Between the directing and fluffing, I had to get all of our registers set up and make sure everyone knew their jobs when the customers showed up. I had a moment of panic when three out of four of the registers wouldn’t connect to the back office. I knew we would be up a creek with only one register. A quick phone call sorted it all out, though, and all four registers were working with about 15 minutes to spare.
I finished fluffing and grabbed my camera to snap the pictures above. Jeff followed me around, letting me know we needed to have our group meeting while we still had time. I hurried around the space, knowing this was my only chance to capture the finished space. I put my camera away, we gathered for a quick team meeting, and then the customers arrived…