The art cabinet is finished!
In case you forgot (or missed it), here is how it looked when I bought it…
Finding really cool hardware was a key part of executing my vision. I sourced these cast iron pulls from England on Etsy…
They were the perfect hardware to dress up the drawers. It was a little tricky installing them, though! The drawer dimensions were irregular and several were broken, so I had to eyeball a lot of the pulls, hoping they were lined up and level.
I painted the cabinet in MMS Milk Paint Grain Sack. I didn’t sand or prep the piece and I ended up with a lot more chipping than I wanted! I paint a lot of pieces and that doesn’t happen very often. There was just too high of a contrast between the off-white paint and the orange-tone wood. It was too busy and the hardware would’ve been lost.
So, I sanded the chipping paint to get off everything that was loose and rough up the surface. I then applied a coat of Tough Coat, our water based poly finish that also works as a primer/sealer. I followed that with two more coats of Grain Sack and finished with one coat of Tough Coat once I distressed the edges and high points with 120 grit sand paper.
I swapped out the antique wheels I tried initially with some steel wheels. I’ll share more on those in another post.
I love how it looks, but I am most excited about the functionality. I can’t wait to move all of my art supplies in and fill out those labels!
I left the top wood, so I could retain just a little bit of that pretty patina. The top wasn’t quite as orange as the rest also.
I also found a great desk, so I’m going to spend some time working on the studio and my “creative corner” over the next few weeks.
And, speaking of creating, I added a few more designs to my Society6 shop…