While at Junk Bonanza, we decided it would be fun to shop for a piece, paint and finish it in Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint products, and then offer it up as a giveaway. We did it last year and it went so well that it was worth an encore. So, Wednesday evening, after our booth was set up, I wandered around looking for a good candidate to paint. I found a few pieces that were nice and within my $150 budget, but I decided to keep looking.
And I was glad I waited when I spotted this gorgeous late 1800’s dresser with unique hardware and trim for $125…
I bought it from The Tinker’s Ware. There were actually several pieces in that booth that were good candidates to paint, but this one was the one and my heart was set on it. We settled up and moved it upstairs to our space the next morning.
Check out the sides of this piece. Isn’t the detail amazing?
The wood wasn’t in bad shape, but I felt like paint would bring out those details even better. And I was there to demo paint!
We collected giveaway entries throughout Thursday and drew a name at the end of the day. The winner was actually our first entry! She was a teenager named Hannah who raced with her mother to our booth, so they could buy the postal sorter and hardware cabinet. They each put in an entry before even seeing the dresser that was the prize.
Now, I have to take a minute to say that the drawing was fair and square. We stirred up the entries and someone from the event staff selected the name. I didn’t play favorites because they drove to the event during a snowstorm and raced to our booth. It was just meant to be Hannah’s dresser.
The funny thing is that now she and her mom needed to have a conversation about who would actually get the dresser! Hannah won out and the dresser would be going into her room. They requested I paint it in Farmhouse White.
So, we spent Friday and some of Saturday painting the piece.
Once the hardware was removed, Cheri (my antiquing buddy who came to help for the event) and I worked together on sanding the surface with 150 grit paper. It was on the shiny side and I didn’t want a lot of chipping, so sanding was the best way to get good adhesion. It probably took 10-15 minutes to rough it up. The details made it take a little longer than usual, but we didn’t get into every little nook and cranny. Some chipping would be okay.
Cheri and I then worked together to apply two coats of Farmhouse White…
I will confess that I was a little bummed initially when they picked Farmhouse White. I was secretly hoping to paint the dresser in a stronger color with white details on the carving. I think that would’ve been nice, but the white looked gorgeous, especially with the wood top left unpainted. They had chosen well.
I applied some Hemp Oil to the top to bring out the richness of the patina and color.
Once the paint was dry, I lightly sanded the edges with 150 grit paper. I just wanted to knock the freshness off of the paint, so it didn’t look brand-spanking-new. Cheri and I applied Hemp Oil over the paint as a topcoat and the final step.
And it turned out so great! I wish I had a better backdrop and lighting to get a proper picture of it, but you get the idea.
The best part is that Hannah and her mom loved it.