Last night I asked Jeff if I could leave early for handbell practice, so I could pick up some paint on the way. He gave me a look. “What do you need paint for?” I answered casually, “The guest room.” Usually me buying paint isn’t a questionable event, but I have a lot on my plate right now and painting the guest room doesn’t really need to be on that plate. It can be served with the cheese course or dessert if there’s room left when the entree is done.
But, I really want to shoot the bed for the MMSMP look book and my in-laws would like to visit eventually (if it ever stops snowing around here) and I need to get the room put back together for them.
There’s DIY shrapnel everywhere at the moment.
Deciding to paint the room started with patching the walls. This room was the worst room in the house when we moved in. Well…the second. The old kitchen, now the home office, was the worst. This one was pretty bad, though. I think it was occupied by a teenage guy who had tacks and glow-in-the-dark sticky stars all over the wall. The floor was splattered with paint here and there. One of the attic doors was used as a dart board. Nice. To make matters worse, the walls are plaster, so they are really hard to patch.
I decided I should really work on the walls while I was changing things up. I went around with a hammer to pound in weird protrusions and places where the plaster popped out from a nail. (Jeff was trying to talk to me as I was beating the wall. He didn’t understand what I was doing, so he kept stopping to ask if it was really necessary that I pound the wall with a hammer.) Anyway, then I patched the holes. A lot of holes.
And I patched where the old bedside lights were hung to get ready for the new brass sconces.
And I sanded and scraped the walls once the patching plaster had dried. The walls still aren’t perfect, but they look better and the light wall color is forgiving. At this point, I was planning just the touchup the existing paint, which was a gallon of “oops” paint in Crisp Linen from Sherwin Williams. I went down to the basement to get the can and realized it was all dried up. Since the paint was an “oops” color, it may have been off a little, so I decided I should go with a fresh coat of paint, which the room really needed anyway.
I liked the creamy walls in this space, so I stayed in that world, but went with a cream that was a little cleaner and has less yellow in it. I chose Mascarpone by Benjamin Moore. It’s a beautiful cream and looks nice against the bright white of the trim and the colors going on in the fabrics and painted bed.
I wanted to add a little extra something, though, so I’m going to paint the ceiling a pale blue – Top Sail by Sherwin Williams.
I spent most of today on computer work and phone calls, but I had about 20 minutes before I needed to pick up the boys from school, so I cracked open the can of Mascarpone and started painting. It’s looking really nice and I hope to get some more done tomorrow.
Oh, and I found the fabric I want to use on the duvet! It hasn’t been made for over 10 years, but one of my readers has some in her fabric stash and is willing to sell it to me. Score!!
As a side note, the woman I hired to help me get ready for Lucketts started today. It happens to be Cari, the retailer of my milk paint line in Chambersburg, PA. She stripped down two chairs like a machine and took home the fabric to cut the pieces out for me. I can’t tell you how amazing it is to have the prep work done and to know my time is being multiplied. I should’ve done this a long time ago.
So, I took a gamble and bought some ironstone online last week, which I don’t usually do. For this reason…
Yeah, a piece of my ironstone-loving-heart broke when I unwrapped this compote. The Etsy seller is giving me a refund and was great to work with, but I was so sad a pretty piece of ironstone broke.
In happier news, I received the cake pedestal I bought and it was in perfect condition.
I’ll share more about this later, but I had to snap a picture of it…