Christmas Song 2016 | Born is the King (It’s Christmas)

by | Dec 24, 2016 | a slice of life, Winter | 54 comments

It’s become a tradition here on the Miss Mustard Seed blog to share a Christmas song.  It started with me sneaking into another room and playing a song on the guitar with a camera propped on a chair.  One year, Jeff and I did a duet, written by a friend of ours.  Last year, I extended a last minute invitation to my family and Kriste & her husband to join in and we recorded Oh, What a Glorious Night.

It was so much fun, that we decided to do it again.

I picked out the song in November, though, so we were all able to actually practice before hand.  My brother, who owns a recording studio, was also able to bring some better recording equipment.

We introduced some new instruments this year, too.  My mom played a toy xylophone last year, but we needed a real one for all of the flats in this song.

And my dad bought a banjo a few months ago, so he was excited to “perform” with it…

…and my brother brought his melodica, since an accordion would’ve been a little cumbersome to haul on a plane from Oregon!

We also had two new people join our group!  Jenn, who manages our MMS Milk Paint Instagram account, and her husband Mark.  This was our first time meeting him and we just threw him right into the deep end.  Nice to meet you.  Here’s a tambourine and can you stand over there and sing while we film it for You Tube?  Okay, thanks.

Both he and Jenn did an awesome job, especially given that neither of them have played a rhythm instrument while trying to sing before.

Unfortunately, Kriste and her husband weren’t able to join us this year, which was such a bummer!  Also, my youngest son, Calvin, wasn’t in a sing-for-a-you-tube-video mood, so we let him sit this one out.  (You can see him practicing his kazoo in the bloopers video.)

Anyway, here is the Christmas song for 2016 – Born is the King (It’s Christmas)…

And here are the bloopers…

After the practice and filming, we had some homemade soups, bread from a local bakery, and salad.  We hung out, chatting, and then had an impromptu sing-a-long.  That was really the highlight of the night for me.

My mom taught my dad, brother, and I how to play the guitar, and we used to sit around in the evenings and sing and play together.  We haven’t done that for years, so this was a special time.  I remember looking around and thinking that this will be one of those warm & fuzzy memories that stick.

mms-5169

I hope you make some of those memories with your family and friends this year.

So, to all of my readers, my fellow creatives, entreprenuers, and lovers of all things home, thanks for joining me in 2016 and I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas!

PS – Thank you so much to Lisa and Amy for the lovely gifts!

1. Melody

Beautiful! Thank you, Parsons & extended family for sharing your talents and love! Yes, those memories are keepers. I get teary-eyed every year watching your Christmas videos. And this year seeing Sebastian stroll around in the bloopers wagging his tail is adorable! What a blessing he is to your family. Thank you, Marion for MMS and your generous heart. Merry Christmas!! Love, Melody

2. Lynn Fowler

Thank you so much for sharing so much of yourself with us, your fans, admirers and dare I say it?, your friends. Cause that`s what it feels like. We are friends. Merry Christmas.

3. Sara

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Marion. Thank you for all you do. I sit down with my coffee and check your blog every morning. Such beautiful photography, and you are truly an inspiration for many people. I wish your business continued success in 2017. Happy New Year!

4. Marie Claire

Loved the song! Merry Christmas 🙂

Marie Claire

5. Angela

Loved it! This year I told my step daughter that on Christmas morning we are going to do a sing a long with her and her husband and our two grand daughters, they are 9 and 5 we will collect what ever we can for music instruments and I am going to record it. I can hardly wait! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• Blackjack

Go for it Angela! It will mean more than you can imagine to you and your family in the future. W (Marian’s dad)

6. Deanna Rabe

Merry Christmas, Marion and family and friends!

Rejoicing in the gift of our Savior!

7. phyllis

I’d forgotten about last year’s song 😀 Loved it then and love this now!!! This should be required in every family LOL, too fun …also…y’all have talent!!! Thank you 🙂

8. Laurena

Love this! Watching your parents play their instruments was a treat. The banjo sounds awesome! Oh and love your sister in law’s plaid shoes! Merry Christmas!

9. Cheryl Licht

Merry Christmas, Marian! Your Christmas song recording always makes me smile. The joy with your family and friends is truly contagious. Love it. Such special, fun times, I’m glad you can record it for down the road memories too. May God richly bless you this season and beyond.
    Love and Blessings,
    Cheryl
    PS – Love your song choice this year. My brother-in-law is a Hilllsong worship pastor in Australia, hearing that music strangely makes me feel a little closer to my sister and their family every time.

10. Angela

This is wonderful! My family and I enjoyed watching/listening. Merry Christmas, Marian.

11. Susan

That was great! Tell everyone thanks for sharing their talents. By the way, where’d you get all that hair? ?

12. Denise Cox

Marion, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!! I look forward to seeing what the year 2017 will bring in your great blog!!!

13. Penny

Marion,

I really enjoy watching this.Thank-you for sharing your special time with us this Christmas.

Blessings, to you, your family, and friends for a Merry Christmas

14. debra packard

Merry Christmas To you and your family, the song is beautiful. Can’t wait for 2017 and all the things you have in-store for all your readers.

