Thanks for all of the great comments on the family gallery I am working on and wrote about yesterday. My mom and I worked on hanging the pictures tonight, so I’ll share photos of that soon. I also will write/film a tutorial on how I cut mats.
Today, I have a treat for wood lovers. I know some of you out there take issue with certain pieces I paint, but the thing is, I’m a wood lover, too! I don’t buy a piece of furniture unless it’s solid wood. I intentionally look for pieces that need some help…whether they have a damaged, hazy finish or chipped veneer. I don’t always paint, though.
I purchased this pretty side table off of Craig’s List for $35 a couple of years ago and have been meaning to fix it up. The finish was flaking a bit and there were plenty of water rings. I finally took it to the studio with me to strip down. Stripping paint is always a no-fun, pain-in-the-rear job, but this was totally worth it. The warmth and luster revealed is so pretty. (You can watch my video tutorial on stripping paint HERE.)
I finished it off by massaging a couple of coats of hemp oil to provide some protection and hydration.
I’m planning to paint the legs, but I’m not sure which color, yet. I brought it back home, so I could decide. I already have a lot of blues going on and the table is right next to a green chair. I’m thinking maybe Linen (a creamy off-white) layered over Lucketts Green or Shutter Gray. Thoughts?
While I had the paint stripper out, I worked on the mirror I purchased from an antique store for the upstairs bathroom. The shape and size were perfect and I knew I could fix the flesh-toned paint.
I thought the frame was wood and I quickly realized I was mistaken. It was actually plaster with a wood-grained paint effect. Meh. That was not what I wanted, but I already had the thing covered in goo, so I had to finish the job.
I usually design a room with a rough plan and then I wing it depending on the things I find for the space. When I hit the mirror snag, I decided I would paint it rich green. That wasn’t the plan, but it’s going to work nicely with the black, white and gray tones going on in the space.
I had some green fabric in my stash that I pulled out with the idea of using it as a sink skirt, so I tried to match the paint to that. I made up a custom mix that was a combo of Lucketts Green, Boxwood and Mustard Seed Yellow.
It took a couple of tries, but I got the color right. I also realized a couple of antique grain buckets I had on my prop shelf would look great on a shelf or hung on the wall.
So that’s the plan I’m going with now and we’ll see how it develops (or changes entirely!)
If you want a refresher on the plan for the upstairs bathroom, you can find that HERE. Now, the weather needs to cooperate, so we can get the tiling done!