Basement Family Room Makeover | Priming & Painting the Walls

by | Jul 19, 2021 | All Things Home, Decorating, Family Room, My House, Room Makeovers | 101 comments

I made some more progress on the basement family room makeover late last week and over the weekend.  It’s feeling good to see it come together, little by little.

The first thing I did is I played around a little bit more with things I already had.  We’ve decided that we do like the arrangement of wing chairs, so I’m going to be on the hunt for a round pedestal table and a chandelier to hang over the table.  I had a dry sink that belonged to my Opa that was displaced in the furniture shuffle, so I tried it just to the right of the stairs.  I added a mirror and lamp from my stash and some old chairs from our last kitchen table (they belonged to Jeff’s grandparents.)  The vacuum, of course, balances out the arrangement.

basement family room makeover | miss mustard seed

I would paint the dry sink, but the scale of everything is actually quite nice.  It breaks up that long wall a bit and provides some more storage.  It was free to try and I think it might be a keeper.

After stalling a bit, I finally broke open a can of primer.  I used a mid-tone primer by Farrow & Ball for the walls.  When I shared this on Instagram and several people asked why I was priming the walls prior to painting them.  There are a couple of reasons…  1.) I’m trying out Farrow & Ball paint for the first time and I want to test out how the paint goes on a primed wall vs. a wall that is just wearing some old latex paint.  I’ll let you know if the primer makes a difference and is worth the time and expense.

basement family room makeover | miss mustard seed

2.) I was painting over a lot of patches and drywall repair.  Priming will give uniformity to the paint.

basement family room makeover | miss mustard seed

I will admit that rolling on the primer was a bit anticlimactic since it was almost the exact color that was already on all but one of the walls!  But, it didn’t take long and it did provide me with a nice, uniform surface.

basement family room makeover | miss mustard seed

I decided to work two walls at a time so it’s not such an overwhelming project and it causes less upheaval in the room.

On Sunday afternoon, I painted the first coat on the two primed walls.  I wanted to share that one of the paint cans arrived like this…

basement family room makeover | miss mustard seed

The reason I’m sharing it, though, is this can simply happen when a can of paint is shipped.  It was very well packaged and all of the other cans were intact.  The bag also prevented it from making a mess in the entire box, which I really appreciated.   And, Maria from Dreamy Whites (where I ordered the paint), immediately sent me a replacement, even though this can is still useable.  Accidents are going to happen, but how the retailer responds speaks to the quality of the company and a confidence in their products.

And, oh man, this color is so beautiful.  It’s Oval Room Blue by Farrow & Ball and I am so glad I picked it!  It looks rich and classic.

basement family room makeover | oval room blue | farrow & ball | miss mustard seed

It went on beautifully over the primer.  I’ll paint a wall without the primer and let you know how it compares, but I can tell it provided nice adhesion for the paint.  While the coverage was great, it will require one more light coat just to make sure the color is uniform, which is what I was expecting.

And, it looks stunning with the built-ins, which was one reason why I selected this color.  The green undertones compliment the red in the built-ins, making for a classic combination.

Here’s the big question that I’m mulling over, though.  Should I paint the trim and doors in Oval Room Blue as well?  I can’t decide if the white trim is a nice accent or a distraction.

The trickiest part is I have white plantation shutters and I really don’t want to paint those.  The mantle will be painted in Oval Room Blue and I will be painting the fireplace surround with the same technique as I used in the living room.  (You can find that tutorial HERE.)

basement family room makeover | miss mustard seed

I’ll also be painting the wet bar built-ins and the banister…

(Sorry the pictures are a little crummy in this post.  I was just snapping them quickly with my phone and it’s a little darker down there.)

What are your thoughts?  Could I paint the mantle, banister, and cabinets and leave the trim white?  Should I paint the doors?  Should I just paint it all?  But then could I leave the blinds white?  So many options…  What would you do?

