Last year, on the wave of getting the front garden done, I got a bee in my bonnet and decided to start working on the section of garden around the electrical boxes.
This is how far I got…
My grit and determination stopped at digging out a few monster perennials and hauling three wheelbarrow-loads full of rock to under our deck. I decided this area could be ugly through the winter. Snow would eventually cover it and I wouldn’t even think about it again until the passes cleared in May. (I’m being facetious there if you didn’t pick up on that.)
Anyway, we’ve had gorgeous spring evenings, so I decided to take advantage of one of those and pick up where I left off. Within five minutes, I remembered why I had abandoned this project. Rocking out tufts of grass with a weed pulling tool an inch at a time isn’t exactly rewarding for me. And trying to scoop little rocks off of ripped plastic weed-blocker isn’t a hoot, either. And to make it all even more of a struggle, there is an intricate network of roots running through this area and every time I pulled one, I was certain it was a wire and I just cut off our internet. I had to keep giving myself pep talks. Just listen to your music and enjoy the weather and it will be done soon.
I pulled weeds, hauled down two loads of rock, and pulled up bits of sheeting. Finally, it was starting to resemble a clean slate. There is still about another one-to-two loads of rock to shovel and haul (it’s behind the boxes and under that perennial) and a bit more sheeting to pull up, but it’s getting there. My shoulder was howling and my back was trying to convince me it’s much older than it actually is, so I stopped for the evening.
Because of the wiring, I made the call-before-you-dig call and they came out Friday to mark the underground cables.
I’ll show you what I planted and how it turned out in the next garden update…