We finally started work on our master bathroom this week. We’re doing most of the work ourselves, but brought a contractor in to help with removing the old tub and installing the new one. He’s also going to take care of the electrical stuff. The awesome thing about working with this guy is that he’s letting us work with him, so it saves us some money.
In case you missed it, this is the direction for the bathroom. I go into more detail in THIS POST.
I did make a last minute, cost-cutting decision. I love the mini beveled subway tile, but it’s going to be labor intensive to grout, since the edges of the tile are beveled, creating deep grooves. When you’re paying for the labor, labor intensive = expensive. The tile was also about $10/sq ft. I decide to go with the 3 x 6″ marble subway tile instead. I get a very similar look for just over $5/sq ft. minus the labor intensive grouting.
Our contractor was coming early Wednesday evening, so I decided to start the demo in the afternoon. I could get as much of the demo work done on my own, so we had more time to get the specialty stuff done.
I worked for a couple of hours and removed about 90% of the tile from the shower walls. The picture below makes it look like the guys did it, but they hopped in when I was pooped and I got behind the camera. Demo is fun for about the first five minutes and then it isn’t fun anymore. I had pieces of tile in my shoes, socks, hair…I just kept reminding myself of the end result and the calories I was burning!
It was great watching the pro work. I’m sure he’s done this hundreds of times, so he had it down to a science. While I was hauling out tile in an overloaded, torn at the bottom contractor bag, he was using 5 gallon buckets. Duh. While I pried off the tiles one-by-one and then the pieces of cement board, he pulled off the entire piece of cement board…tile and all. Duh. Well, I did try that and just made a crumbly mess, but he knew just how to do it. So, not only were we saving money, but I was learning a lot, which is gold to a DIYer.
The three of us worked the old tub out, which was a 350 lb cast iron tub, and maneuvered the new one into place, which was also a 350 lb cast iron tub. Whew!
The new tub is in with the plumbing all hooked up. We’re now working on repairing the drywall that had to be removed, building a front panel for the tub and demoing the rest of the bathroom to get ready for the tiling to be completed. While we’re waiting for the tile, we’re going to install the skylight tube (hopefully on a cool, dry day) and get the antique dresser-turned-vanity ready to go. It’s coming together nicely!
After a day of demo and tile shards and drywall dust (all after doing P90x Shoulders & Arms), I took the next day to do some shopping. Some of it was tedious shopping for things like cement board, drywall screws and 2 x 4’s, but some of it was milling around…looking for inspiration or for something to catch my eye. Well, two things caught my eye.
First was this over-sized metal clock face at Hobby Lobby. I was on clearance for $50 (originally $160.) I leaned it up on the dresser in my family room until I figure out exactly what I want to do with it and where I want to put it. I’m thinking some chippy white milk paint might be in order…
I also fell in love with these curtains at Target. Of course, they are blue and white, which attracted me immediately…
…and they are a pretty woven fabric with a cream crewelwork design. At $20/84″ long panel, I thought this was great fabric to make pillows or to use for upholstery.
I swaddled it around a pillow just to see see how it would look…
I’m picturing it with a white linen pleated trim and ironed, of course…mom. I know you were looking at those creases! (She actually bought me a really nice iron a couple of years ago, because the wrinkles and creases in my photos were bugging her.) I’m not sure where I’m going to use the fabric, yet, but it’ll work in several rooms in my home, so I’m looking forward to finding the perfect spot.
Speaking of fabric, I’ve been hunting for the perfect fabric for my family room French daybed. I want to use a blue & white toile and I can’t see to find the kind I envision. Either the pattern is right, but the color is wrong or the color is right, but the pattern is wrong or I like the overall look, but the subject of the toile (like roosters or fishing) just isn’t right. I thought I found the right fabric and ordered it, but just learned today that it was discontinued. Bummer! So, I just ordered a few more samples. I’m replacing the geometric blue curtains (that are a little too modern for me) with a cream linen, so I really need some kind of pattern. I picture something with an antique European vibe… hopefully, I’ll find it.
The fun never stops…
…and I like it that way.