The good news is that I don’t have to make a decision right now.  I can get everything else painted, get the curtains up, work on the furniture, etc., and then I can decide down the road.  I think we put pressure on ourselves to have it all figured out before we even start on the room, but we can just take it one step at a time.  It might take longer, but it will usually prevent mistakes, rushing things, forcing things, and regrets.

So, with this makeover, I’m just taking one step forward, seeing how it feels and looks, and then taking the next step.

1. Emily Bennett

If you paint the trim and doors blue, I would go with a slightly darker shade of the same blue. But then, I would paint the built-ins, mantle, handrail and shutters that color, too. If you’re not wanting to paint the shutters, I think you should leave the other trim, handrail, etc, white, as well.

• Rebecca -NC

Farrow and Ball is a British paint and works well painting with it the way they do. My husband is from Buckinghamshire and it’s odd for him to have trim that is painted a different color. I say go outside your comfort zone, experiment, and try a European design element!! I think it will make the room feel more masculine and library-ish. Have fun!! I hope to see your decision soon!! 😍

• Sharon K.

A suggestion – if you are leaving your built-ins as is, maybe stain your bannister to match them, leave the mantle as is, and paint the surround the same creamy color as the trim and the plantation shutters. That will keep the room from becoming too dark.

• Kelly

I agree with you 😊

• Janice Hammett

I would leave the white door and paint trim, handrail, and mantle white also.

• beverlee

what I think also.

• Monica

My vote, as well

• ruth newton

I agree. The white adds a nice contrast and looks clean.

• Elena M.

That’s my vote, too. I think the white doors and trim will balance with a white mantle, white stairs and the shutters. Or leave the mantle as is, just do your thing to the granite.

• Joanne

I agree with this choice of going all white on the trim, mantle and handrail. You could even go with a faux Delft tile stencil treatment on the fireplace surround to marry the blue and white in the room, while staying very traditional.

• Ronda

Emily, I really like your suggestions on the painting color. It will go well with the dark cabinets. Good one girl!

• Patsy Bahl

First. Thank you for encouraging us. Im still learning the slipcover thing and I’m going a little easier on myself.
      Second I know a crazy lady that has a chandelier…or 8 !! Same style as your dining room one.
      I’m thinking about setting up at a show close by but im still on the cliff and it looks pretty darn far down there.

2. Teddee Grace

I’d wait, but I think the two colors of wood and two colors of paint are visually distracting.

• Marian Parsons

I agree! There is just a lot going on in this room with different wood tones, the trim, the walls, the cabinets. I will take it one step at a time, but that’s a part of what I’m hoping to address, so it all feels cohesive.

3. Judeth

I would leave the trim white, they stand out against that beautiful blue.

• Lisa P

Taking the time to see how each step looks before deciding on the next one is SO HELPFUL! Having said that, it is very appealing to me to try doing the trim in the same colour as the walls (European style, as someone mentioned above). Great that you can decide once you’ve got other painting finished. However you decide to combine things, I’m sure it will be beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• Eve

I like to think of my rooms, especially walls, as a picture I am painting. I usually end up framing all my pictures. Therefore, I consider the trim as my framing for the picture. I would paint the trim white. I believe it will only enhance the picture you’ve painted, walls and decor. I do not think it will distract from the overall result you are trying to achieve.

4. Betsy

Since your husband doesn’t want the built ins painted I would keep the white. It tones the built ins down. The wall color is just beautiful!

5. Rhonda

LOVE the Oval Room Blue paint! It’s perfect for your home. And I do think the white trim is wonderful with it. I have F&B Cromarty in my dining room and it is fabulous!

6. Julie

Personally I like the white trim. I think it looks fresh and crisp.

7. Camille

I have to agree with leaving the trim white. I think it sets off the Oval Room Blue wonderfully.

8. Babs

I would keep the doors and trim white to compliment the white shutters. If you find it too distracting, you can always paint out the doors and trim at a later date. Since all your doors and trim are white upstairs in the main house, I think white would contribute to an overall unity.
    The color is just stunning! What a cozy room you are creating.

