I’m still chipping away at the finishing details in the guest room. One of the details that had me a little stuck was what to hang to balance out the mirror hung by the left side of the bed…
I tried holding up a few different things…mostly collections of smaller pieces. As I looked through pictures in my stash that still haven’t found a home on a wall, I found this large bird print. I bought it shortly after we moved in, but I realized that it really didn’t work with anything. (I really needed a pair and I could only find one.) It was one of those purchases I regretted, but I didn’t have the heart to take a $100 purchase to a thrift store until I exhausted all options. With several rooms still in the works and needing makeovers, I still had hope that I might find a home for it.
Almost at the same time as I was eyeing this bird print, I thought about the antique baby dresses hanging in the sewing room closet. I wonder if one would fit in the frame…
The frame had about a 1/2″ gap between the print and the glass, making it a good candidate to use as a shadow box. The frame was also the perfect size to balance out the mirror.
I dismantled the frame and the print was actually mounted on foam core board, so I was able to use that as the base. If it was mounted on cardboard, I would’ve cut a piece of foam core board to use. I ironed an antique hemp sheet I had in my fabric stash and cut it to the size of the foam core board, allowing an inch or so on each side for overhang.
I could’ve used adhesive spray to affix the fabric, but I didn’t have any on hand, so I just used hot glue around the border. I would apply a bead of glue, pull the fabric taut, and hold it in place until the glue cooled.
This worked because the fabric is thick, so you couldn’t see the glue through. If you’re working with thin linen, I would suggest using a spray adhesive.
Once the fabric was affixed, I cut off the excess.
I spread out the dress and hanger, arranging them how I wanted them to hang. I then used small pins to pin both the dress and hanger in place. For the dress, I pinned the bottom layer, so the pins wouldn’t be visible.
I decided to use the hanger as well to fill the frame a bit better and add more interest, but you can certainly mount a piece of clothing on its own. I pinned the hanger in two places around the hook and one where the hook meets the wood piece. The dress was pinned at the sleeves and skirt.
I put it all back together and here is how it looks…
Since I already had all of the materials, this project felt like it was “free”, but in actuality, the frame was purchased for $100 about a year-and-a-half ago. The fabric was a remnant off of a larger piece and the dress belonged to Jeff’s mom. So, I would peg this project at about $120 total, which isn’t bad for a large, custom piece of art.
Doesn’t it look so sweet?
Oh, and there’s a look at the other dresser I found for this room! I was going to get a desk, but this dresser was just too precious to pass up. It’s such a beautiful piece and it was in fantastic shape. I’m living with it as is for a while, but it might get painted.
In other guest room news, I’ve been working on painting the doors in the room. They need just one more coat and then that part of the project will be done.
I was planning on putting a frosted film in the closet windows, but I tried one pane and I didn’t like it. It just looked too modern. I decided to take a more traditional approach and I ordered a couple of white sheer panels. I’ll install them on the inside of the doors and they’ll brighten up the windows, so it doesn’t look like a black hole in there. It will also hide all of the stuff stored in there. I try to keep it neat, but it’s still not pretty!
The room is really coming along…