15. Debbie Reynolds

Thank you for sharing your family and friends! This is my favorite Christmas song yet! Merry Christmas !!

16. Gavin from across the pint

We’re in the Wild West with a flaky 3G and person hot spot we have a log fire champagne and sushi tomorrow will be a walk on the beach. Happy holidays everyone wish you were here ?

17. Jeri

Thank you for sharing that beautiful song and all the talented family and friends. Merry Christmas from sunny California!

18. Deb

Merry Christmas from my home to yours.
    Thank you for sharing your musical talents with all of us readers!
    I can’t wait to see what the New Year brings! Health and happiness for all is my sincere prayer.
    Wishing all a very Happy New Year!

19. Karen K from Buffalo

Merry Christmas to you & your family. I loved the music! Continued blessings into the New Year!!

20. Marilyn

Thank you from one spending Christmas morning with my two dogs. You have made my day here in Australia. I am having a special lunch today with one newly found sister and birth mother. I am 62 and this is the first Christmas I will spend with them thanks to fb. Blessings to you and yours and much peace and happiness your way. Marilyn xo

• Kim

Really neat story. Merry Christmas

• AlisonG

Wow, congrats on such a special occasion.

21. Elizabeth

Awwww… Thank you for the song. That’s sweet of you and your extended clan. You look so cuuuute!

22. Cheryl

Awesome!! Merry Christmas!!

23. Kristyn Baker

Merry Christmas! Thanks for all the lovely inspiration on your blog!

24. Robbie Zeller

Aww! Merry Christmas to you all from San Diego! Loved your song….so much fun!

25. Lucy Doane

Merry Christmas Mustard Seed family. Loved both videos. Such great talent in your family. You have a beautiful voice.

26. Gilda

That was beautiful!
    Thank you and Merry Christmas!!

27. Lisa

Loved!

28. Irene

Marian, thank you so much for gifting us with your family’s Christmas song. I love music and I throughly enjoyed watching and listening. Merry Christmas to you and yours! Love celebrating my savior’s birth.

29. Mary Crozier

What a wonderful idea!!!! It was such fun to watch and you have a beautiful voice! Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family and friends. wow.

30. Joan

Thankyou so much for the sing song,JUST LOVED IT! had to SMILE SMILE SMILE ALL THE WAY THROUGH EVERY MINUTE! BLOOPERS TOO! LOL! loved watching and listening to all of you alot of talent and fun with all the instuments, wonderful camaraderie !*yes had to look up spelling for that word! LOL
    …thanks Marian! Merry Christmas Blessings to all of you also! ! ! !

31. B. Folk

What fun! I am just sending the last few e-cards to friends/family that I don’t have current mailing addresses for. Been a busy lead-up to the celebration day, so this was an end-of-day treat for me. We had candlelight service tonight, and will lift up our voices in praise again in the morning.Thanks for the video, you and your family look and sound wonderful! Merry Christmas!

32. Charlene

How lovely!! I enjoyed it all. May you have a Blessed Merry Christmas!!!

33. Margie

You are right, it will be one of those warm and fuzzy memories of Christmas that your family will always cherish! Thanks for sharing it with us. Merry Christmas!

34. Linda Moore

What a great holiday gift.Thank you!

35. Teresa

Enjoyed this so much! Love your blog! Merry Christmas!

36. Cheryl

Loved it!!

37. Michelle Okerlund

Merry Christmas! Loved the song and the bloopers! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, experience and ideas! You’re a very special and talented lady! Love your blog! I look forward to another year with you… and Sebastian too!

38. Cindy in Oklahoma

I loved this…. I talked a couple of girls in our family into singing solos on Christmas eve for their great grandmother and then several others joined in as the singing became infectious. It was the highlight of our gathering, too….

39. Deborah Delosreyes

Merry Merry Christmas MMS and family. God Bless

40. amy mogish

Merry Christmas and Thank you !

41. Caroline

So awesome Marian! How’s your Dad feeling? Great to see him performing and looking good.

42. Donna Smith

Loved it, thank you, wonderful that you share! Love, love that your parents were in it ! Everyone so talented!

43. Gina

Love this tradition!! Fabulous and this is one of my new favorite song too. 🙂 Haha, love the outtakes too!! Thank you!!

44. Jennifer Phipps

Okay, your husband has a fantastic voice!

45. AlisonG

Thanks for the song, very nice. The two in the back, the one with the scarf and the man behind her, have beautiful smiles. I am jealous. I got a fortune once that said “The most important thing you wear is your expression”. It looks like such a happy time for you all. Happy New Year. I hope it is a good year for us all.

46. Karen

Blessings to you and your family this holiday season! May Christ’s love abound among you and your family!

As much as I KNOW you deserve time off from your blog and quality time with your family, I am selfishly missing your posts this week!!

I am so looking forward to the new year and all the changes that may occur!!

God Bless!!

47. Julie B.

LOVE!!! Thank you for sharing this! I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes… of joy! God is good, and this reflects His Gift to us in a wonderful way!

48. Judith

Loved your song! Happy New Year!

49. April Mills

I love this song! We sing it in our contemporary worship service! Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

50. sdjsa

Thank you for sharing your family and friends!