9. Mary Noel

Love the white trim against the blue. Do leave it white!

• Michelle

Love it !
      May I ask where the leather chair is from ?

• Wendy

I think leave trim and doors white; paint banister and cabinets the same white. I like your ideas for fireplace.

10. Diane P.

It’s a hard one, the two wood finishes are competing with one another but perhaps some of your soft furnishing, like pillows and curtains could include some of the white trim color to tie it all together. I do agree that you should wait and let the ideas marinate for awhile,. The answers that suit your style will come in time. I just did a room and I can honestly say most of the original plan ended up being changed and I love the results. Good luck and enjoy the process, it’s looking wonderful!

11. Cora

White trim for sure. I would even paint the handrails white and just let the beautiful F&B color stand alone as the wall color. If the bar is the same wood finish as the built-in, why not just leave it alone? I love white cabinetry, but if you are leaving one, why not the other? I think it is very in keeping with the basement man cave look.

12. Diane P.

I just looked at the pictures again and noticed the trim color is your cow painting and frame which could help tie it all together.

13. Kathy L

If it were my room I would just do the walls. and leave everything else as is.

14. Karen

As usual, I’m the one with the different opinion! I’d paint the trim the same as the wall color, EXCEPT the window trim. I’d keep the shutters and window trim white. I’d change the sheen of the woodwork and baseboards to a satin if the walls are eggshell, or a shine “up” from whatever the walls are.

I feel like walls & trim are more traditional, whereas white trim feels more modern.

The great thing is, you can hold off if you aren’t certain. But to me, matching trim is more cozy, less coastal.

• beverlee

that sounds more visually cohesive, and not so many places to look. Great ideas.

• Lisa P

• Kris

I also agree with you, Karen. The white trim gives the room a different feel, not the club atmosphere that I think Marian is going for.

15. Karen Harrison

I love the blue! I would paint the mantle and stair rail white like the trim and blinds for consistency. You could paint the bar area blue if you must. I never like when the trim and walls are the same. It all runs together.

• Theresa

I’d paint the stairway white to match the trim and leave the built-ins stained. You could also paint the mantle of the fireplace white. Beautiful color on the walls.

16. Tracy

I’m probably the only one to say this but, I would paint it all the same color. I usually go for white trim but I feel like there’s too much going on in this room and lately I’m loving the all one color look. It would be beautiful with the wood cabinets. I’m not sure about the plantation blinds, perhaps save them for last and decide.

• Victoria

I agree with Tracy. The white doors and trim are too visually distracting. It may look good to leave the shutters and their trim white though, since they frame the light from outside.
      I also like one of the ideas above to leave the wet bar wood matching the built ins.

17. Judy

I’m such a traditionalist, (boring!) so I would keep all of the trim, doors, banisters, shutters and the mantle either white or creamy off white. However, your home is BEAUTIFUL so I’m certain what you ultimately decide will be lovely!! The wall color is gorgeous!!

18. Karen

I would ask myself if the current white is a good white for your paint? Is it too cool or too yellow? Then next I ask if I like the contrast or want to downplay the contrast. I’m would probably paint it but I know it is a lot of work to paint trim. But I love the look of painted trim right now.

19. Mary Anne Berry

I think I would keep the white trim, but waiting until everything is in place is a good idea. It will be easier to decide whether the room is too busy…or just right.
    That color is absolutely beautiful!

20. Diane L. Christy

I am shocked to say that I favor painting the trim. You’ve created an entirely different vibe down here and I think leaving the trim white is a little too precious. Since you’re doing curtains, even if they’re not drawn across the windows, the shutters will look OK left white. TAKE A CHANCE on painting the trim! The color is glorious.

• Amy J.

I agree. I’d go tone on tone for the entire room! It will look it more “English study” that way. Right now, there’s too much going on in that space. The dark built-in is dominant and the wall color sets it off in a good way. All the angles being contrasted with the white is visually distracting. Leave shutters white. If they look odd, you could always spray them too, but I think they’ll be fine.

