Even if decorating comes naturally and you have a great space to work with, there is still the possibility of getting stuck. It’s just normal and a natural part of the creative process. Some things come easily and others take more thought, time, and discovery. Such has been the case with this corner in my living room. I think this wall is a little tricky because it’s a fairly small stretch of wall between a doorway and built-ins. Whatever piece of furniture that is placed there needs to allow for the doors to open, work well with the built-ins, and also visually balance out the piece on the other side of the doorway. In my case, that is an antique hutch…
Shortly after we moved in, I hung a collection of ironstone plates over a wood dresser just to fill the space. I always pictured hanging a mirror there that would complement the shape and scale of the top of the hutch. I have hunted for one for well over a year…probably almost two…and I haven’t found one that’s just right.
A few months ago, I bought an antique basket and that got me moving things around again…trying this and that to see what might work. I ended up moving the birdcage, that has been tucked in the “tv niche” in the built-ins, on top of the dresser and I really loved it there. It gives a “hutch-like” look without being a hutch.
A couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to hanging the birdcage and I played some more. I topped it with ironstone sugar jars and put a dough bowl filled with moss balls underneath.
And I finished it off with some antique blue transferware places. As with all changes, it took me a day or two to get used to it, but I really love how it looks. I love that the birdcage is a real feature and that I have spot for my dough bowl, which has been in a closet for two years!
The dresser was a $50 craigslist score.
I hung the birdcage by mounting a 1×2 into the studs and then hanging the birdcage on the 1×2. I added one more 1×2 scrap towards the bottom of the birdcage to hold it plumb against the wall. I was afraid it might stand out from the wall too much, but it doesn’t at all. It looks very natural and it’s very sturdy.
Figuring out the places was a bit of a process. I originally tried just white ironstone and then a mix of solid white and blue transferware, but the blue transferware plates looked best in the end.
There’s still more to do in the room and tweaks to make. I’m going to work on the fireplace surround, add box beams and crown molding to the ceiling, and I think Jeff’s finally coming around on putting hardwood floors in this room. It doesn’t look like it in the photos, but this carpet is really starting to look worn and I just can’t stomach spending the money to put in more carpet when hardwood would be so much cleaner and longer-lasting.
It’s all a process – putting things in place, getting stuck, getting fresh ideas, trying new things, dreaming of possibilities…