As I shared in Monday’s post, I’m taking the time to work through small projects as I come across specific materials I purchased with the intention of making them. I think that’s one of the problems with being someone who likes projects – we’re always collecting materials, tools, and supplies for the next project. Or 15 projects. While I had the ironing board out and was already working on measuring, cutting, and sewing for the rice & lavender hot/cold packs, I decided to hem some linen towels and make a case for my embroidery scissors out of some scraps.
I purchased a couple of yards of THIS linen toweling when I was ordering some linen fabric for other projects with the intention of making some more kitchen dish towels. (They have all sorts of patterns and colors, too.) I washed and cut the fabric, but never hemmed it to finish the towels! I also had some scraps of antique linen toweling and grain sacks from other projects that I had been meaning to hem. I started this project last March and set it aside when there was a call to sew masks. I just never picked it back up again, but now was the time!
Toweling is already finished on two sides and is a good width to use as kitchen/hand towels, so all I needed to do was fold, press, and sew the raw edges on two sides.
I ended up finishing six towels in about 20-30 minutes. It’s funny how we’ll let projects sit around for so long when they are so quick and easy to complete! I need to try to remember that and complete small projects before I buy the materials for new ones.
If you’re curious about using linen towels, I wrote a post about them last year. (You can find that HERE.) I have acquired tons of linen towels, new and antique, over the years, but I rarely used them! I still used terrycloth towels that I bought from home stores. They always looked stained and messy, though, and took a long time to dry. I switched to the linen towels with a little skepticism. I wasn’t sure if they would be absorbent enough. But, I love them. They absorb water fine, they dry quickly, and they don’t look grungy after heavy use. I don’t know what it is, but the linen seems to be very forgiving with stains.
So, now I have a few more towels to put into the rotation, which is nice since I change them out every day or two. I also cleaned out my sewing project basket and can check another small project off the list.
While I had my fabric scraps out, I also made a little case for my embroidery scissors. They are beautiful brass scissors that I bought for my birthday last year. They came in a little plastic case, though, and they were always sliding out. They are quite sharp and I was tired of getting poked with them when fishing for them in my knitting/crochet project bag, so I’ve been wanting to buy a case for a while. I hadn’t found any I really liked and it’s no-spend February, so I decided to try making my own.
I used the plastic case as a template and made a little liner out of some tightly-woven linen and then cut an outer case out of am antique grainsack scrap.
You can see what a nice, precise, and straight sewer I am. A-hem.
My little pouch was looking pretty cute, though, after I ironed it and fitted it together.
I then hand-sewed the seams and the liner in place using a pretty off-white embroidery thread.
I realized shortly into the process, though, that the loose weave of the grain sack wasn’t going to look very neat and tidy with the blanket-stitched edge. I think this one will end up being my prototype!
It turned out sweet, but it definitely has a homespun quality about it.
I waffle between loving its imperfections and quirks and wanting to make a new one as soon as possible! Now I’ve learned on the first one, I think I could do a much better job on the second one.
I do want to put a snap on this one to hold the top flap closed, but it’s no-spend February and I didn’t have any snaps in my notions box. I even went through the house to see if I could find a pouch or something I could steal a snap from. I came up empty-handed, though. One of my Instagram followers is cleaning out her sewing notions and offered to send me a snap, so I’m taking her up on that!
I do plan on making another one, but this one works great for now, better than the plastic case, and I learned a lot in the process.