• Erin

I read the comment above from (England?) I cannot remember the country now but the trim and walls are the same color. Although not our first choice here I think it could be very pretty in your room. Soothing and quieting to the eye. I love what you’re done so far!

21. Dianne

After you get the walls all painted you will see if the white goes well with it. I would paint the stair rail white too. (Or part, to see if it goes with the blue walls.) I would start out by leaving the mantel wood and see how it looks with the blue, and do the surround the technique you did upstairs. It is looking so great and you are inspiring us to take on projects. Slow steps are good with these big decisions. Adding your fabrics will make a difference too . . . you will see how it will all come together!

22. Colleen

So interesting that you went with a British paint and a color that is very traditional in British houses. Probably has something to do with your British ancestors.

23. Cassandra E

I love this color. I think it resembles the color of my bedroom, and I’ve wondered how I’d ever replace it. It was a clay based paint I bought and can no longer get.
    I do love monochromatic paint, but I also think white trim is actually traditional and not modern. Don’t tell your husband, but it brings to mind the Jane Austen Regency period. It’s a tough call, given the parameters, (keep builtins wood, keep shutters white), but I lean toward white trim.
    Another thought is that you could paint the staircase trim white, but I’m not so sure about the blue. That seems really modern to go all blue. I think it would look nice, but you seem more like a traditional person. This did not help, I am sure.

24. Kit T.

Why not paint the trim et.al. In a little bit darker shade of your walls?

25. Jessica

Personally I would leave the trim white, I think it adds some light against the darker paint color and the wood built ins. I don’t think it’s a distraction.

26. Lauren May

I’m on Team Trim Blue. I think it will look like a Downton Abbey deep library color and create a cohesive look. I’d even paint the doors and door trim blue. The only white I’d leave is the plantation shutters and the stair banisters (so the white has a partner and eliminates one of the wood tones).

Thanks for hearing me out, but I have no doubt you will make the absolutely best choices. 💙

27. Catherine

Hobby Lobby craft store has amazing plug in hanging lights.
    Do you have this store in your area ?

I would not paint doors & trim or plantation shutters.
    But would paint fireplace & entertainment bookshelf door color. Yes to painting the hand rail.

28. Janice

I think you should leave all the dark wood as it is, bar and mantle, and make the staircase work with the dark wood. Then decide on the door and trim. If the stair spindles are white with a dark handrail it would go well with the white trim.

29. Leslie

I think the white might look a bit stark, so if it were me I think I would paint everything blue! It’s such a gorgeous blue. But of course the important thing is that you love it, so do what feels right for you!

30. Toni

White trim – like the rest of the house

31. Christie

LOVE the paint color! I personally would do the trim/door the same as the wall in one part, and see if I liked it. If so, continue with the trim AND (controversially) the shutters as well to be the wall color. (Painted shutters is such a classic vintage look.) I’d gel stain the handrail the same color as your cabinets versus painting, and then leave all of the cabinets wood. It will be truly an English library style if you leave the wood, but paint the trim/walls darker. But whatever you decide will look lovely as always! I love the leather chair in there with what you have going on. Leather is so classic!

32. Cindy

It’s going to be beautiful. Love the color! For many years I had my living room walls painted in Crown Point Sand by Benjamin Moore in an eggshell finish. The trim on the baseboards, window frames, and mantel was white. One year I decided to do a fresh coat on the trim and went with the Crown Point Sand in a pearl finish exclusively on the trim and mantel. The room is small as living rooms go, so I was pleased with the uniformity that having the same color over all brought to the room. Painting the fireplace mantel and all the trim in pearl gives it a subtle difference because the sheen reflects light differently than the eggshelll sheen on the walls. The trim disappears and blends in versus standing out (like when it was painted white). Maybe try it in one area to see if you like it.

