mason jar "snow globes"

by | Nov 19, 2014 | Decorating, german glass glitter, Holiday, Winter | 21 comments

I have to start off by saying how much I enjoyed reading all of the comments in response to my post yesterday.  In a way, it was very therapeutic for me to write and I’m glad it was encouraging to others as well.

This is definitely one of those not-new-at-all ideas, but they are so cute that I thought I would make a few mason jar “snow globes”.  Kriste is the one who introduced me to them and she pointed me in the right direction when it came to picking out cute things to put inside the jars…

mason jar snow globes | miss mustard seed

I found most of the items, as well as the jars, on Etsy and at antique stores.  We found a few of the bottle brush trees at Hobby Lobby.  At first, I was a little perplexed at how to fill the jars and Kriste got a good laugh at me.  Just give me a chair to upholster!  I tried building the scene on the lid, but the lid obscured most of it.  I decided to build the scenes on the bottom of the jars with the thicker lids.  I applied hot glue to the bottom of the deer and trees and stuck them to the bottom using needle nose pliers.  I then sprinkled the bottom with MMS German Glass Glitter in Fallen Snow (white).

mason jar snow globes | miss mustard seed

For the jelly jars with the thinner lids, I was able to build the scene on the lid and use the jar like a cloche.

mason jar snow globes | miss mustard seed

I love the little antique cast iron cow and the mini vintage bottle brush trees in this scene.  I gave them a heavy dusting of “snow”, which was made by mixing the Fallen Snow glass glitter and epsom salt.  The design on the jar makes it a little hard to see in the pictures, but it looks sweet in person.

mason jar snow globes | miss mustard seed

mason jar snow globes | miss mustard seed

mason jar snow globes | miss mustard seed

This glittered deer (done in MMS Tiara) with the mini bottle brush wreath (also dusted with Tiara) is probably my favorite one.

mason jar snow globes | miss mustard seed

More Christmas projects and glittery goodness to come…

And today, Jeff and I started sanding down the floors in the old part of the house.  We just worked on the edges of the office and hallway to get a head start before we rent the big floor sander.  Given the fact that we have to tape off everything and make a huge mess, we decided to just wait and do it all at one time instead of taping off, emptying out an cleaning each room twice.  Hopefully we’ll have the floors sanded before Thanksgiving, but we’ll see how it goes!  I’ll definitely share all of the details…

1. Karen

Oh so cute!

2. Kaille

These are so cute, Marian! Like everything you do 🙂

A little off the topic here, but can you tell me if there is any way to order your Look Book? There is a shop in town that carries your milk paint and your book, but they don’t seem to know anything about your look book. Is it possible to order it from you? I have been dying to see it!

Thanks so much!

Kaille

3. Sue Pagels

One of my favorite things to do – simple, fun, sweet and oh so Christmasy!!

4. Fiona, Lilyfield Life

Super sweet. Even though we have boiling hot Christmases and snow is the last thing on our minds, I think i’m going to make some of these for my kids. The last one is absolutely gorgeous. Fiona

5. debi m

Cute Christmas project – can’t wait to share it with my granddaughter. By the way, I’m anxious to see your post on refinishing your floors. My daughter just bought a total fixer-upper in Fairfield, and she really needs to refinish the hardwood floors. Any helpful hints or information will be greatly appreciated. Also,where do you buy the poly urethane or whatever you use to cover the sanded floor, and what type of covering is best to use? Can’t wait to see you post on this subject, or hear any advice you can share.

6. debi m

7. Teresa

Cute, easy project and so Christmassy! I need to dig out my old mason jars and try making a few.

8. April

yours are so cute…now I have to make one. I love the idea of covering an animal with glitter. We have lots of those little deer around here. 🙂

9. logan wilhelm

Love the jars and all the little stuff inside….especially the cow! Thanks for all the inspiration you share so often!

10. Nancy @ Slightly Coastal

I love them! I have always wanted to do this but then the holidays just get away from me. Too many projects, too little time! I’m moving this to the top of the list though! Thanks for sharing it.

11. Kimberly Bruhn

Marian and Kriste…what did you use to glue the jelly jar lid to the top of the jar?
    Thanks again for the inspiration….hope your floor(s) project goes smoothly!

• marian

I didn’t use anything. I would like to be able to open them, remove the Christmas scene and use them for another purpose. With the hot glue holding the trees and deer, those will just peel off and can be reused for other projects next year!

12. Sherry

These are just tooooo cute! Do you sell them? I am not a crafty person so no way I could make. The last one is the best, although I love the cow!

13. Kristin Averill

These are adorable! I wanted to make these last year with my granddaughter but was too cheap to spend almost $5.00 on the bottle brush trees. (at the time I could only find them at Menards). Well, they have them at Dollar Tree! My frugal self was soooo excited when I saw them. And I have the glitter that I won from you, so I’m stopping to get the trees and look for some little deer and whatever else I can find in the next few days. With the “way too soon” snow here in Michigan I’m ready to get Christmas going here 🙂

14. Robin

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did you fill with water? These are too cute!

• marian

Not a stupid question at all! No, we tested it out, but it really didn’t look good, so these are dry “snow globes”. 🙂

15. Naomi

These are darling little snow globes. I have to try one–or more. Great idea.

16. Taylor

An oldie but goody! Finding the little items would make quite the Christmas treasure hunt…the dusting of snow is perfect and the mason jars, have some just waiting for decorating. 🙂

17. GoneNative

I will try and make one or two in baby food jars, nice and small. If I can find the mini-parts here.