I think you will agree that a before and after is more enjoyable than a before and quit-in-the-middle. But that is the truth of furniture rehab or DIY in general. Sometimes projects are abandoned.
Several months ago, I bought two upholstery projects. I was on the furniture-makeover-victory high from finishing the tufted sofa, so I felt like I could tackle anything. The “deconstructed chair” that turned out not being deconstructed was one of them…
It took me a few months, but I did finally finish that piece.
With a happy ending, I might add.
This settee was the other one…
Before I even started working on it, I received an e-mail from a regular customer asking to buy the settee once it was finished. She loved the style and the size was perfect for her space.
Oh, a buyer already! That will be great motivation to get this piece completed and sold.
Well, beyond all rational explanation, it sat in pieces for months…
…waiting to be upholstered in this beautiful gray linen I found at a flea market.
Kriste and I chipped away at it here and there. I would groan and resign to Kriste that we should probably do some work on the poor, neglected settee that someone really wanted to buy. We ended up sewing all of the cushion covers, cut out fabric pieces, made all of the piping and double welting, so I just needed to finish it.
A couple of months ago, as Lucketts prep was just starting to go into full swing, I decided it was time to stop avoiding this piece and finally get it finished. All of the pieces were cut out and the cushion covers were even already made. (We had been chipping away at them here and there over the months. )
So, I had made the decision and started with great enthusiasm. This was the day! It was going to be finished!
I got to the end of the day and had about 80% of it done. The picture below was the last one I took, but I got one entire side and the back finished…
…and I was done. I just could not.
I seriously could’ve hauled it to a dumpster all by myself just so I never had to look at it ever again! It wasn’t that it was bad, but I wasn’t 100% happy with how it was turning out. I knew I wouldn’t be proud to sell it and I have a very hard time selling things I’m not proud of.
I sent an e-mail to the woman who was interested in purchasing it and let her know where I was. It was mostly finished, but I was not going to finish it. If she would like an 80% done settee and the fabric to finish it, she could have it all for free.
I know she felt awkward about it, because she kept offering to pay me at least something for it, but I kept assuring her that she was saving me a solo trip to the dumpster and was, therefore, doing me the favor.
So, if you have ever been defeated by a piece of furniture…
…you’re in good company.