33. Meredith

What if you paint the trim and/or doors cream? It isn’t a huge leap from the white, but is a warmer option that will compliment your theme well. I don’t think painting then the same colour will look right. I have a double door closet in my mudroom, where I did board and batten. All the trim work is cream, but I decided to leave the doors white since they were already freshly painted and it offered a hint of contrast. I was worried it would look a bit odd, but actually, I like the subtle contrast. It would allow you to keep the white shutters, but also soften the overall appeal. It’s looking beautiful, that colour is perfect with the built-ins. But most of all, the vacuum just finishes the whole thing perfectly. All in the details! 😄

34. Susan

It’s looking great. I’d wait on the doors and decide later. You want to avoid it looking like Mr. Bean’s apartment when his idea to use a paint sprayer went awry (great episode if you haven’t seen). When it’s time to make the final decision maybe you can use an app to see what it would look look like.

35. Nancy

I’d definitely go with the white on all you mentioned. You said yourself that “it gets dark down there”. Plus I can’t see it anyway but with an all white shutter. I think you’ll need the definition and as much light as you can get.

36. Jo Ann Bohannon

If you could possibly use the blinds in another place or sell them, why not match some blinds to the cabinet you are leaving in a wood tone? If you leave the shutters I think the drapes will be critical to pulling it all together, maybe a white or light color with some blue and brown in shades of wall snd furniture.

37. Liz Hall

Waiting is a great idea. Also u could paint the French doors & trim the wall color & leave the window trim and blinds white. The doors & trim will recede into the background & the builtins will be the star.

38. K. Rochester

Could you stain the staircase railing with a stain that matches the other wood tones of the room? (If you were to decide to keep all of the cabinets and built-ins as is, this seems like a cohesive way to blend the wood elements. ) Just a thought 🙂

39. Tori

Hi, Marian! Wow, that color is so lovely, and especially with your dark woodwork. I believe I would leave the trim white, since you have mentioned the basement is a rather dark space. It adds a touch of light and brightness and avoids the space feeling too solid blue everywhere. To me, it makes it feel more like you, with your love of blue & white. 💙🤍
    Also, I love the leather chair by the bookcases! It adds a great touch of masculinity, without being bulky. It’s all looking so good!

40. Barbara Sullivan

Take it one step at a time, and the answer will become apparent to you. Glad to see Eulalie again. I wondered what had become of her!

41. Susie

I always love whatever you end up doing! I’d leave the shutters and trim on those windows white-I just feel like shutters are made to be white. That’s where natural light comes in, so it makes sense to keep those light. And maybe French colors white to compliment. Everything else could be painted.

42. Dauphine

I think I would leave the white, white. I would not paint the mantle or the fireplace surround. I think when you treat the tile it will still look good. I think I would paint the stair rails the same color as the walls, then the woods won’t clash, or stain them the same color as the cabinets.

43. Sherri

Beautiful color! So many opinions. I would leave the shutters white and paint the stair handrails and spindles white to balance it. I find that medium to dark wall colors weigh me down after a while, so I would leave the doors white too. Maybe your fabrics will tie it all together. Thanks for sharing your home and life with us.

44. Pat

Love the color you chose!! I personally like the white trim and would leave it as it gives a bit of lightness to the room. I’m sure some of your fabrics will pull the blues, browns and touch of white together. It’s looking great!!

45. Codysue Congdon

Be brave! Paint it all blue with the exception of your lovely plantation shutters.

46. Alice Blackmer

Love the paint choice, Marian. I would be very tempted to order new shutters in the same dark wood as the built ins. Very clubby and European. And yes, go continental and paint all the trim and doors the oval room blue. Use lighter fabrics and rugs to bring some ‘whiteness’ into the room. The banister is so small…could you replace with dark wood or even wrought iron?

47. Gayle Stewart

I love the color of blue that you picked! But I definitely would leave the doors and trim white. It is a very “soft” white and it sets off the blue beautifully. I would also paint the banister and railing white. Blue and white is a classic, timeless choice and I know you are a fan of that combination. Whatever you decide, I’m sure it will be gorgeous!

