Before I get into today’s post, I wanted to announce the winner of the Sailrite sewing machine giveaway.  A big congrats to Missy Bun!  (I sent you an e-mail with the details on claiming your prize.  Enjoy!)

MMS_Divider

Now, onto the furniture makeovers!

I will start off by saying that I am totally in love with this little cottage-style dresser and those chairs.  Trust me, I tried to mentally find a spot for these in my house!  Hard.  I couldn’t, so they are getting sold.

painted chest & checked chairs | miss mustard seed

Here is how this dresser started…

mms-6120

It really was lovely just as it was and I even considered not painting it, but I decided to in the end.  It had a glossy poly that was applied at some point, after the piece was stripped of its old layers of paint.  It wasn’t the original finish, so I didn’t feel too bad about painting it.  I did strip and refinish the top, though, so I could still show off some of that pretty wood.

And here is how the chairs started.  The frames were perfect, but the upholstery needed a change.  Again, it wasn’t bad, but it just wasn’t my thing.  Also, the fabric used wasn’t an upholstery fabric, so it felt a little flimsy.

chairs before | miss mustard seed

We lightly sanded the piece and painted it in two coats of equal parts Grain Sack and Shutter Gray.  I think Megan and Kriste worked on this one…  We did quite a lot of furniture painting and between me, my mom, Kriste and Megan, I’m getting a little fuzzy on who did what!

Anyway, once the second coat was dry, I lightly sanded it to reveal some of the wood grain and to give the piece dimension.  I then painted some detail on the groves in the drawer in Linen.

milk painted cottage dresser | miss mustard seed milk painted cottage dresser | miss mustard seed

I stripped the yellowed, glossy poly off the top and finished it in two coats of Hemp Oil, applied about a day apart to allow the oil to soak into the grain between coats.

milk painted cottage dresser | miss mustard seed

This is another piece I left unfinished.  I love the matte finish of the natural milk paint and you can definitely see more color variation.  Another cool thing is you can actually see the limestone catching the light.  I wouldn’t leave every piece or every color unfinished, but it suits certain pieces.

milk painted cottage dresser | miss mustard seed

The hardware on this piece is pretty amazing.  Some of my favorite ever.

milk painted cottage dresser | miss mustard seed

And here’s another look at one of the chairs.  I reinforced the back with webbing, added some more batting to the seat and upholstered the arms.  I used a check fabric from a roll my aunt gave me, so unfortunately, I don’t know the maker or pattern name.  I think the pale blue and white checks combined with the shape of the frames and washed wood finish, give the chairs a definite Swedish/Gustavian feel.

checked chair | miss mustard seed

On our shopping excursions, Kriste and I tripped across a few woven foot stools and I’m really digging them!

woven foot stool | miss mustard seed

And I’m a little smitten with this blue & white ironstone teapot.  I don’t usually go for tea and coffee pots, but this one is just about the sweetest one I’ve ever seen.

ironstone teapot | miss mustard seed ironstone teapot | miss mustard seed ironstone teapot | miss mustard seed ironstone teapot | miss mustard seed

I will be selling it, though, along with just about everything else in the photo shoot at the Lucketts Spring Market, May 15-17, 2015 in Lucketts, VA.  I haven’t decided about the painting, yet.  That might be a keeper.

More makeovers and finds to come…

1. Laurie S

I think your Luckett’s booth is going to be amazing! I’ll bet you are all having a fantastic time preparing for it!

2. Rita C at Panoply

Aggghh – you’re killing me with all these great pieces! I went to Lucketts a couple weeks ago (their first outdoor flea), and I can only imagine the horrendous traffic you’re stirring with all these posts, lol. I know it’ll be an awesome show, and you’ve certainly outdone yourself already with the pieces you’re taking.
    Congrats to the winner of the sewing machine – your recommendation will certainly be on my mind when I do replace my machine.

3. Pamela @ FlowerPatchFarmhouse.com

Love that teapot! The detailing on the dresser turned out nice to, it adds just the right touch. As a decorative painter myself I am amazed at your patience with the tediousness of adding it. Though I do understand being able to lose myself in it when working so maybe it isn’t so tedious after all.

4. Tracy@www.bluridgevintage.com

I love that you didn’t paint the top of the furniture piece. I feel that it just brings a warmth to a room. The checked fabric on the chairs is great and I am sure your aunts are glad you are putting their fabric to good use.

5. Dorene @ Seasonal Chapters

All of these pieces are amazing and I love the cottage feel that the dresser has. It pairs wonderfully with the blue checked chairs. Your booth at lLucketts will be incredible!

6. Paige

Your photo styling never disappoints! I just bought my first bottle of your hemp oil and I may never wax again. I’m not sure what took me so long to get around to that , I’m a little slow on the uptake!

7. Judith

The dresser is gorgeous!!! Great job

8. Anya

Beautiful! I love the soft color on this dresser with the white accents. It looks so well paired with the pretty chairs and Ironstone. (I was wondering if you would mention that painting – I can completely understand if it stays on the ‘keep’ pile!!)

9. the uncommon pearl

The gingham gives such a sweetness to the chairs. I love the mx of Shutter Gray and Grain Sack on the dresser. I am so glad I saw this today as I just purchased these two colors to work on an armoire I have. <3

Continue having fun in your prep for Lucketts!

10. April

Oh la la! That dresser, those chairs, the teapot. Simply gorgeous! The dresser is VERY impressive.

11. Jelena

Everything in t his post is so pretty! I especially love the chairs. That blue check fabric goes so well with this p articular chair style!

12. Pam

Love it all too bad you arent closer to me…..

13. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline

Man I seriously wish I could be at your booth on the first day to see it all set up! I’m having some serious envy issues over the people that can afford the steep first day admission price. I have a feeling I’m going to miss seeing a lot of your inventory in person because it will be gone already! Yay for you, but boo for me. 😉

14. Naomi S.

That little dresser is lovely. You did a great job. Bet it won’t last long at Lucketts!

15. Jennifer

Now that is a blue and white check pattern that I LOVE! Excellent job with all three pieces. Makes me think of spring!

16. Mary

Wonderful makeover!! Love the blue and white checked chairs, especially, but am also loving the wood stained top of the dresser combined with the painted bottom. I’m a huge fan of Swedish & Gustavian design so these soft colors and chalky finishes really speak to me. I sooo wish I lived near VA so I could visit your booth but alas…I’m in the northeast. Best of luck with it!

17. carol

Dear Marion How do you like your sailrtite now. I am thinking of buying one. If you can send a email to me. I would so appreciate it. I live in va & plan to attend the 3 day event in May

18. Jill

I think I need everything in this photoshoot. Including the painting. Oh my. Can you tell me the price of the chairs? I expect to be there. Thanks.

19. Tash

Beautiful!! It doesn’t seem to show a photo of the dresser before it was “mustardized” – did you have one at all? Curious to see the transformation in all it’s glory 🙂 Wonderful post, once again – I just love reading these! Thanks so much for the inspiration. Blessings x