48. Cheryl

My vote would be to paint the trim the same color as the walls which by the way is absolutely gorgeous and looks stunning with the built ins. I personally find the white trim distracting…

49. Lisa P

We have a painted banister and spindles on our stairs and I really dislike the way the paint gets marked up, chipped off and “dirty” from hands so quickly; it feels hard to keep it fresh — I wish we had stained and finished the wood instead. So I would resist painting the stair banister.

The wall paint choice is fabulous and looks so good with the contrasting reds in the built-ins. I like the white trim on the doors, but I do see that there is a lot going on in the room.

50. Kim

I’m a one-thing-at-a-time girl so after the wall paint, I’d work on the stairs which is the least cohesive thing in the room. Stain to match the built ins or white to match the shutters? That would be my next focus.

51. Dreama

Marian – please tell me where the brown leather chair is from. Love it and looking for one for my home office.

• Marian Parsons

It is a great little chair from Arhaus. Unfortunately, it is retired from their website!

52. Darcy Marie

“The vacuum, of course, balances out the arrangement.” My favorite part of your post….literally made me laugh out loud!

I think going with the wall color would be a nice change and look great, except the light issue you mentioned. White for all trim, doors, bannister, and cabinets would definitely help lighten it up and bring it altogether. (Maybe Jeff will cave and let you have at those built ins 😁) But mostly, I feel it gives you a better, more neutral, backdrop for your lovely old wood furnishings!

But you’ll figure out what works best for your home!!!

53. Shelley Humpal

Marian your instincts are always spot on. Paint the railing, fireplace surround and all trim except the windows then decide. The proper answer will present itself. Though the white is beautiful with the paint I feel it is distracting. I just painted my bathroom everything the same color including the ceiling and I love it. It turned it into a little jewel box. I think your room will be the same. Cant wait to see what you decide.

54. Barbara

I agree with Shelley. We are just finishing a bathroom remodel, painted Wales gray and I painted the woodwork and door same color and sheen as the walls. I love it!

In your room the paint looks so good with the wood and it won’t be distracting. Everything you do is gorgeous!

55. Karen B.

I’ve never known a man that wants stained wood painted white. Haha. I can remember when I was blogging I did a post about those all pine paneled walls and ceilings and mentioned how the men loved that kind of room. I sure love the Farrow & Ball color you selected. It’s lovely and I have full confidence that you will figure out what will look best.
    xo,
    Karen

56. Nancy Daniels

I like the contrast of the white trim.

57. Dallas

Try adding in more white accessories to see if that balances the room out. If not, then I would paint all the doors and trim in Oval Room Blue (F&B Light Blue might work as well) and see if the shutters look out of place. If they do, I would temporarily remove those shutters (store them until you redo the room) and replace with something which works (maybe slatted horizontal blinds in the same colour as built ins to give that Gentleman’s Club/Sherlock feel).

58. Karen Hancock

Love how it’s all coming together. I like the idea of leaving the trim and doors white for now. Live with it for a while and make your decision later. Here’s an example of painting a dark wood cabinet that illustrates the transformation: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPy3bXBsE4X/

59. Frances M Kaklikian

I would leave the white trim and doors. It might be to bland/machty machty all the same.
    The new color is gorgeous!

60. Debbie

Wow, we all have a lot to say. For a gentleman’s club vision I think the white has to go. The blue is gorgeous with the wood paneling. I’d leave the mantel alone and also leave the black tile. It anchors the firebox, adds depth and gives more of an old world look. I feel if it is painted a lighter color the firebox will look like an oven door just sitting there, lol. I also like woodwork a few shades darker than the walls. It would be easier though to keep everything in one color and in the long run would probably be fine. As for the shutters well, I guess spraying them is the only answer. The light and airy white appeals to us girls and I’d want to paint all the wood also but, I can see your vision of the club room and that just wouldn’t do. I love what you have done so far and I know you will find your way.

61. Monica

I think the white may be too stark against the blue, but what about a 1/4 or 1/8 tint of the blue? It would still provide a subtle but noticeable contrast.

62. Babs

All this talk of painting the trim with the wall colors makes me remember something my mother (a true New Yorker) would always say. If you were to paint the trim the same as the walls she would have called that a “Bronx Job.”..meaning it looked like you painted everything with the same paint just to make it easy and fast. Believe me, it wasn’t a compliment!

• Kim

Yes, like how they do it with apartments.

63. Jay

I associate using the same color trim and walls, to a slapdash or utilitarian paint job. It reminds me of off campus housing from college, where the landlords bought oops cans of paint and slathered the house top to bottom.

I like the definition of the white trim. Eventually your artwork, wall hangings, upholstery and curtains will soften the contrast between the cabinetry, walls and white trim.

64. D Cox

I assume you leaving the built-ins with the current finish. I always love everything you do so I’m not even sure why I am commenting! But, I think you should paint out everything in the blue except what you want to stand out. And, I would leave the shutters white.

65. Kim

Wow, there is a LOT of contrast going on in that room right now. My #1 solution would be to ditch the red stained cabinets! That is the elephant in the room. But since those have to stay, and you are going for a dark club type solution, then everything white will have to go, even the shutters. That is why it seems so much easier to paint the cabinets instead of all the rest. I really don’t like the wall paint color contrast with the cabinets either. The wall paint looks great with the white though! Like someone else said, I’m sure my comment doesn’t help, but I do think that the chief problem is the cabinet wood (and also the wood on the stair rail). I would actually paint those cabinets white or the same color as the walls if you wanted them to disappear, or look more colonial.

66. Mary

In my opinion, if you paint everything in the blue, it will lose its “special-ness” and everything will meld together. Also being in the basement, the white trim and mantle will help to keep the room light and airy. I do like the idea of staining the handrail and leaving the spindles on the stairs white. I think if you paint the built ins at the bottom of the stairs the same blue as the walls it won’t even show up.

Love the colors, the wingbacks and the leather chair…everything you do is awesome!

67. Jenny

I think I like the idea of the white trim, especially taking the shutters into account. But, if you’re going to paint the exercise room Oval Blue as well, you could try painting the trim in there in the OB since the amount of trim is limited, and you’d be able to get a more concrete idea of how it would look.

68. Jennie Johnson

That is such a beautiful color! I love the idea of painting the doors to the exercise room the same as the wall color–it seems very European. I think leaving the shutters white would be fine, especially since you will be doing drapery that will help tone them down. Thanks for letting us follow along!

69. Dionne Street

I vote for white trim and leave the plantation shutters white. It’s so beautiful as is!

70. Erica H

I would paint the banister white and leave the doors and doors and blinds white. If you live with it for a year and don’t like it, you can paint them later.
    I would also paint the mantle a different color than the walls – either white or a darker shade of your wall color.

71. Susan Pries

After seeing your inspiration photos, I like the idea of painting the trim and doors that lovely blue also.

72. Lulu

Beautiful paint color. Love the look! I like the idea of painting trim/doors, etc. all one color (exception entertainment center as requested by your hubby). See the links below for before/after pics. I am thinking of doing this as well in my own home (guest room). Regarding the blinds, maybe you could add a blue tape. You’re home is beautiful and always inspiring!

73. Jean

You always come out with a great product but I love high contrast in most design, high definition in garden spaces and Eric Satie in music… go figure.

74. Lillian Weddle

THERE’s Eulailie snuggled in the den w/ family! 💗

75. Robbie Zeller

I love F&B oval room blue. I am a big fan of monochromatic painting. I’d just paint that gorgeous color everywhere you think of it!!

76. Lynnett Ratchford

Leave the trim white, paint the bannister white and leave the built-ins stained. I do like the blue color. It goes well with the dark cabinets, and the white is a nice accent not a distraction. Besides, it you paint the trim blue also, you would have an awfully lot of blue down there. You said yourself it was rather dark. The white is a needed lightener.